Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fear issues in 8 month male bulldog

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: fear issues in 8 month male bulldog

HRH is afraid of a lot. She has come a long way, but it took us a year to get her to eat in the kitchen. she absolutely will not go outside in the dark, or the snow. Storms are another whole can of worms. Loud or sudden sounds send her scurrying for cover. Sudden movement from certain angles will also send her running for cover.
    Mostly we just live with it.
    Pick her up and carry her out if she refuses and we think she needs to go.
    She was trained and had very good manners for the most part when she came, so often we just reinforce with basic obedience commands and she does ok.

mabel lou

The way she came to me from the very first day when the breeders came here with her was the first sign something was not right and I agree that one must try other routes however I was causing her much more stress and fear doing things such as telling her "it's ok ect ect, she was afraid of tons of things so I agreed with the doctor who said medicate and introduce her to the things this way. She was at a calm now so it allowed me to introduce her to the items that she was freaking out over. It all worked out and she was a happy girl around all the things that she was so fearful of once she was on medicine. Everybody has there own way of doing things and my doctor felt this is what would be best for her at the time.

Bulldog(s) Names
    percy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to everyone for the help! Its so hard with Percy, he is 65lbs of pure muscle at 8 months, so strong! The other thing that makes this so hard is that we live in a huge sprawling condo complex with tons of grassy lawns, (great) and TONS of dogs that seem to, for the most part, be very territorial. So anytime we go out for a walk around to pee, almost always Percy will get rushed by an offleash dog, or there will be dogs on balconies barking like crazy, which makes him so anxious. I practically have to hold his great big paw while he tries to poop-he is so nervous and sure some dog is going to charge him. Now, if he even hears a twig snap-barkingbarkingbarking!!!! It is exhausing.......I have had trainers tell me to NEVER walk him on this property, but that is just a bit unrealistic. Any more ideas or just plain old commiseration will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Petunia aka "Tuni"
    Likes (Received)

We're also having some fear issues with our 8 month old. We recently moved into a neighborhood that has a lot more dogs then where we lived before. A couple times I've had her outside and we've ran into other dogs that are a lot more playful then her. It seems like the other dogs just want to play, but kind of lunge at her and she get's really scared and tries to take off running. The other dogs are usually bigger then her, but I'm not sure how to break this. Anyone have any tips?

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Recently, a couple of people have suggested trying Bach's Rescue Remedy.
    It's a natural herbal that does a wonderful job of calming, also putting on a
    Thunder shirt (or a tight Tshirt) helps some dogs. I would massage his chest
    and shoulders to help him relax.

At his age, it's normal and he'll probably grow out of most of this but maybe
    not all...bullies are very quirky, lol

Agree w/all great advice given so try it all, see what works, and keep us informed!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    When Percy is having a fearful episode, what do you do? Modifying your reaction to his reactions may help.

Most people -- instinctively - go "awww poor baby..don't be afraid.."...and that makes it worse. Allowing the dog to process that the cartoon is NOT going to eat him while being a strong support - perhaps by standing between Percy and the cartoon -- may help? Bea and Bo have both had ridicules episodes of fearfulness and I tend to want to baby them. I must not do that. The neighbor's patio umbrella is NOT going to swoop down and eat them whole - as an example. After we walk past it a few times, they figure out that nothing bad is going to happen and they move on to be freaky about something else. hahahahaha
    Excellent advice. Miss Tallulah used to be quite fearful - the first time i opened the back gate after her final shots the poor baby shook and trembled- my heart went out to her- but I did this and it really worked. No babying, acting casual, I would go to the object if possible and claim it and let her sniff it. While she does that I make approving noises that let her know this is a good thing. I will also do some basic training after she settles a bit around the object or birds or whatever and reward her with high value treats. She can't resist. She only freaks out on the TV now with certain sounds. I also would reward her for any good behaviour around other dogs, especially if she walked by and did not bark - and eventually the treats mattered more than the other dogs and she associated seeing dogs and not barking with getting yummy treats eventually her relaxation became a habit. And she is totally calm with any dogs.

“Happiness is a warm puppy.”
    Charles M. Schulz

Real Name
    JB
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Ok I am glad I read this because our 19 month old is one big baby and whenever his dad is away he freaks out about everything. He is scared of loud noises during walks or anything unexpected so I started giving him a treat and petting him every time he jumps. He tries to run from the sound and situation while on leash and I started not letting him run away, keep him at my pace. I don't know if it is doing any good or not or if this is considered babying. But I guess I will find out.
    Brutus!

Bulldog(s) Names
    BREMBO
    Likes (Received)

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajwhitt44 View Post
    I love the thunder shirt but I find remi just shuts down as opposed to being less anxious. And he naps!! I use this when I need him to stay out of trouble for an hour or two, or when he is overly worked up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads