General Question Potty Training

Higgins

Dec 21, 2012
Denver, CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
So my little guy has some very interesting potty habits. He loves to be in his crate but also will pee in there without hesitation and sleep in it. He wont go :poo: in the house. But he will pee on his blankets that he likes to sleep on. He goes potty every time I tell him to which is good he will also go to the door and let me know when he has to go sometimes. Also if I leave the living room for more then 10 to 15 minutes he will go pee and i swear its to punish me for leaving him alone lol.

736139_10151362437626418_963558992_o.jpg

phisherman

Jan 27, 2011
Kentucky
Bulldog(s) Names
Chloe & Annie
Well from my experiences it takes time to truly potty train any dog. The most important thing is to be consistent. After that it will work out as he grows up. One thing that you need to realize is that any dog at any age will potty when needed if they don't get the chance to go out often enough. What do you do when you come back in the living room after he pees? If you don't catch him in the act, then you should make no mention of it, just clean it and go on. If you catch him in the act then pick him up and go straight outside. One of my bullies would sometimes pee in her crate, but as she got older that kind of just stopped. Hope this helps.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
So my little guy has some very interesting potty habits. He loves to be in his crate but also will pee in there without hesitation and sleep in it. He wont go :poo: in the house. But he will pee on his blankets that he likes to sleep on. He goes potty every time I tell him to which is good he will also go to the door and let me know when he has to go sometimes. Also if I leave the living room for more then 10 to 15 minutes he will go pee and i swear its to punish me for leaving him alone lol.

Hahahaha. You are giving Dozer more credit than he deserves. Dogs operate on instinct -- not emotions or intellect. It's fun to think about though.

I'd suggest taking the blankets out of the crate and staying with your potty schedule as it is. He'll break the habit of peeing on his blankets if there aren't any to pee on. I know. You're feeling sorry for him having no blankies, right? Ya gotta get past that. LOL Eventually, you can try a blanket again. Be sure to wash that crate up reaaaaaaaaallllll goooood to get that special scent out of there.

He's adorable. Whatta face!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hahahaha. You are giving Dozer more credit than he deserves. Dogs operate on instinct -- not emotions or intellect. It's fun to think about though.

I'd suggest taking the blankets out of the crate and staying with your potty schedule as it is. He'll break the habit of peeing on his blankets if there aren't any to pee on. I know. You're feeling sorry for him having no blankies, right? Ya gotta get past that. LOL Eventually, you can try a blanket again. Be sure to wash that crate up reaaaaaaaaallllll goooood to get that special scent out of there.

He's adorable. Whatta face!

Agreed! He really isn't housebroken. I would also add putting him on a lead in the house attached to you on the other end! You will be amazed at the signals you are missing. I know it seems like a pain in the a--! But it won't take long and you don't want a long term habit!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I know many who can't have blankets in crates because of this. Might wanna remove them for a while and maybe it will help?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know many who can't have blankets in crates because of this. Might wanna remove them for a while and maybe it will help?

^^^ yep -- tray only in crate until they are fully trained. They will go on the blanket and then push it aside

OP
Higgins

Higgins

Dec 21, 2012
Denver, CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
So took the blanket out and he barked all night lol. But he didnt go potty in his house so I guess thats the trade off for now

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So took the blanket out and he barked all night lol. But he didnt go potty in his house so I guess thats the trade off for now

do not give in.... they learn really fast what they can do to get what they want

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
We are having a similar problem with our 3 month old Nate. He poops outside, but will pee and continue to lay in it. What is that!!! Nate will do well all day but when he lays down to sleep he will pee in his sleep. He also tends to do a little dribbling. I took him to the vet and there was not UTI. He is slowly getting better, however continues to pee when he sleeps. Thinking we may need to remove the bedding from the crate, which is the appropriate size not too big.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola potties on my floor sometimes to but its always my fault because I will be in the other room and not notice that she went to the door thats why we hung up the bells on the door knob again! I would say take the bedding out also Miss Lola will pee on a blanket that is on the couch so I wouldn't let him sleep on anything soft for a while no matter where he is.

OP
Higgins

Higgins

Dec 21, 2012
Denver, CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Ok so took the bedding out for a few weeks he was angry and barked for a few nights but got over it. So yesterday I put a blanket on the floor like 5 minutes after I took him outside to go potty and he walks right on the blanket pees on it and then fell asleep right on top of it like it was no big deal lol. I swear I dont get this dog lol

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ok so took the bedding out for a few weeks he was angry and barked for a few nights but got over it. So yesterday I put a blanket on the floor like 5 minutes after I took him outside to go potty and he walks right on the blanket pees on it and then fell asleep right on top of it like it was no big deal lol. I swear I dont get this dog lol

Well..you might not get him..but sounds like he gets no bunky!! :laugh:

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.