General Question How quickly does your bully learn commands/tricks?

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Just curious how fast your bully(s) can learn a new command or trick. :)

I had a couple snow days here in WI (we got 18 inches where I live) and so since I was snowed in with my Tonka at the end of last week, I taught him a new trick....to play dead. I used little pieces of fresh green bean to train him and after only showing him a couple times what I wanted him to do and then praising him and giving him the green bean, he had already learned the trick! :2thumbs: After that, when I said "play dead" he would roll over on his back and stick his paws in the air! So cute! He has been like this with every trick he has learned thus far. He learns it instantly. He is still extremely stubborn and half the time wont do things I want him to (like coming when I call him and he's outside) but I know that little bugger hears and understands every word I say. It's just a matter of choosing to listen haha. He is smarter than he lets on, that's for sure! :yes: I didn't even show him how to sit when he was a puppy, I just said the command and was about to push his little butt down to show him what I wanted him to do but he did it automatically! He also learned to shake and lay down very fast. With previous dogs I have owned it has taken a lot longer (days and lots of repetition) to teach and learn a new trick.

Do your bullies catch on fast? Especially when given food motivation?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola is hard headed so it takes a while and there has to be treats involved lol!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=3445]Meggs19[/MENTION] - No VIDEO? Come ON! You can't do that to us! I wanna see Tonka play dead!

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
@Meggs19 - No VIDEO? Come ON! You can't do that to us! I wanna see Tonka play dead!

I know, I know, I wish I could but I am the last person on earth with a "dumb" phone and don't have the video capability on it! I am finally getting a smart phone this weekend so when I do, I will have to take a video of Tonka doing his tricks and post! :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Getting Vegas to sit or down was easy as a pup, it took me I swear a full year to finally get him to high five me. I used everything but a side of beef to treat him and he just couldn't get it. NOW he will high five on command.

sstewart2010

Dec 10, 2012
Garden City, Michigan, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Leroy
I taught Leroy how to "shake" hands (give me his paw in my hand) a couple of weeks ago. Here recently he has been using his paws A LOT to get our attention so I figured I'd turn it into something positive:) He caught on very quickly, I held some kibble in my left hand and put his paw in my right hand & every time he did that he got a piece of kibble. After only a few mins he was doing it on his own, sitting down and holding out his paw!! He is really smart and now every time I get a treat out for him he sits and puts his paw out to "shake", it is just so cute! Yeah Leroy picks and chooses when he wants to listen to me too. I found a trick though to get him to come inside when I want him to: I simply say "OK Leroy I'll see you later, bye" and I start to close the door-it works every time he is running like crazy lol. It also works inside but I'll just walk down a hallway or something.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse doesn't do what Ftse doesn't want to do.

If Ftse wants to do it Ftse does it LOL

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Chunky learns really fast, but he will decide if the treat is worth the task. Lol, understanding is one thing... giving a crap is another altogether!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus is very food motivated! It took him a couple mins with speak, gimme high five, sit, and lay down! We are working on roll over but he is a large piggy and having trouble with rolling over!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
@Meggs19 - No VIDEO? Come ON! You can't do that to us! I wanna see Tonka play dead!

My thoughts exactly!!!! POIDH!!

Remi is actually a very smart dog (despite what people say about bullies). Some of you may remember that one interaction I had with a really crappy trainer I met at a dog park, who said EBs were so stupid and stubborn, that they can't be trained, and he always turns them down. Then he said, you can't even get them to sit! Needless to say, I had Remi sit right then and there, and the guy was all flabbergasted and basically looked like an idiot.

Remi is 6 months and listens very well, and learns things very quickly, so long as there is the right motivation. (FOOD!!) We had him ringing the bell to go out in a matter of days. He comes, sits, lays down (poorly tho, I'll be honest), and stays in a position for a reasonable amount of time. Our hardest challenge is making him heel while we walk. He only recently started pulling, but I think we nipped that in the butt.

We also train him for things like staying on his side of the couch with a simple marker, and not going up the stairs with a tiny little gate he can step over.

EBs aren't easy, that's for sure, but I think I'm getting the hang of this thing!!! The trick is just to be extremely consistent.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Brutus is very food motivated! It took him a couple mins with speak, gimme high five, sit, and lay down! We are working on roll over but he is a large piggy and having trouble with rolling over!

Hilarious. Remi can't yet figure out how to give me his paw without tipping over.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hilarious. Remi can't yet figure out how to give me his paw without tipping over.

:ROFL: We need a video!!!! Thats so cute! Brutus tipped over the one time he tried to lift his leg while doing potty LOL Hasnt tried ever since :eek: LOL

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
:ROFL: We need a video!!!! Thats so cute! Brutus tipped over the one time he tried to lift his leg while doing potty LOL Hasnt tried ever since :eek: LOL

I THINK my camera can take video - will have to try that later.

Remi is extremely ornery. It's such a challenge to make him consistently behave. *falls over*

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

It's possible. Bea can "shake" but you have to recognize that she's holding that paw up as far as she can ---which ain't far and Bo can "high five". I thought I had a video of that somewhere...but I can't find it. Boo. Hiss. Boo.

Members online

No members online now.