General Question Behaviors

mkallen10

Dec 17, 2012
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha "Mo" and Millie
Hey everyone! Need some suggestions...having some issues with Mo and her chewing. She has chewed base boards, walls, shoes, etc. She has plenty of bones, toys and ropes to chew on..what can I do to help with this??

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
Is she getting plenty of play or walk time to put some energy into? I had a visitor pit that did the same, as long as I made sure she got plenty of exercise it was a world of difference. Have you tried using apple bitter? Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mkallen10

mkallen10

Dec 17, 2012
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha "Mo" and Millie
I try to wear her out daily lol. What is apple bitter?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Apple bitter is a spray you can put on baseboards, etc. that doesn't taste good to most dogs and will discourage chewing on whatever. We have had to pretty much Ruggles proof our house--no throw pillows, blankets, area rugs, etc. Fortunately we have tile and 7" tall wood baseboard that he hasn't tried to chew!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Boy..I feel your pain. Jake has eaten his fair share. If you've given her a variety of chew toys and enough exercise...maybe she has to be in an enclosed area. ??

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have used the doggy spray that is supposed to stop them chewing things that should not be chewed and it has worked with every single dog until Linus!! I think Linus likes the taste!! :bigeyes:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Does Mo have free reign of the house when you aren't there? Maybe a penned in area? The other thing we use to deter Bacon from chewing on things is a vinegar and water combo that we spray where we don't want him to chew.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
The only thing that helped Punk was her getting older. I lost 9 pairs of leather shoes - a leather couch - a leather love seat. . . Seriously she ate the leather off the couch and love seat. Thankfully they were old and much used. . . .

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I am no help on this! Brutus has managed to destroy 5 pairs of shoes (platform, heels) I know have a shoe rack that I can hang! Pretty much had to redecorate to prevent further chewing :blink: We keep him crated when we arent home! Good Luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The Bitter Apple spray may help and if you are wearing her out with play and walks, if she is doing this and you catch her -- do you redirect her to a toy/bone?
Also, if you are there when happening... try a water spray bottle... with a firm no, squirt her in the face with the water, she shuld eventually get the message

OP
mkallen10

mkallen10

Dec 17, 2012
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha "Mo" and Millie
Now we crate her when we leave. Before I was gating off the bedroom (not too big but plenty of room and she has her toys, bones and bed in there) but she has chewed up our baseboards and she would head butt the closet until it popped open and she had free reign of the shoes. She only likes my shoes. :( Ill try the apple bitter...where can I get it??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Now we crate her when we leave. Before I was gating off the bedroom (not too big but plenty of room and she has her toys, bones and bed in there) but she has chewed up our baseboards and she would head butt the closet until it popped open and she had free reign of the shoes. She only likes my shoes. :( Ill try the apple bitter...where can I get it??

All the big box pet stores carry it, but you can get it online too... usually just a few bucks

OP
mkallen10

mkallen10

Dec 17, 2012
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha "Mo" and Millie
Awesome..have to go to PetsMart to get food so I'll definitely grab some. Thanks guys!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

Good job! She'll learn - with time and your leadership - what's hers to chew and not to chew. Crating or exercise pen-ing a dog when you can't watch them, is a great way to set the pup up for success.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
lol I tried the water squirting bottle and they would stop what they were doing to DRINK WATER! it was so funny.
i have chewed up baseboards and edgings and a chewed up recliner arm...ah puppy days. They grew out of it thank goodness!
Good luck!

Most Reactions