Help Needed! fear issues in 8 month male bulldog

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
We're also having some fear issues with our 8 month old. We recently moved into a neighborhood that has a lot more dogs then where we lived before. A couple times I've had her outside and we've ran into other dogs that are a lot more playful then her. It seems like the other dogs just want to play, but kind of lunge at her and she get's really scared and tries to take off running. The other dogs are usually bigger then her, but I'm not sure how to break this. Anyone have any tips?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Recently, a couple of people have suggested trying Bach's Rescue Remedy.
It's a natural herbal that does a wonderful job of calming, also putting on a
Thunder shirt (or a tight Tshirt) helps some dogs. I would massage his chest
and shoulders to help him relax.

At his age, it's normal and he'll probably grow out of most of this but maybe
not all...bullies are very quirky, lol

Agree w/all great advice given so try it all, see what works, and keep us informed!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
When Percy is having a fearful episode, what do you do? Modifying your reaction to his reactions may help.

Most people -- instinctively - go "awww poor baby..don't be afraid.."...and that makes it worse. Allowing the dog to process that the cartoon is NOT going to eat him while being a strong support - perhaps by standing between Percy and the cartoon -- may help? Bea and Bo have both had ridicules episodes of fearfulness and I tend to want to baby them. I must not do that. The neighbor's patio umbrella is NOT going to swoop down and eat them whole - as an example. After we walk past it a few times, they figure out that nothing bad is going to happen and they move on to be freaky about something else. hahahahaha
Excellent advice. Miss Tallulah used to be quite fearful - the first time i opened the back gate after her final shots the poor baby shook and trembled- my heart went out to her- but I did this and it really worked. No babying, acting casual, I would go to the object if possible and claim it and let her sniff it. While she does that I make approving noises that let her know this is a good thing. I will also do some basic training after she settles a bit around the object or birds or whatever and reward her with high value treats. She can't resist. She only freaks out on the TV now with certain sounds. I also would reward her for any good behaviour around other dogs, especially if she walked by and did not bark - and eventually the treats mattered more than the other dogs and she associated seeing dogs and not barking with getting yummy treats eventually her relaxation became a habit. And she is totally calm with any dogs.

Poplawski

Jan 30, 2013
Los Angeles, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Ok I am glad I read this because our 19 month old is one big baby and whenever his dad is away he freaks out about everything. He is scared of loud noises during walks or anything unexpected so I started giving him a treat and petting him every time he jumps. He tries to run from the sound and situation while on leash and I started not letting him run away, keep him at my pace. I don't know if it is doing any good or not or if this is considered babying. But I guess I will find out.

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Have you tried a thundershirt?

Coco-300x224.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Thundershirt-...&qid=1362430881&sr=8-1&keywords=thunder+shirt

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.