Help Needed! Ouch!!! Biter

Keisha

Dec 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Well well mr. gus is a nibbler and i didnt know those wee little teeth would be so sharp! so far i keep redirecting him to snake (his favorite toy at the moment) or if he really wont stop i'll gently lay him on his back and put my hand on his check and tell him not to bite to be easy.. and he'll calm down, but hes started biting his crate, and he got his poor little mouth stuck! and just cried.. made me feel so bad... it only took a second to get him unstuck but im worried that may happen again when im not home :( my question is how do you get them not to nibble the crate? 100_2665.jpg And if that isnt attitude i dont know what is!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I would try to give him lots of different textures to chew on. Some hard rubber like a Kong toy and also a Nylabone, those are hard. Even a cloth toy and under supervision only . He's so cute and yes those shark teeth will wake up up:blink:

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
deer/elk antlers seem to work well too... Xena loves to lay there and chew on hers (when she isn't attacking her bedding)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola loves the stuffed bones! She will chew on them for hours!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Lots of teething toys and Mr. Gus sure is handsome.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
deer/elk antlers seem to work well too... Xena loves to lay there and chew on hers (when she isn't attacking her bedding)

Remi likes the antler, but it seems too hard for me at the moment. He doesn't play with it for long.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
When we went through this stage, I GENUINELY thought it would never get better! hahaha but it does! We had quite a little shark over here. No toes were safe for quite a while.

Around 4 months, it got much, much better, and now at 6 months, Matilda is all cuddles and long ago were we fearing for our feet.

The trick to getting over it is patience, raw marrow bones, and antlers. We had tried everything else - bitter apple spray (she likes it), spraying water (absolute LAST resort - didn't really have much of an effect), saying "no" (ha), ending play when she bites (most effective), and time out (effective, except for she knew when she bit too hard... so she would bite hard, and then run under the bed). The best thing you can do is just wait it out, and give her lots of distracting treats - especially frozen!

Good luck :)

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
My 12 week old Spielman bites EVERYTHING. I do not care what it is, bricks, metal end table legs, you name it. He doesn't bite me anymore because I use a technique I read on this site, I take my thumb and press on his tongue, kind of like you would hold a large mouth bass. I press his tongue on the bottom of his mouth and he hates it so he knows not to bite me anymore. My wife and kids do not seem to be able to use this method and he still will go into crazy phases and start biting them. He loves to chase pant legs. When he gets too wild we put him in his crate. He too has gotten his lower jaw stuck while chewing the crate but he is able to get unstuck after a little while himself. I can't wait til he grows out of the biting stage I know that.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.