Tess at 18 months Aggressive

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Tess first showed signs of aggressive this week when she didn't want to get in her crate and my husband try to grab her by her dog collar. We both though she was going to take his hand off. It was first time she has ever done that. What would cause that? And how can we get this under control??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Not excusing her behavior, but Tess may have just been afraid your husband was going to harm her and so she was defending herself. Was he very forceful w/Tess when he grabbed the collar or did he just nudge her? When you try getting her to her crate make sure it's as pleasant an experience as possible; lots of rewarding w/treats and toys and praise for going inside the crate.

I have spoken w/an animal behaviorist when Finn growled at me once for taking his toy away and he advised me to immediately get him to do his basic commands--Sit, Stay, Down, with a leash and collar. Just to get him back on track w/who is the pack leader.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Sounds to me like she was worried that she was going to get hurt. Although that doesn't excuse what she did.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree. His body language and actions together may h ave frightened her. I agree with Cali Baker..you must assert yourself as pack leader. You do this with firmness and consistency. You are the BIG DOG. You lead..she follows. Don't raise your voice, don't grab her..just be in charge.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh gosh, it's so scary and upsetting when that 1st happens and very disheartening!

Please don't be afraid of her reaction...or her...nor is this aggressive behavor, at her
age, she is becoming an adult with an adult mindset, not a puppy's. I believe she was
startled and afraid and her instinct was to protect herself. Not excusing it but just need
to understand what happened between y'all and to look at it from HER viewpoint.

I've had Brutus 6 months, he's had many homes, no particular reason that I see, just a
bunch of people who probably did not have the time, the money and didn't understand
the work a bully requires...I know the woman I got him from certainly had no clue. He's
been mostly crated for long periods at a time, was not potty trained, did not know how
to play w/people or toys...I had him about a month and was trying to get him outside to
potty, wasn't thinking and grabbed him to put him out. He growled and showed his teeth
and it scared me to death. When I thought back tho, I remembered the grimace on his face.

It was fear...he thought I was going to HIT him...it broke me, I sat down beside him, cuddled
him and just bawled for all the bad stuff that had happened along the way to him. I realized I
needed to be mindful and RESPECTFUL and that I hadn't been when I grabbed him-he sensed
my irritation and that I must see things from his side.

Since then mutual trust and love has grown so much that I could probably do anything and he
wouldn't react that way because he KNOWS I'd never hurt him. I now am very respectful of his
feelings, he IS slower than I'd like sometimes but I just stay patient and firm and he responds to
that. Bulldogs are different, they are not push overs & kiss a**es like some dogs, they demand
respect altho we MUST be the alpha...the pack leader...always...so they respect us!

Hope this helps, just make it clear YOU are in charge, in control, be firm, consistent, loving & patient
and VERY CLEAR about what you want her to do and wait until she does then reward her.

Good luck & GOD bless!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have found with my sons Chocolate Lab she does not like to go into the crate and would do what ever she could to avoid being locked in so I went with the treat method to lure her into the crate, I would grab a treat and walk to the crate and make her follow me I get her to look at me then open the crate door and tell her to "kennel" as I threw the treat to the back of the crate ... she of course being food motivated would run into the crate, then I would give praise "good girl or good kennel Ally" so the last thing she remembers of being in the crate is getting something yummy and happy words from me!! It took time (about a month) and consistency but she will now get in her crate and no longer fears it.

Also with Chance my new foster he doesn't always willing leave rooms or go into other rooms so I've been using my legs to gently walk him down the hall or out the door when needed ... I walk up behind him, close enough that my legs touch his butt (he is standing somewhat between my feet) and gently start walking slowly forward and he will automatically walk forward and its a gentle movement so it is not scary for him.

L

Lucy-licious

Tess first showed signs of aggressive this week when she didn't want to get in her crate and my husband try to grab her by her dog collar. We both though she was going to take his hand off. It was first time she has ever done that. What would cause that? And how can we get this under control??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just moving this into the behavioural forum where it might get a few more answers and suggestions. X

I agree that it might be a fear reaction....a scared animal will either try to run or fight and often a bit if both. Your husbands sudden move for her collar could have startled her causing her to turn. It doesnt excuse it but if it is a fear reaction you need to deal with it differently as shouting and scolding will make it worse. Be calm and consistent, no sudden movements and plenty if praise and treats when she us co-operating and being good. Lots of good girls to reassure her that she us doing things right.
:hug: for you and your hubby it must be very upsetting for you both xx

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
We must use caution before labeling a dog "aggressive".

Dogs are instinctual and I'm guessing she reacted to your husband's energy and abrupt handling. Practice calm and assertive leadership with Tess.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have said, she may have been scared or was protesting because she did not want to do what was happening. And, based on your husbands tone and forcefulness she was probably protecting herself. Go back to basics and teach her that you are alpha and her crate is a positive place.... treats and positive vibes.

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Thanks everyone for the great advise. Back to basic is where we will start. She is my baby so I know she will be fine. 😉

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thanks everyone for the great advise. Back to basic is where we will start. She is my baby so I know she will be fine. 

You can do it! We're all here for you. Many of us have gone thru or still are going thru some behavioral issues w/our bullies too so we're here to help.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Thanks everyone for the great advise. Back to basic is where we will start. She is my baby so I know she will be fine. 

If its possible for you to do a few crate sessions during the day I would suggest calling her to the crate and tossing a treat into the back of the crate let her go in, praise her for it and let her come right back out so its not a scary place love on her then toss another treat let her go in, and get it again praise her for going in love on her and let her come right back out then stop the session ... do this as often as you can and she will begin to think of the crate as a happy place and will want to go in! Have your husband do this also so her memories of him and the crate become a happy one as well. I know we all get in a hurry because of the demands life sets for us but just a little patience will go so far with our beloved babies, when its time to put her in the crate ... take a deep breath so you have calm energy and put her in, in the beginning a treat is always a great reward, over time she will just go into the crate without hesitation.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.