Help Needed! Jumping up to the cupboard and on kitchen table help + feeding recommendation

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Hi Everyone,

I have a little issue with Kain that I'm working on but he is testing our patience and we feel his stubbornness wins some days which is frustrating...

Our Issue is after supper we clear the table and make sure the counters are cleared off etc but if we don't get it wiped down immediatly etc Kain starts to check both the cupboards and table for crumbs and droppings. He has NEVER had even one smakral of human food like this so I think he is just overly curious but if he gets a successful lick he obviously has found it to be worth his while.

My comment on a thread to us would naturally be to remain consistent, correct as soon as it happens, show boundaries while you are cooking etc and take control of the situation. I do put him in his kennel while we eat and of course have no issues with that at all, it's when we open the door after we are done and he makes his rounds that he tests us.

I know we have gotten lack luster on our efforts as I mentioned its' like he won to some degree so other than raising our game, correcting, and staying consistent is there anything else we should be doing?

I always thought we were buying a sleeping breed and this little guy (just over a year now) has a energy level of a regular breed lol.

It's cold out so our exercise with him has also suffered, he hates going outside for a walk but when we do it sure helps him tone down so I think that is also part of the solution to the cupboard / table issues. Although it's easier said then done I think a good hard walk BEFORE supper to work for his food would have him eat and then go rest instead of scammer the house for crumbs.

Lastly, with Kain now a little over 1 year old (we feed him FROMM since he was 4 months old). We still feed him 1 cup (3 times) daily. I've read in other threads that twice a day is the recommended, is there a reason for this? Better for there system and digestion? I'm thinking we will start 1 1/2 cups twice a day but wanted to get a good understanding of why this is recommended? poor guy won't know what to do without his noon lunch lol.

Thanks Everyone, Looking forward to your replies.

Shoot, I had to type this all twice and I didn't realize this fourm section had a PREFIX you had to pick, that would explain why I lost my last post... Doh!

[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Kain will mellow out, maybe in another year or so. :whistle: I always give a quick NO and push down when they try to stand up at the table. I don't like that either, on the other hand, my husband needs training too. :*( he thinks it's cute when Dolly or Peggy pokes their head under his arm while we are at the table. As far as feeding schedule it's a personal thing whether or not you are at home to feed. My guys and girls only eat once a day. I would love to feed them twice a day, but I work away from home, so I make it real nice for them by mixing my home made beef n vegetable mix with the kibble.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is still full of pup and will calm down a bit after around 3 or 4. Usually we go to two feedings a day when they are around 6 0 7 months of age as they don't need that much food as they get older. Once he gets around 2 you may have to cut back a little so he will not fat. But that depends on his activity level. Some will not need to cut back on their food until they are older than that. Just play it by ear. As far as him testing you, this will go one for awhile, until he gets older.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All good advice above, the only other thing I could add or suggest, is that you put up a baby gate and keep him out of the kitchen area when you are eating, and until your finished cleaning up after meals.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you already know your answer.... work for the meal. We are having the 'testing' issue with Banks since moving in the new house. we can't take her for walks due to all the construction going on and where there isn't construction it is mud. So, we are struggling her he being even more of a beeeotch

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Yes, there's a reason for the 1-2x a day versus 3x a day feeding. The dog's digestive system is designed for feast/famine predatorial eating style as opposed to the human's hunter/gatherer eating style. So, they do better with a longer space between meals to allow their digestive system to process food more efficiently. Their stomachs are smaller when they're puppies, so they would eat more often as puppies and taper off when they get bigger.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] - you know, that "seeking" behavior is probably an outlet for him to challenge his mind. The reward is a lick of this or that -- not a whole lotta pay off really - so I have to think maybe he's doing this as a way of entertaining himself? Kain is a bright (as proven by your videos and tricks you've taught him) and energetic pup! He's a guy who could probably use more stimulation? Feeding that busy mind 3X a day and not having an outlet for the resulting energy probably doesn't help much. LOL

