Help Needed! Potty Training Help!

kimted1011

Jan 8, 2013
Ridgewood, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Bouncer
We are having some potty training issues with Bouncer :*(

We only let him have access to (2) rooms the kitchen and our living room (mind you we have been staying in there with him 24-7..lol)

We have to house train him, because he can not go outside until his next set of shots which is 02/11/13 (& it can not come soon enough..lol)
Bouncer does not seem to want to use the wee-wee pads. When we first brought him home about 3 weeks ago, he would go on the pads and have an occasional accident. But now he doesn't seem to want to use them at all!

We have tried the nature's miracle spray to help him, and even bought that special wee-wee pad holder, so he knew just to go in that spot, and it still doesn't work!

We would greatly appreciate any tips you may have!! Thanks!!:D

seernod

Jan 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry and Frenchie named Willow
If your yard is fenced why can he go out.I let our puppy out in our backyard all the time and he has only had his first set of shots. As long as your out with him cant see no harm

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I don't see why you can't take your pup out. We don't have a fenced in yard, and even before we had all his shots, we took him out on the leash.

You have to watch them like a hawk, know the signs, and develop a schedule. We also recommend the bell method, which has worked wonders.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree with seernod. I started house training the first day home with Ace by taking him outside about every two hours. Especially critical times are after eating, playing, or long nabs. Especially first thing in the morning after being all night in crate.

Last edited:

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I agree with taking him outside if at all possible. It is too confusing in the house. Miss Tallulah loves to pee and poop all down the perimeter of the yard. Not in one spot but always by the bushes and trees. So generally getting a pup to pick one spot in the house is problematic. The reason for keeping you Bully away from areas where other dogs who might not have their shots is that there can be contagions in their poop and even possibly the pee. But if you keep your Bully away from where other dogs go, like parks and common walking areas in the neighbourhood , and if you have a yard there should be no concern. Actually one vet said depending on the neighbourhood you live in, generally most people have vaccinated their dogs and there is not a great concern of catching anything serious if you just stay within a short distance if you live in an apartment or condominium without your own private yard. The advice about timing to go out as well as after certain predictable activities like eating playing and sleeping is exactly right. I think Miss Tallulah only pooped in the house twice when we started potty training and it was totally my fault for not reading the cues and keeping her in the house a little longer than I should have. Good luck with training. It will all be in the past before you know it.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ok let me continue I was interrupted, while at the computer my wife said "I think Ace needs to go outside" He had already gone outside after his evening meal and pooped but we took him out again later and he was playing and rambunctious so when he came back in she thought he may need to go again. So for the first two or three days after having him home I would take him out every two hours and at the critical times I mentioned before, and then gradually at night at our bed time with Ace in his crate I would increase the time before getting him up and letting him out. Now, and he has only been home with us a few weeks, I take him out right before bed time and crate time to let him pee and poop if need be. And now he will spend the entire night in crate without a mistake and I take him out first thing when I get up. I get up early anyway 5:00 am. He then pees and sometimes poops but usually just pees. Then I feed him his breakfast and after about 10 to 20 minutes back outside and he usually poops. He has already learned to go to the sliding door to be let out. But there are still the occassional mistakes in the house. When after eating, playing or napping they get up and later start circling with their nose to the floor take them out they need to poop. Use the same door to take them out each time and they will learn to go to that door when they need to go out and do their business. Course some of the time they sit there because they just want you to let them outdoors for some fresh air and to play

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
In some situations for various reasons a dog needs to be trained to go on pads in the home. But I don't recommend it if there is the option of training them outside from the get go. If your intention is to eventually have them do their business outside then why not begin their training that way. Again some situations don't allow for that. But we tried pad training with our maltese and it was a hit or miss situation and sometime he would just tare the pads apart. The maltese was our first inside dog so it was a learning curve. All my previous dogs lived outside so there was no issue with this. We eventually went to only outside business with the maltese and its been that way since and so I started Ace out from the get go to condition him that outside was the place to do his business

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I don't see why you can't take your pup out. We don't have a fenced in yard, and even before we had all his shots, we took him out on the leash.

