What else can i do ???

crazy1469

Dec 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Hello everyone here i am again with another isue with my little bully.
she is now 18 weeks old, been checked by the vet and she's very healthy, has had all of her shot, but i can stop her from peeing in the house !!!!!
she is crate trainned, she will not pee in her crate. Ahe is in her crate from aprox 9 am to 3 pm and will not pee in the crate, when we are home she is always with us around the house, i take her out to pee and poo about every hour to hour and half, she goes outside and does her biz every time, i praze her and her her treats, but yet she will still pee in the house, ahe wont go to the door or anything like that letting us know she wants to go out, she will just squat and pee.....i bought her a little day bed for her to sleep in when ahe is out of her cage even on that she pee's....please help me, i dont know what else to do with her!!!!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Since you've ruled out any health reason for this. The only thing I can suggest is that you constantly watch her when she's out of the crate, so you can quickly scuttle her outside if she starts to squat when free. Be consistent and give it time.

I moved to the Training and Behavioral section so others who have more experience can respond.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Since you've ruled out any health reason for this. The only thing I can suggest is that you constantly watch her when she's out of the crate, so you can quickly scuttle her outside if she starts to squat when free. Be consistent and give it time.
Great advice! ! You need to be vigilant every minute she is out of her crate and look be looking for potty cues. Sniffing the floor - going in circles, getting very hyper, mouthing, etc. Sometimes if I had to do something and Miss Tallulah would be out of my sight I would put her in her crate with something to keep her occupied until I could put my full attention on her again. Then we would immediately go potty outside. Miss Tallulah didn't give me any real signal she had to potty until about 7 months old. I constantly watched for her cues. And honestly it was exhausting at first to be consistent and watch for her cues but eventually you will find a pattern emerges. Now my Tooleybear squawks like a wookie. So very cute. The other thing is you must get rid of the potty smells in the house 100%. Even if you think it is clean, use an enzyme cleaner specifically to eliminate the urine odour that dogs with their amazing sense of smell easily detect. Any smell and it will be a spot she thinks it will be ok to potty again. And maybe the little bed needs to be put away for a brief time ( and thoroughly cleaned ) to prevent her from developing a habit. Good luck! Even though right now it is so very frustrating and you think it will go on forever it does get better. :yes:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I would put her on a leash while she is in the house unrestrained. You are also then forced to see every action before she pees. She will be close enough to stop the action and you carry her out. It really does work. My sister is a dog trainer and it's one of the fastest ways to get them housebroken.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
You have very good advice up above. Emma was very tough at potty training. She had it down for the most part by 4/5 months but it was up until she was a 7 months that she'd still have a mishap, or two, and three..... It was usually because she'd get to playing so much and then it was too late. Buttercup will get it eventually. If you don't have a doggie door (we do) you need to be extra dilligent in picking up her smallest of smallest signals that she has to go.

Good luck and be easy on her, she'll get it. :)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola is almost 8 months and she has it down but if she goes to the door and I dont see her then she potties in the house. That means I take her out before I shower, before I leave the room for any reason I take her out. She doesn't hold it long so I think with age it will get better but it is a long road!

VictoriaS

Dec 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon
Being a new, first time bully mommy I too am feeling the potty training blues,:cry: with happiness however! Leon keeps his kennel "dry" from 11pm to 5am when I take him right outside and say, "go potty Leon, go potty". When he does I act like he won the lottery. Learning his behavior just before he goes has helped a great deal in heading him off at the pass. MY WONDERFUL FAMILY HOWEVER, isn't as in tune to him. Leon has been the hardest puppy I have ever potty trained. At first I thought he just doesn't get it. Then I realized he DOES get it because the only time he has accidents is when my husband is home with him or I'm not giving him the attention HE wants when he wants it. :2thumbs:

Leon is just about eleven weeks old and has an older sister, Khaleesi (rotty, shephard, lab) eleven months old. Yes our home is full of joy and any other crazy adjetive you can come up with.

Back to potty training: so what i'm hearing is we need to be consistant, patient, rewarding and plan old fashioned loving.
I've wanted a bully since I was seven years old and finally getting Leon, now that I'm 45 yrs old, he is EVERYTHING I imagined and THEN SOME.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Time and attention.

If your dog pees in the house...it's the humans fault.
AS you get better and recognizing the symptoms, you will KNOW when it is time!

Also, cleaning.

I use white vinegar/water (50-50) to get rid of the "special" smell that dogs look for.

I have 8 bullies in the house and cream carpet.....I have to be VERY vigilant!

Don't give up...
Good Day~

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Buttercup's human needs to manage a STRICT SCHEDULE for Buttercup. Yes, it's a pain. Yes, it takes some real effort and yes, it's inconvenient but it's the one, true, sure way.

PippaBD

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa
Honestly, the best thing you can do is watch her very closely. Our pups are very close in age and I have encountered this problem somewhat. When Pippa is out and about, I watch her for signs of having to potty. If I even think she may have to potty, out she goes. You just have to constantly reinforce that potty is only outside. Eventually she will get it. One other thing I have done is to remove some temptations if she pees in a specific place or on something. Pippa liked to pee and poop under the bed. (And you can imagine how much I enjoyed that, as it was always in the middle underneath our king bed!) So now it is blocked off until she either gets too big to get under there (its pretty low) or she is fully house-trained.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber was the same way until she was about 7-8 months. She was tough, she couldn't have a bed because she would get on it and pee on it so we took it from her. What helped was consistency, patience and time. We took her out on the hour when we were at home and praised her when she made it outside. We didn't allow her anywhere there was carpet because I think she would feel the difference of the tile and carpet and think it was the same as outside. Even in our bed we had to watc her like a hawk to make sure she was sitting instead of squatting and then all of a sudden one day she was fully potty trained. Almost like a light switch. Good luck, it will happen.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online