Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Remi's new obedience trainer

I am so happy for you and Remi. Positive training to show a Bully what you want is just the most rewarding. Your bond is just going to deepen. They respond so well to this type of training. All I need to do now is look at Miss T and she knows what I want - well....most of the time anyway....

“Happiness is a warm puppy.”
    Charles M. Schulz

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

I haven't gone to a professional trainer for any of my dogs. We've always just "winged it". My husband has this natural thing about him that dogs respond to. He is having a bit of trouble with Angus because Angus gets really scared of him. He is some super omega dog that the first week we had him, when the doorbell rang, all the dogs run barking to the door while Angus runs with tail tucked to the far corner... And the first time he ate on his stainless steel bowl, his dog tags hit the bowl and made a clanging noise which caused him to turn tail and run to the corner and he didn't eat for a few days! So, Angus would cower and hide when my husband gives him a command... it worked okay though because then he listens to me very good. He responds to my hand signals perfectly! Bullie is more stubborn.

But, yeah, Congratulations on finding the perfect trainer! They can be really hard to find that it's such a blessing to have one that works very well with your babies.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tooleysmom View Post
    I worked with Miss Tallulah and the exact same type of trainer. We did clicker training at first. When Miss T understands what I want I don't use the clicker until I need to begin a new behaviour. It makes for a positive bonding experience and the rewards of a content and relaxed Bully are so worth it. Miss T was pretty anxious and clicker training combined with positive reinforcement has been wonderful. As I have said in many posts, she is calm, loving and eager to please. We are now enrolled in Mind Games which will involve intense clicker training for complex behaviours for March. She loves to be challenged. The "limitations" are really about management and distraction to avoid/ prevent unwanted behaviour without resorting to punishment or harsh discipline. Bullies and harsh discipline are a recipe for potential problems. The philosophy is that you want your dog's respect and to bond with each other with trust. Not to have our Bullies behave out of fear of reprisal. Bullies ARE smart. I am so very happy for you and Remi!!!! You will see results very quickly if you remain consistent and do a little a few times each day. Make it fun, keep your sessions short, don't get discouraged when things don't work right away and always end on a positive note with a desired behaviour and a reward. Keep us posted. This is going to be exciting!
    I love what you are doing with Miss T. Dublin is great and as we have had her since a puppy we have worked hard with her though nothing like you are doing. We realized how "good" she really is when we welcomed our rescue "Tio" into our house. Poor guy was never socialized properly or trained just terrible abuse but desipte that he is the most loving bullie you could ever want to meet. We have so much to do with him but my biggest fear is that we traumatize him with the wrong training. We are working slowly with him and patience is the strongest suit we have right now. He is just a little over two like Dublin and it is like night and day with where they are in their mental and emotional growth. What he lacks in social graces he makes up for in buckets with his loving personality..

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbiedog View Post
    I love what you are doing with Miss T. Dublin is great and as we have had her since a puppy we have worked hard with her though nothing like you are doing. We realized how "good" she really is when we welcomed our rescue "Tio" into our house. Poor guy was never socialized properly or trained just terrible abuse but desipte that he is the most loving bullie you could ever want to meet. We have so much to do with him but my biggest fear is that we traumatize him with the wrong training. We are working slowly with him and patience is the strongest suit we have right now. He is just a little over two like Dublin and it is like night and day with where they are in their mental and emotional growth. What he lacks in social graces he makes up for in buckets with his loving personality..
    The beauty of this type of training is our Bullies are never too old! But bless you from the deepest part of my heart for rescuing Tio and for your love and patience. Bullies do have such loving personalities. I am so happy for Tio that he found you. It breaks my heart to thing of the poor little guy being treated badly.
    There are tons of clicker training sites on the web and when I wasn't in a class learning our trainer suggested we look at some videos. We just take the info and modify it to suit what we think will be a good fit. Now I never use the clicker unless I want to train Miss T to do something new. She loves the challenge.

“Happiness is a warm puppy.”
    Charles M. Schulz

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

This is exciting!!! Don't spare us any details @ModerneFemme! I'm anxious to learn from your experiences!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads