Help Needed! Rough play: Puppy vs. Dog

Gertie

Jan 6, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie
How much do you allow puppies and dogs to play rough, if at all? I feel like I am constantly correcting my dog Gertrude, and I don't want to over-do it. However, their play devolves into rough biting and tussling very quickly and it is hard for me to tell if it is appropriate or not. If they were the same size I think it might be okay--but I am afraid someone is going to get hurt. At the same time, Gertrude and her new sister Delia whine incessantly when separated. At this point I have taken all the toys away- because the older dog was attempting to engage the puppy with them- but then getting mad when she bit at the toy (her hair was on end, ears back).

Any suggestions for helping me to strike harmony would be massively appreciated! Thanks!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
When they get loud or too rough I stop it immediately. If they keep it up then they get a time out.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
in most cases, ears back & tails down shows a relaxed non threatened state of mind ... I have 2 bulldogs and 1 Chocolate Lab and when the 3 play it can sound rough because the bulldogs make tons of noise but I watch to see signs of play turning to rough for example if either of my bulldogs perk their ears up and square their shoulders I know to stop things right then because it's gotten out of hand and at the same time as their ears perk the Lab will put her tail straight up in the air signaling she is tense ... watching and knowing your individual dogs signals can save you a lot of trouble because you will be prepared to intervene.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All good advice above. I also have 2, EB pups they are brother and sister , and are now 10 months old. They love to play and cuddle with each other, and most of the time they play okay, but sometimes it can get out of hand and they get a little rough. My female Blossom is a little more bully and dominate than her brother Bulldozer, he's much more laid back, and pretty much doesn't care what you do to him. Blossom will jump, on him, take all the toys, and bite his ears. They are not being aggressive with each other, just playing, and as long as they are not hurting each other, I will usually let them play. If I hear any aggression, like growling, snarling, or if they start biting hard causing yelps, then I will break them up, or shake a jar or can of pennies to divert their attention, this usually gets their attention and they will stop what they are doing. If this does not work and they continue to be too rough, then I will put them in the crate for a time out. Sometimes I give each one separate playtime for about 20 mins because Blossom doesn't always share or let Dozer have the toys, this allows him to have some alone time with the toys, and then I switch them and she gets some quiet time alone, I don't have to do this too often though. The only other thing you have to watch with them is that you don't let them play too rough for too long, as they can get over excited and this will cause them to pant too much. When I see that my two are getting over heated or panting from too much running around or horseplay, I will stop it and separate them.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
The dog magazine "The Bark" has some great articles on this topic. Here's one that helped me: http://www.thebark.com/content/your-dog’s-rough-play-appropriate

When Bo came a year after Bea, I was uneasy about their play style. I felt that Bo was too rough and I hated that I felt like I had to constantly intervene. Turns out, I didn't have to. LOL I was relieved!

Today, they are two and three (almost) respectively and I rarely get involved with their play activities. The noise level (because I am watching TV or something) is managed simply because I don't want that noisy play in the house. They are welcome to do that stuff when we are outside!

PippaBD

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa
Good to find this thread! I have been having the same questions with my girl and my parents' two dogs. Pippa is pretty fearless and does like to play rough. I do break up her play with one of the other dogs, as the other dog is very much NOT into rough play. But my parents' oldest (and largest) dog does play rough with Pippa, and my mom is always concerned she will hurt her. In reading that article, I do notice signs of play vs. aggression. Tails are always wagging, and the bigger dog does put her mouth on Pippa, but never bites down. Sometimes she just uses her mouth to kind of tap at Pippa. I do think when there is a pretty large size difference, you do need to monitor closely for accidental purposes. Will be much easier when Pippa gets just a little bigger.

OP
G

Gertie

Jan 6, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie
Thanks for all of your advice! The vet and her tech were over for a checkup yesterday and they too had good advice. They suggested to let them train one another- and as long as the dogs were respecting one another's cues to let them go. If one yelped, and the other backed away then all was well. But if they got too amped up to break it up. Her suggestion way to put them in a time out with a bone in the kennel.

I too feel like the size difference is nerve wracking. When I see the puppies legs in the big girls mouth...I feel like we are just a second away from a vet visit. I can't wait for her to grow a bit!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have to say when we got mugsy our pug I was terrified of the crazy playing between him and Cutty. Cutty looked like he would just break mugsy s little chicken leg right off. Just watch them closely and you will feel better about their playing as time goes on. You have gotten great advice above already as well. ;)

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I think the bully breeds just have a rougher style of play than most other breeds. It does get Tonka into trouble with some dogs who I think take it as aggression when I don't think he is being aggressive but then I guess I am not a dog! Lol. He has never had a problem with playing at daycare, though he did graduate to the "big dog" group rather early as the little dogs apparently were not fans of his rowdy and constant play style. They tell me his best friends are a Frenchie and a Mastiff lol. When he plays with my friends Olde and my sisters boxer though, everyone plays the same, and is happy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
suggested to let them train one another- and as long as the dogs were respecting one another's cues to let them go. If one yelped, and the other backed away then all was well. But if they got too amped up to break it up. Her suggestion way to put them in a time out with a bone in the kennel.

^^^ this is the best advice.... it is what we do with our bulldog and Frenchie. They Frenchie, Cheli weights in at 20lbs and Banks is 62 lbs... Cheli beats the crap out of Banks and she lets him know when he has gone too far and vise versa.... we rarely have to stop them, but the noise coming from their play is REALLY loud.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
The Wife: Stop them from 'fighting' he's only a puppy, and she is so much bigger
(I separate them by a few feet, and there goes the Puppy, in attack Gizmo's Flubbers mode)
Me: They are only playing ! and look Gizmo (2 year old at the time) is the one getting the short end of the stick
The Wife: noooo he is JUSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT a Puppy !

TRUST ME, atleast in my situation, he's the one who likes to play really rough, but I've only ever heard 1 YELP out of either of them. They make their own boundries -

Now I did see a blurb on Facebook about a SERIOUS fight broke out at a home, and they are doing a 'Chip-in' for the Medical Bills of the EB - I dont know all of the details (was it a new dog introduced ?, ages, etc etc etc) so it IS a valid concern.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.