You have to watch them like a hawk, know the signs, and develop a schedule. We also recommend the bell method, which has worked wonders.

How is the bell method working for you guys? I would like to do the same.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
How is the bell method working for you guys? I would like to do the same.

On day we woke up and we were like wow, Remi is potty trained! Then of course [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] warned me there would still be accidents (and there was!!!) but now those don't even happen anymore.

The only thing you have to prepare yourself for is your dog is totallllly going to ring that bell even if he doesn't have to go. Sometimes he is just bored. But if you make him ring the bell every time you go outside, and give him a treat, your pooch will totally get the hang of it.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Didn't Remi have a mishap the very next day too? [MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION]

Wilson was great, and the same with Emma. Both would at first sit at the door to go out and Wilson scratches gently.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Great advice! Your pup will do just fine outside in the confines of your yard. Using pee pads will only complicate the process and lengthen it! I have aa 12 week old pup who has not had his complete series of shots, but we took him outside from day one. Any accidents he has had in the house are MY fault- I got distracted and missed cues, like tonight! We always use the front door for potty, and the back sliders we use when he goes out to play. Well he got up tonight and stood by the sliders! We thought it was so cute that he thought it was play time! NOPE! He peed right there! I guess we learned that it is HIS decision which door he uses for potty!! His last potty run of the night is 8-8:30 and then he is done for the night. He is crated until 6-6:30 am. He has never peed or pooped in his crate and was sleeping thrunthe night by 9 weeks. That is just him. All pups are different. Although he goes that long at night, he still pees every hour during the day! Go figure!! Hang in there and be consistent and establish a routine! You will see success!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi. The first part of my post is to tell you not to use the training pads. I also bought them when I brought my two puppies home. I didn't want to take them out because they hadn't had all their vaccinations , I live on a trail with a river behind my house, so I have a lot of wildlife, deers, skunks, possomms , rabbits, squirrels, and especially raccoons, all of which carry diseases and viruses, and leptovirus especially the raccoons. I talked to my vet and she said although you do have to be careful, as long as you take them out only for their duties, and then back inside, and then wipe their paws with a baby wipe to remove any potential virus , it was okay , also once they have their second shots, they can be around other dogs, as long as you know the dog and owner, and know that they are up to date on vaccinations, so I started to socialize them with a few dogs in my neighbourhood. I found they didn't want to use the puppy pads, just wanted to eat them and rip them up, and the vet said it would confuse them because they would get used to peeing on the pads in the house, and when it was time to go outside, they would want to continue peeing inside, and get confused, and then you would have to start all over with the training again. It's better to just take them outside from the beginning , and just for the duties, and then wipe down the paws when they come back in.

The second part of my post is to tell you about my post on the Puppy Club group forum. I posted about puppy training and how I trained my two by using a schedule. It really works, and I trained both my puppies in 5 months. Look under the Puppy Club and read my post its under my site name Vikinggirl. I hope this helps you.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Didn't Remi have a mishap the very next day too? @ModernFemme

Wilson was great, and the same with Emma. Both would at first sit at the door to go out and Wilson scratches gently.

Yes. And the day after that... twice! It only occurred to me just now that Remi hasn't had an accident in like a whole month.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I'm going to call that a "cowinkidink" :tease:

Shut your mouth Jeannie!! Hahahaha. Actually there was an incident a while ago... My cat bubs (not his real name but somehow what we ended up calling him) started sleeping inside Remi's crate, on top of our makeshift divider. We didn't see him there one night when we put Remi in for the night..... To make a long story short, a fight ensued and when I opened the crate to get the cat out of there, remi immediately got on top of the divider and peed all over it, probably marking his territory. Auuuuugh.

Bubs is kind of a jerk tho, to be fair. He claims everything. I don't blame Remi for flipping his ****, or in this case, pee!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online