What to do

Bustersmommy6941

Jan 4, 2013
Riverside California
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
I hope I'm not posting in the wrong spot, I'm new. I have a 4 month old Buster and I have looked up so much info on bulldogs and bought books so I joined this site because who would know better then people who have and love bulldogs so I hope someone can help.

1. Why does Buster want to eat everything in site and what are the best toys for bulldogs.
2. How do I get him to stop biting the kids and I he does not do it to hurt he just wants to play but his teeth hurt.
3. Am I the only one who has a dog that is my hyper then my 4 year old lol?
Any help would be great, thank you

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Welcome. quick answers:
1 buster eats everything because he's a bulldog. Try nylabones and kong toys. bullys often eat stuffies.
2 buster is teething so he will bite. Tell him NO and give him something appropriate to chew on. He'll outgrow it in a couple of months
3 no, you are not the only one. It's pretty common. He'll slow down a bit between 2 and 3 years old. they lie when they tell you about bulldogs being couch potatoes. Many are not

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
1) he's a puppy
2) he's a puppy
3) he's a puppy

:) no I won't leave ya hanging

1) he may outgrow that but he may not, are we talking non edible objects or acting like he is always starving?? Porky still acts like she is starving but n she may be now she's on a diet bcuz she got fat lol but I've read a ton about bullies eating things they shouldn't but I've never dealt with that!!!!!! Toys lmao I think we r all still trying to figure that out but I've heard nylabone is good as well as kong I like the rubber chickens from Walmart lol!!!!

2) he views u all as his litter mate now :( so he's going to always want to play n their play unfortunately is biting!!!! First try to teach him the "leave it" command when he bites a stern "leave it" n then remove urself from the area he will eventually learn "ugh when I bite they stop playing :(" n always divert the biting to a toy n when he plays with the toy praise him :)!!!! I've also heard coins in a jar to be shaken when he bites may work the noise can scare him n divert attention!!!!

3) yes welcome to puppyhood lol when my girl was a baby her schedule was 5 am eat breakfast 5:01-6:30 am beat up mommy 6:30-10 crash hard n snore loud 10-12 beat up mommy 12 eat lunch 12:01-1:30 beat up mommy 1:30-3:30 nap n snore 3:30-5 beat up mommy lol it's like she neverrrrr stopped!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Try bullysticks (I got some from organicbullies.com and was very satisfied). They've been a godsend with Elly's teething.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
best recommendation I can give is training ... set very clear Rules, Boundaries and Limitations and always always always be Consistent!! like a child, Buster is dependent on you to teach him how to be a good family member and he needs you to be consistent so he can learn right from wrong. giving him clear rules, boundaries and limitations and being firm with them set him up for success!!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My Lola is so hyper she acts like a skin child with ADD/ADHD and is desperate need of ritalin! She does not nap much at all its not a shock when she goes all day without a nap so yes they were lying with they said bulldogs are lazy! Lola is 7 month old and still tries to bite, not as bad as when she was young though. It will get better with time! And we need to see more pics!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Try bullysticks (I got some from organicbullies.com and was very satisfied). They've been a godsend with Elly's teething.

please be very careful with bully sticks ... such a choking hazard!!!

OP
Bustersmommy6941

Bustersmommy6941

Jan 4, 2013
Riverside California
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
You guys are wonderful Ty so much for all the advice. I will post more pics this weekend since he has gotten bigger. Yeah I did a lot of reading and really thought Buster had ADHD or something because he has sooooo much energy but I love him with all my heart.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie

I hate to break it to you but Bully sticks and rawhide can be very dangerous for bulldogs. They swell up when wet and can choke them to death because bully airways are narrower than may dogs.

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
I have the same problem..for now I crate Lucy when she gets crazy and nippy with my toddler, or correct her with a tug on her neck roll and a firm no, i usually have to do this about 5 times before she listens,,and as for chewing I am also in the same boat..hard bones like nylabones and kongs are working for me..also hard stuffed toys not flimsy ones....good luck!!! hope this stage ends soon:bitching:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
There is no such thing as posting in a "wrong" spot here. But we mods/admins do move things around a bit just to keep things tidy. So I'm moving the post to Behavioral and Training because all the questions and answers can be used by the next new parents who are trying to find answers to them too.

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Yes. Rawhide, whether whole or chopped up is bad for bulldogs. We used to give the chopped ones to Winston when he was smaller, and it didn't take us long to figure out that those were the reason he was vomiting frequently. The rawhide gets into his belly, and swells up, and forces itself back out. Not pleasant for my puppy and not pleasant to step in unawares, either.

Another thing about biting- Your puppy is considering you and your kids as her littermates, and wants to play. If she were playing with other little puppies, she'd realize that hard biting causes pain! The puppies teach each other the limits of how hard to play. This is what you and your kids need to do. Training is very effective. When she is doing something that is causing you pain, you need to make her aware that it is not acceptable. Myself, I would push the inside of Winston's cheek/jowl into his mouth so that he would be biting himself instead of me. Needless to say, he didn't like it much. He learned quickly that biting was ouchie, and after asking my husband, we feel it was effective because neither of us remember a Shark stage with our puppy.

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
I've done my research on bullysticks, and I feel that they are safe to feed. Unlike rawhide, they are digestible. They are really no more of a choking hazard than any other chew treat. Hell, even kibble can be considered a "choking hazard." Like anything, though, I keep my eye on her when she chews them.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.