Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What to do

There is no such thing as posting in a "wrong" spot here. But we mods/admins do move things around a bit just to keep things tidy. So I'm moving the post to Behavioral and Training because all the questions and answers can be used by the next new parents who are trying to find answers to them too.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Tracy Edwards Thompson
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

Yes. Rawhide, whether whole or chopped up is bad for bulldogs. We used to give the chopped ones to Winston when he was smaller, and it didn't take us long to figure out that those were the reason he was vomiting frequently. The rawhide gets into his belly, and swells up, and forces itself back out. Not pleasant for my puppy and not pleasant to step in unawares, either.

Another thing about biting- Your puppy is considering you and your kids as her littermates, and wants to play. If she were playing with other little puppies, she'd realize that hard biting causes pain! The puppies teach each other the limits of how hard to play. This is what you and your kids need to do. Training is very effective. When she is doing something that is causing you pain, you need to make her aware that it is not acceptable. Myself, I would push the inside of Winston's cheek/jowl into his mouth so that he would be biting himself instead of me. Needless to say, he didn't like it much. He learned quickly that biting was ouchie, and after asking my husband, we feel it was effective because neither of us remember a Shark stage with our puppy.

Proud Mother of Winston Biscuit since October 30, 2010.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor ('Elly')
    Likes (Received)

I've done my research on bullysticks, and I feel that they are safe to feed. Unlike rawhide, they are digestible. They are really no more of a choking hazard than any other chew treat. Hell, even kibble can be considered a "choking hazard." Like anything, though, I keep my eye on her when she chews them.
    Last edited by ame16; 01-05-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ame16 View Post
    Try bullysticks (I got some from organicbullies.com and was very satisfied). They've been a godsend with Elly's teething.

No Bullysticks! They are not safe for Bulldogs. They often cause choking and besides..why do you want your sweet bully chewing on Bull Penis?? Seriously..they are a big no no!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    No Bullysticks! They are not safe for Bulldogs. They often cause choking and besides..why do you want your sweet bully chewing on Bull Penis?? Seriously..they are a big no no!
    I'm against bullysticks also. Stupid pet store had them at puppy level and Vegas grabbed it and ate it so fast he choked on it. Not only are they expensive..but I'd rather he gnaw on an elk antler instead of a bull's penis.

Another way to divert the attention of a biting puppy is with a can of coins. Shake it and it will startle the puppy. Make sure to deliver a stern "no!". If you don't have a can and coins, pot lids will work also.

I have a 3 and 1/2 year old bulldog who is so hyper it drives me nuts. I'm still waiting for the couch potato stage.

Pooper scooper Bustersmommy6941's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christina
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster
    Likes (Received)

Once again Ty for all of the advice, it is wonderful to have so many people help, I do have to say I think I will stay away from the bull penis lol or should I say Buster lol. Thank you again for all the help
    Busters mommy

Real Name
    Anthony
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor ('Elly')
    Likes (Received)

Can you provide me with some sources indicating that they aren't safe? I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm just trying to be better informed. As I mentioned above, I did a lot of research (I'm a bit OCD lol) and everything I read indicated they are fine to give to dogs.

And seeing that Elly is fed a raw diet, I have little issue with giving her bull penis to chew on.
    Last edited by ame16; 01-05-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Can you provide me with some sources indicating that they aren't safe? I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm just trying to be better informed. As I mentioned above, I did a lot of research (I'm a bit OCD lol) and everything I read indicated they are fine to give to dogs.

And seeing that Elly is fed a raw diet, I have little issue with giving her bull penis to chew on.

We actually have a member who very recently had her Bully choke on a Bully Stick. Of course you can choose anything you like..but there is quite a lot of info saying no to Rawhide and Bully Sticks for Bulldogs..including my vet. I will try to find her thread..it was frightening actually. There are some much..much more experienced Bully people here than me..not one of them thinks they are ok

Here is her thread..
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...ad.php?t=21448
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 01-05-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor ('Elly')
    Likes (Received)

We actually have a member who very recently had her Bully choke on a Bully Stick. Of course you can choose anything you like..but there is quite a lot of info saying no to Rawhide and Bully Sticks for Bulldogs..including my vet. I will try to find her thread..it was frightening actually. There are some much..much more experienced Bully people here than me..not one of them thinks they are ok

Here is her thread..
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...ad.php?t=21448
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll take a further look into bullysticks and reassess my decision to give them to Elly.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll take a further look into bullysticks and reassess my decision to give them to Elly.

Never a problem..it's all about our Bully's!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Try bullysticks (I got some from organicbullies.com and was very satisfied). They've been a godsend with Elly's teething.
    Bullysticks are great (if you don't think about what they're made of LOL) but must be given WHILE SUPERVISED. This is for many reasons. Among them; choking hazard, ingesting large chunks which cause a blockage and possible surgery to remove.

@bulldogs4me is spot on. The pup has been on the planet a few weeks. He's looking to you for leadership and guidance. He wants to be a good pack member but he needs a solid, calm assertive pack LEADER to be that submissive, compliant, happy and healthy dog.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Krista
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug
    Likes (Received)

Aubie is 9 months old and she's still nuts! She has so much energy, but when she crashes, she crashes hard and good. In fact, she's been beating me with her giraffe and shark for the past 3 hours and now she's sleeping good.

Just be consistent and make sure you try to keep your emotions in check. I know Aubie could tell when I was mad and she would feed off of that energy, making her not listen one bit. Nothing worked to keep her from biting it seemed. If she got too out of control, we would put her on her side and make her stay until she calmed down. That is the only thing that would work at times, but she also learned who was boss then too. She grew out of it in time, and I believe once we figured out that worked, it didn't take long for her to learn her boundaries and behave. Also, start teaching him commands. Teach him sit and stay, then make him sit and stay until you give the command for him to eat at meal times. Teach him tricks and make him do them for toys when you are playing with him. Teaching tricks will direct his energy into something positive instead of biting and being nuts.

Now Aubie's 9 months old and a great girl! She knows her commands, she listens well, and she doesn't bite. We even taught her "gentle" when taking treats. Now when I play with her, if she's playing with my hands, I can tell her gentle and she just sucks and gums me. She even knows without telling most of the time.... we can play with a toy and she can be chomping hard on it, but if she accidentally feels my hand, she will be gentle. There is a light at the end of the tunnel! You just have to be consistent (even when they are older an trained), keep your energy positive, and reward good behavior. You'll get there!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads