Help Needed! First timer and need help!

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
I have wanted a bulldog for along time and finally made the move after having four boston terriers. Nate is my babies name and he is a great dog with the kids and family, but and yes their is always a "but". But house breaking has not bin easy. My little boy dribbles as he walks around, not alot just one or two dripps. At night he dribbles in bed. Also, when he poops he it wants to come out, but he holds it for hours and walks around with swamp ***. Sorry for such a hard post I just don't know what to do. Nate is now 10 weeks old, we got him at 7 weeks old. We love him dearly, but my washer machine is on its last leg. Thanks for such a great site and will let you know how I make out.. nate 005.jpg

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: Richard.... Im not a puppy person but several will be along shortly. I'd like to point out that we have a welcomes and introduction forum where you can introduce your baby and include pictures if you'd like. Feel free to participate and please take advantage of all the articles on raising one of these wonderful pups.. We are here to support you as you are taken over and ruled. ;)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have wanted a bulldog for along time and finally made the move after having four boston terriers. Nate is my babies name and he is a great dog with the kids and family, but and yes their is always a "but". But house breaking has not bin easy. My little boy dribbles as he walks around, not alot just one or two dripps. At night he dribbles in bed. Also, when he poops he it wants to come out, but he holds it for hours and walks around with swamp ***. Sorry for such a hard post I just don't know what to do. Nate is now 10 weeks old, we got him at 7 weeks old. We love him dearly, but my washer machine is on its last leg. Thanks for such a great site and will let you know how I make out..

:smileywelcome: Richard

Bulldog puppies are just like having a skin baby. they need the love and all that attention and training and good diet too. He is very young at 10 weeks, you have a long wait for him to be able to control his small bladder. It kinda goes like, they can hold their bladder and poop for two hours at 2 months , 3 hours at 3 months, 4 hours at 4 months and so on until they reach 8 hours. so for right now he should be going out every 2 hours, before and after he eats and before bedtime. You should be do for some vaccines shortly, ask you vet about the dribble and holding his poop for hours, cause that just don't sound right. Please keep us posted. We like to see pictures too :2thumbs:

OP
Richard Jones

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
Thanks guys, I thought the same thing. My wife does an incredible job on taking him out. I would say once an hour and then at night 9p, 12a and 5a. We feed him at 3p, but he will not go number two until 5a? This little boy has all of our hearts and we will never give up. Thanks for all of your help and will keep you posted.. I will try to post my first picture, give me a couple of minutes. Thanks guys...

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
feeding at 3pm and no :poo: until 5am... doesnt sound right at all to me, we got Hershey at 12-14 weeks and it was feeding and out until :poo: (usually a few minutes) its very important to get them on a schedule (that it seems like you are doing) and definately feed the puppy 3 times a day for the first few months - Over feeding at any meal, will tend to lead to dihierra or atleast very loose stools. Also go for a high quality food, dont short the pup on this, Cheap food is more expensive in the long run (you need to feed MORE of the cheap food, and it can cause issues later, allergies etc)

I'm not a pup expert, but went through the puppy stage 6 months ago. (well Hershey is only 9 months, so he is still a pup, but the YOUNG puppy stage I guess!)

Oh make sure he has plenty of clean fresh water (FILTERED water helps with Tear Stains!) - We would pick up the water after 7pm - some would leave water out 24/7 others regulate when they can have water.

and Welcome!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
He should be a pooping machine at this age! He should be going poop after every meal an first thing in the morning and at night before bed. I hope things get better for you!

OP
Richard Jones

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
Thank you for all of the great replies. This has made my wife and I feel much better. At first we thought we were bad parents. Sounds like we just have to hang in their. Pictures have been added. Thanks and have a great day everybody.. The Jones Family....

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Maybe try adding a spoonful of pumpkin to his kibble. 100% pumpkin..not the pie filling. It is great source of fiber and might move him along. Are you feeding him 2 or 3 times a day?

[MENTION=7567]Richard Jones[/MENTION]

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Generally a puppy will pee and poop within about 15 minutes of eating ( 3 times a day is recommended at this age) , sleeping and playing. In other words, just about all the time :yes: 7 weeks was a little early to be taken from his littler so it might have something to do with this adjustment time. The most important thing is to get this little sweetie- pie checked out by the vet to rule out anything organic. The poop thing is a little unusual so I would definitely ask the vet about that. Also try to find a vet that is very familiar with Bulldogs. Bullies are a very unique breed and many vets do not understand the issues and brachycephalic physiology of the breed. EBN has a very good list of excellent vets if you feel that your vet may not be the most knowledgeable. The most important thing is the diet as has been stated here. With the right diet of high quality food there will be a lot less to be concerned about. Again check EBN for an extensive list of high quality foods. Many vets do not really have a strong knowledge of what foods a Bully will thrive best on. Do not give your little fur baby anything with corn wheat or soy additives. That goes for food and treats. It can cause a whole host of problems in Bullies. Even with a clean bill of health and high value, nutritious food expect accidents at this age though because they don't have much control. If you miss the signals- circling rapidly, sniffing the floor, getting mouthy - they need to go FAST and will have potty accidents for the next little while. Nate is totally adora-bull. Welcome to EBN and all things Bully!!!!!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
you have been given great advice so I just want to say good luck and hang in there, he is little but he will get there! love the picture, Nate is seriously Adore-A-Bull!!!

OP
Richard Jones

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
Thanks everybody, the help on here has been so appreciated I cannot thank you enough.. Will keep you posted..

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I have wanted a bulldog for along time and finally made the move after having four boston terriers. Nate is my babies name and he is a great dog with the kids and family, but and yes their is always a "but". But house breaking has not bin easy. My little boy dribbles as he walks around, not alot just one or two dripps. At night he dribbles in bed. Also, when he poops he it wants to come out, but he holds it for hours and walks around with swamp ***. Sorry for such a hard post I just don't know what to do. Nate is now 10 weeks old, we got him at 7 weeks old. We love him dearly, but my washer machine is on its last leg. Thanks for such a great site and will let you know how I make out..View attachment 33666

OMG! So he's playing basketball all day and all night?!

Members online

No members online now.