Help Needed! Going potty on my couch!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
So the last week my dear sweet Lola has went potty on my couch 2 times then about a half hour ago she jumped up on the couch and backed her but up to my side and went pee all down me and all over my couch! Why in the h*ll is she doing this all of a sudden and what can I do to make her stop? I guess she was saying happy new years to me!:cursing:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like a dominates thing, so next time she jumps up on the couch, immediately make her get down, no more being on the couch until she grows out of this. Plus I would go back to basics on training, and make her sit before going outside, and you go out first. Make her sit for her food and she earns affection too.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
wowza! that is not good, I had a real dominance war with Molly she would pee on my bed in the spot I sleep, anything that smelled like me she would try to mark ... first don't allow her on the sofa, allowing her on the sofa is a reward that she hasn't earned. She is challenging you for "top dog" position so time to turn on the "Calm Assertive Energy" and take a stand ... going to call on @Vicaroo1000 for help ... I hate when it comes to it but you may have to submit her to renew dominance; but make sure to do it correctly, to correctly submit a dog you lay them on their side, not on their back, hold at the neck with a bite claw, when she gives total submission she will completely relax and lay still once you've gained that submission stand and walk away from her the Alpha always leaves the dominated dog laying in submission. Be sure you never use angry energy with her, she won't respect you if you act in anger ... take a deep breath and calmly make your stand. Good luck, keep us updated on how things go!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have been making her sit to go out and I walk in the door first, I started that about 2 weeks back. She was doing this thing where she would jump on the couch in my face and bark at me so now every time she does that I push her off the couch so she hasn't done that for about a week since I started doing that! She is giving me a run for my money right now! I try to treat her good because I love her and don't want to be mean but this has got to stop before I go crazy! Getting in the shower and washing the pee off me was not my idea of fun!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have been making her sit to go out and I walk in the door first, I started that about 2 weeks back. She was doing this thing where she would jump on the couch in my face and bark at me so now every time she does that I push her off the couch so she hasn't done that for about a week since I started doing that! She is giving me a run for my money right now! I try to treat her good because I love her and don't want to be mean but this has got to stop before I go crazy! Getting in the shower and washing the pee off me was not my idea of fun!

I know it's difficult to go through but just be firm and consistent with her, it's not being mean its being a good dog parent!! Dogs rely on clear consistent rules boundaries and limitations to make them feel safe. keeping with that always, you are giving her a balanced life!!! I promise that is whats best for her!!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I just took her out to go potty and I made her sit and stay before I put the leash on then I made sure I was first to go out the door and first to come in. Now I am fighting with her because she keeps jumping up on the couch and trying to smell the place were she went potty and I keep pushing her off.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I just took her out to go potty and I made her sit and stay before I put the leash on then I made sure I was first to go out the door and first to come in. Now I am fighting with her because she keeps jumping up on the couch and trying to smell the place were she went potty and I keep pushing her off.

be firm ... even if she jumps up 100 times, correct the behavior and make her get down, don't let her get her way!!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
She is still at my feet whining and I just gave her some food with cottage cheese and I made her sit and stay tell I told her she could eat. She didnt like that much and kept trying to get up but I would say no in a firm voice and tell her to sit again so after she stopped fighting me then I told her to eat. This is going to be a long battle but she is listening more than I thought she would!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Stay with all you are doing... it is long and patient road but will pay off

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Sounds like a dominates thing, so next time she jumps up on the couch, immediately make her get down, no more being on the couch until she grows out of this. Plus I would go back to basics on training, and make her sit before going outside, and you go out first. Make her sit for her food and she earns affection too.

I totally agree with David. Remi "peed" once on the couch, and that was because he was so excited by all the people that he actually piddled. It was just a small amount, but yeah, it sucked!!! Hang in there...

Something that has been helping Remi's ornery stage (you really don't want to know!!) is putting him on a leash inside the house when he's acting out to reestablish the pack leader aspect. I make him do basic commands and follow me around, at my side or behind, and when he does all effortlessly without question, the reward is getting off the leash. Like David said, definitely make him work for everything, toys, food, etc. Good luck!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola has been doing good today! She wasn't let on the couch last night or today so she has been sitting at my feet. She doesnt cry to get up today and I have been making her sit and stay tell I tell her she can eat. I also make her sit and stay when its time to go out potty. She is doing well at listening today. Last night when I made her sit and stay to get her dinner she didn't know what to think and she tried getting up a few times but we eventually got it and this morning I did the same thing so by lunch she knew what to do and did it! I think the worse thing for her is not being able to sit on my lap.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Bravo Well done. Your consistency is paying off. In the long run you will have a happy secure Bully because really they want rules boundaries and limits. Good work!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

"Pushing her off" may appear differently to her than it does to you (as a human). Don't push her off (physically); she is probably seeing this as a "challenge". Use energy / body language and as little sound as possible to make HER take HERSELF off the couch. Calm and assertive means EMOTIONLESS. Pack leaders are calm and fair and just. Pack leaders are not frustrated, fearful or angry.

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] is spot on; no more couch / bed / chair / anything that elevates -- for her for now. Remember: the more calm and iron-clad-consistent you are, the faster your little darling will grab a giant clue! Cesar says, "We don't get the dog we want; we get the dog we need." Congrats. The universe is handing you a marvelous challenge! Make it happen!

(Remember, the puppy-daddy has to mirror this same message too!)

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola has been doing ok today! I make her sit before food but for some reason today when I say sit she rolled over on her back and stays there instead of sit. Not sure what that means or I will sat sit and she will lay down on her belly and slide her body slowly towards me what the heck does all this mean?

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
showing of the belly is the ultimate submission for a dog and the crawling towards you on her belly is submission as well ... if you have ever seen wolves they do that action when approaching the alpha to show him/her respect and that they submit to him/her.

She is learning something new right now and from what it sounds to me showing you she understands. One thing I would suggest is make sure when you are having her work for her food etc etc that your actions are always calm ..... true assertiveness is never forceful or angry it's calm collected and respectful, I'm sure you know this already but having found myself in a less than calm assertive situation today I just thought I would throw that out there :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.