Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Lola has been doing ok today! I make her sit before food but for some reason today when I say sit she rolled over on her back and stays there instead of sit. Not sure what that means or I will sat sit and she will lay down on her belly and slide her body slowly towards me what the heck does all this mean?

When I began to train Miss Tallulah and get serious about rules limits and boundaries she started doing the exact same thing. Leesa (Bulldogs 4me) is exactly right. Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION]-I am always calm but firm with her I never yell just say thing in a monotone way. Her first reaction is to roll on her back. When this happens should I take this as showing me she understands and knows her place or should I make her listen to the command sit? Like should I keep saying sit tell she listens or take her rolling on her back as her way of working for her food?

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=4570]Tooleysmom[/MENTION]-Glad im soing something right! It was making me feel bad like I was being to mean to her or doing something wrong!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
You ARE doing all the right things. What you interpret as mean is really kindness and Lola will never take it as mean. Actually it makes dogs very secure to know there are rules. I also learned from my trainer to never repeat a command more than twice. Easier said than done but I learned words should be used sparingly. When Miss T would roll on her back I would wait a few minutes acknowledging her understanding of the hierarchy and then gently but with enthusiasm repeat the sit command. Then I would reward her with a small bit of treat -about the size of my baby fingernail -and say "good sit". To this day though, when she does something I don't like, I give her the stink eye (love that phrase!!!) and she drops down and rolls on her side. The other thing I learned about Bullies is sometimes you need to be a little more patient than with other breeds. Like I wait a few seconds after giving a command and I can see her actually thinking before she does what she is asked. I am also a firm believer in tiny treats/rewards for doing the right things. Glad to pass on what I learned and if any of it makes sense please give it a try.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Thanks for all the help! She does sit right away with a treat but if im holding the food and tell her to sit she rolls on her back. I can see things changing for us and it feels good to know Im doing whats best for her!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Ok just when I think things are getting better things change! I was in the kitchen cooking and Lola came in and was watching me cook next thing i know there is warm fluid around my left foot and I was standing in a puddle! WTH!!!!!!! I don't understand why she is doing this! The past week has been horrible with her peeing! she went on my couch twice then on me all down my side on the couch now right next to my foot, why every is when she is by me? Why is she choosing to do this right up against me? All three times on the couch were when she was sitting next to me or on me now in the kitchen on my foot I just don't get it! Im so frustrated! She has really done good today and listened and I thought was really getting the hang of things and now this. Some one please help!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
It sucks but these are tests. What was your reaction? She certainly was looking for one. If you are reading her signs and taking her out for regular potty times ( which I have no doubt you are totally doing,) then she is testing you ( and maybe testing her possible dominance) to see whether or not she can get a reaction. If she got a reaction in the past even a negative one, she might be looking for attention. But I know you give her tons of attention so that is probably not the whole story. Some dogs don't give up as easily - each has a unique personality. With Miss T I would not look at her, not react, turn my back and walk away into another room with no communication. One time she stood right in front of me and did a defiant little pee on the floor. (another time it was on the bed when we were watching TV) As soon as she was out of sight of the pee, ( in another room or outside) I would quietly clean it up with enzyme stuff to make sure there was no residual odour for her to go back to. Then when she pottied outside she got major praise and major high value ie: her most favourite treat, little chunks of dried beef. She tested me several times over a few months then all of a sudden it stopped. Hang in there. These little fur babies are complicated but we love them anyway. Of course I had a few good cries feeling like " loser bulldog mama" in those days.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=4570]Tooleysmom[/MENTION]-I know I must be doing something wrong I just don't know what? I give her lots of love and I snuggle and kiss on her all the time. I was proud of her this morning because I put her food down and walked away without making her sit and stay tell I said it was ok, but I walked back to the kitchen realized what I did and walked back to her bowl and there she was in the sit position waiting for me! So I think she understands what is going on and who the alpha is I think she just likes to push me sometimes to see how far she can push. When she did that last night if felt like I stood there for 5 minutes in shock then I walked into the bathroom and cleaned my foot. After that I went and cleaned it up and went about the evening. I feel horrible like im leading her wrong and I dont want to confuse her! I have faith things will get better and me and her will get the hang of it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
-I know I must be doing something wrong I just don't know what? I give her lots of love and I snuggle and kiss on her all the time. I was proud of her this morning because I put her food down and walked away without making her sit and stay tell I said it was ok, but I walked back to the kitchen realized what I did and walked back to her bowl and there she was in the sit position waiting for me! So I think she understands what is going on and who the alpha is I think she just likes to push me sometimes to see how far she can push. When she did that last night if felt like I stood there for 5 minutes in shock then I walked into the bathroom and cleaned my foot. After that I went and cleaned it up and went about the evening. I feel horrible like im leading her wrong and I dont want to confuse her! I have faith things will get better and me and her will get the hang of it!

It is a long road,,,, stay consistent and she will fall into place

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]-I think things will get better too! It's so easy to feel frustrated and forget how far we have come but when I look back on just a week ago we really have made progress! She is being good today!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
It is 2 steps forward, 1 step back sometimes. But it is always going to move forward. I am not the most patient person and the saying " you don't get the dog you want, you get the dog you need" is so true. My Tooleybear has made me learn to become a more patient and forgiving (to myself) Bully mum. I am a better person for having her in my life but oh!! how I had to remind myself sometimes. :yes: In the meantime we are all here to support you getting through this.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=4570]Tooleysmom[/MENTION]-Thank you for the support! I think we are getting the hang of it! Im sure it will be a long road but so worth it! She is just like my skin kids, sometimes you get pushed to the point you think your going to break but you never do and you just keep going and it gets better!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
@Tooleysmom-Thank you for the support! I think we are getting the hang of it! Im sure it will be a long road but so worth it! She is just like my skin kids, sometimes you get pushed to the point you think your going to break but you never do and you just keep going and it gets better!
Somehow I think this little bit of true wisdom you have written here will be passed on to many new Bully mums and papas that come to this site looking for reassurance and support. Well said!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=4570]Tooleysmom[/MENTION]-I have learned that a lot of Lola's behavior I can relate to with my kids so I try to think if this were my skin kid how would I handle it and I go from there.

Most Reactions