General Question Training and Age

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Rumble is about ready to be 13 weeks and is growing like a weed! His last vet appointment at 11 weeks he weighed 17.6 lbs! Anyways, I have a couple general questions on where he should be training wise and behavior wise. So far he is acting like the normal puppy by chewing everything insight including us. We try to tell him no and redirect his attention to an acceptable chew toy but it seems like he doesn't care and just wants to chew on me or my husband. We have tried walking away from him when he is continuously biting us and while this works for about a minute as soon as we are back he just starts biting us again. Is this still normal or is there something else I should try to direct his chewing towards acceptable things to chew on? We have also tried change in a bottle (which worked for a day) and whining or making a yelping noise like a puppy (which never worked).

Also, so we can be close to him and play with him a lot of time we sit on the floor with him. However, when he starts to really want to chew on us he will pounce and sometimes gets really close to biting our face. Any suggestions?

We have gotten him to sit before he is given food but other than that he just kind of looks at us like we are crazy. The thing I am most concerned about with is when he goes outside to potty and then proceeds to try and eat weeds and dirt clumps. We are continuously picking these things out of his mouth and am worried that one time we will miss something. Right now we just let him out the door since we have a fenced in back yard. Do we need to try putting his leash on him everytime he goes out?

Any advice will be helpful as I'm confused on if this is normal puppy behavior or not! Also, we will start a puppy training class the end of January.

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
I'm not of a whole lot of help, I can say that Brutus did a lot of the biting at that age as well. We told him no, stopped playing and such. More then anything I think he just grew out of it (he will be six months 1/6) I think it stopped right around 3 months though.

I think the same thing with putting stuff in his mouth, although Brtutus still does this. I call him a little vacuum cleaner. If it's on the floor/groud/patio he grabs it. We are working on the drop it lesson right now.

Good luck & congrats on Rumble! Would love to see some pictures

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Our Bogey is 11 weeks and going thru the same biting period. OUCH!! It really is just a stage And you are doing everything right so stay the course. When he gets really bad, we crate him and that seems to calm him down. It's nice that you have a fenced in yard, so I would not leash him out there, but I would take him out in the neighborhood for strolls to get used to the leash. It also serves to expend some of his puppy energy!! He is just adorable by the way, and living up to his name!!!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
expending his puppy energy is a good start, the other thing we did with Bacon was to push his lip into his mouth when he is biting so he realized it hurt. Don't do it hard but there jowel will easily get in there. Other then that he grew out of biting. Eating things he still does and he is a year old.

Cocoa

Dec 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Cocoa
Oh gosh - great news ... I thought I was the only 1. My 10 week old is about to shred my hands. I play with her aggressively & started thinking I was instigating it

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
Wow, at first I thought you were talking about Nate, my 10 week old english bulldog. He is doing the same exact things. I thought it was something I was doing wrong, but after reading on the site and talking to other owners this is common. Our Nater goes number one once in a while after we just took him out? It sounds like we need to hang in their. Your little one is beautiful and Good Luck..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.