What to do

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Try bullysticks (I got some from organicbullies.com and was very satisfied). They've been a godsend with Elly's teething.

:eek: No Bullysticks! They are not safe for Bulldogs. They often cause choking and besides..why do you want your sweet bully chewing on Bull Penis?? Seriously..they are a big no no!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
:eek: No Bullysticks! They are not safe for Bulldogs. They often cause choking and besides..why do you want your sweet bully chewing on Bull Penis?? Seriously..they are a big no no!

I'm against bullysticks also. Stupid pet store had them at puppy level and Vegas grabbed it and ate it so fast he choked on it. Not only are they expensive..but I'd rather he gnaw on an elk antler instead of a bull's penis.

Another way to divert the attention of a biting puppy is with a can of coins. Shake it and it will startle the puppy. Make sure to deliver a stern "no!". If you don't have a can and coins, pot lids will work also.

I have a 3 and 1/2 year old bulldog who is so hyper it drives me nuts. I'm still waiting for the couch potato stage.

OP
Bustersmommy6941

Bustersmommy6941

Jan 4, 2013
Riverside California
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Once again Ty for all of the advice, it is wonderful to have so many people help, I do have to say I think I will stay away from the bull penis lol or should I say Buster lol. Thank you again for all the help

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')

Can you provide me with some sources indicating that they aren't safe? I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm just trying to be better informed. As I mentioned above, I did a lot of research (I'm a bit OCD lol) and everything I read indicated they are fine to give to dogs.

And seeing that Elly is fed a raw diet, I have little issue with giving her bull penis to chew on. :D

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Can you provide me with some sources indicating that they aren't safe? I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm just trying to be better informed. As I mentioned above, I did a lot of research (I'm a bit OCD lol) and everything I read indicated they are fine to give to dogs.

And seeing that Elly is fed a raw diet, I have little issue with giving her bull penis to chew on. :D

We actually have a member who very recently had her Bully choke on a Bully Stick. Of course you can choose anything you like..but there is quite a lot of info saying no to Rawhide and Bully Sticks for Bulldogs..including my vet. I will try to find her thread..it was frightening actually. There are some much..much more experienced Bully people here than me..not one of them thinks they are ok

Here is her thread..
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21448

Last edited:

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
We actually have a member who very recently had her Bully choke on a Bully Stick. Of course you can choose anything you like..but there is quite a lot of info saying no to Rawhide and Bully Sticks for Bulldogs..including my vet. I will try to find her thread..it was frightening actually. There are some much..much more experienced Bully people here than me..not one of them thinks they are ok

Here is her thread..
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21448

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll take a further look into bullysticks and reassess my decision to give them to Elly. :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Try bullysticks (I got some from organicbullies.com and was very satisfied). They've been a godsend with Elly's teething.

Bullysticks are great (if you don't think about what they're made of LOL) but must be given WHILE SUPERVISED. This is for many reasons. Among them; choking hazard, ingesting large chunks which cause a blockage and possible surgery to remove.

[MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] is spot on. The pup has been on the planet a few weeks. He's looking to you for leadership and guidance. He wants to be a good pack member but he needs a solid, calm assertive pack LEADER to be that submissive, compliant, happy and healthy dog.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie is 9 months old and she's still nuts! She has so much energy, but when she crashes, she crashes hard and good. In fact, she's been beating me with her giraffe and shark for the past 3 hours and now she's sleeping good.

Just be consistent and make sure you try to keep your emotions in check. I know Aubie could tell when I was mad and she would feed off of that energy, making her not listen one bit. Nothing worked to keep her from biting it seemed. If she got too out of control, we would put her on her side and make her stay until she calmed down. That is the only thing that would work at times, but she also learned who was boss then too. She grew out of it in time, and I believe once we figured out that worked, it didn't take long for her to learn her boundaries and behave. Also, start teaching him commands. Teach him sit and stay, then make him sit and stay until you give the command for him to eat at meal times. Teach him tricks and make him do them for toys when you are playing with him. Teaching tricks will direct his energy into something positive instead of biting and being nuts.

Now Aubie's 9 months old and a great girl! She knows her commands, she listens well, and she doesn't bite. We even taught her "gentle" when taking treats. Now when I play with her, if she's playing with my hands, I can tell her gentle and she just sucks and gums me. She even knows without telling most of the time.... we can play with a toy and she can be chomping hard on it, but if she accidentally feels my hand, she will be gentle. There is a light at the end of the tunnel! You just have to be consistent (even when they are older an trained), keep your energy positive, and reward good behavior. You'll get there!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online