Bea isn't a fan of "the walk" either. But she goes because I make her. Kicking pine cones (she chases them), blowing bubbles (she chases them) and "finding sticks" (it's a game we play then she gets to chew it up) makes walks more fun for her. Bo likes to catch pine cones in his mouth and RUN AROUND PEEING ON STUFF (which he's not allowed to do much of since I think it's a territorial boy behavior I'd rather squelch) so keeping his little brain busy helps. He likes toys now -- like the Kong Wobbler -- that force problem solving. Putting a cookie inside a cardboard box and watching them tear down the box to get at it is another game they like. It rains a lot here so I gotta get creative -- if I don't want to get wet! I'm a bird watcher so clomping around in the woods with no destination and a pair of binoculars works great for Bea --- but Bo gets frustrated. He's not about the journey; he's Mr. Destination. Frustrating for us both.

I've seen Cesar talk about seeing dogs in "working mode" a gazillion times and I've often wished that for my boy, Bo. (Bea is EXTREMELY low energy so she doesn't care so much). The other day, I took the crispy Xmas tree to the recycling bin in my yellow garden wagon. I put the leash in my hand and held onto the handle so Bo and I were both pulling it up the hill. He doesn't have a harness and he's actually scared of the wagon anyway but I persevered -- and so did he. I disagreed with his fearful behavior and persisted. Toward the end of the walk, I really did see a dog in "working mode". It was so exciting!! I plan on doing more stuff with the wagon. Today we're going to walk up our recycling in the dang thing. He spent energy he didn't otherwise spend -- mental and physical. His head was down and he was pulling that wagon!

I've discovered that I must fulfill my dogs each in their own way. This isn't convenient at all, of course, but it's really my reality. They'll both be much better dogs for it in the end. And so, that's my new year's resolution for 2013.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Bo pulls a wagon 1.13.12.jpg

Yesterday, Bo "pulled" two trips of recycling to the big dewie dumpsters. You can see he's a bit apprehensive about being left "alone" with the wagon. Right now, the goal is to get him used to the sound of it behind him. It's a small grade uphill to the recycling area so he gets plenty of opportunity to feel what it's like to really pull the weight of it and I see glimpses of "working dog"; ears back, head low. He seems to enjoy it once he relaxes and just "works". Since I am helping him pull, the work here is really in his mind and, in all likelihood, far more exhausting for him than physical work - which I love for him to experience.

One day, I hope to have Bo pulling Bea around. We're a long way off on that.

I will continue to ask him to drag stuff up there, as he continues to get less fearful of the wagon. Next step, I think, will be to fashion a real harness and letting him pull the full weight of the wagon. I think that will take his mind off the fact that he's "being chased by a yellow wagon". LOL I'm sure that's how he sees sometimes at this point. :D

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
View attachment 34937

Yesterday, Bo "pulled" two trips of recycling to the big dewie dumpsters. You can see he's a bit apprehensive about being left "alone" with the wagon. Right now, the goal is to get him used to the sound of it behind him. It's a small grade uphill to the recycling area so he gets plenty of opportunity to feel what it's like to really pull the weight of it and I see glimpses of "working dog"; ears back, head low. He seems to enjoy it once he relaxes and just "works". Since I am helping him pull, the work here is really in his mind and, in all likelihood, far more exhausting for him than physical work - which I love for him to experience.

One day, I hope to have Bo pulling Bea around. We're a long way off on that.

I will continue to ask him to drag stuff up there, as he continues to get less fearful of the wagon. Next step, I think, will be to fashion a real harness and letting him pull the full weight of the wagon. I think that will take his mind off the fact that he's "being chased by a yellow wagon". LOL I'm sure that's how he sees sometimes at this point. :D

You can buy pulling harnesses for dogs. I know a lot of folks with other bully breeds that do competitive weight pulling. There's no reason Your guy can't do at least some at home. There are youtube videos on how to train as well. I've messaged my friend with the most experience to find out where to get one for the best price. I'll start a thread when the answer comes in.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6176]linwhite[/MENTION] - I've seen Pittys do a fantastic job of weight pulling competitively speaking. The EB Dogs 101 video on animal planet that covers this topic.

Bo doesn't pull the cart by himself -- even though he could. The challenge for him is mental first, physical second. Someday he will have a real harness and potentially pull that thing -- but never with any real weight in it. Our efforts are to challenge his busy, busy, busy little brain!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.