General Question Leash or harness???

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Ok.
Luca is 15 weeks now and I swear he must be taking steroids and p90x'ing while I'm at work cause his muscle mass is growing like Jose Conseco. That being said, I'm starting to worry that having a leash on him may be not enough. Especially since he absolutely positively has to meet every person he sees on the street. Even if it means pulling me with all he's got in that direction. I keep having the the fear he's gonna snap this nylon leash on twine. He apparently doesn't mind choking himself to get to these people. Verbal sit commands work now and again but he always wants to go his way. Any tips on getting this ball of muscle to "heel" and

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 171

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi! I would absolutely recommend a harness as soon as you can find one to fit him that is strong enough. My two are the same way - they pull like crazy when they want to get to someone! Otherwise, I am pulling them! But always on harness, with a "decorative" collar with ID on it.
I heard a terrible story when I didn't have my pups yet, and we were waiting for the litter. I ran into two gorgeous bullies in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and we stopped to talk with them. They were wearing the Kong harnesses (the kind I own now) and I asked about them, I had never seen such awesome harnesses. They told me a sad sad story about how they had 3 EBs: one of their girls had recently died from a collapsed esophagus from the leash/collar and her pulling. A total freak accident.
I was so upset for them.

I have since read tons on how bullies should only be on harness.

Anyway, that is my two cents! Good luck with your little body-builder!!! :)

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I've been thinking about getting the harness that is like a vest for my bully and my corgi. That way they can wear it all the time - Punk because it will keep her warm and Lilly (corgi) because it will help with her separation issues. My little mixed breed only cares if there is a lap to sit in . . . he he.

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Hi! I would absolutely recommend a harness as soon as you can find one to fit him that is strong enough. My two are the same way - they pull like crazy when they want to get to someone! Otherwise, I am pulling them! But always on harness, with a "decorative" collar with ID on it.
I heard a terrible story when I didn't have my pups yet, and we were waiting for the litter. I ran into two gorgeous bullies in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and we stopped to talk with them. They were wearing the Kong harnesses (the kind I own now) and I asked about them, I had never seen such awesome harnesses. They told me a sad sad story about how they had 3 EBs: one of their girls had recently died from a collapsed esophagus from the leash/collar and her pulling. A total freak accident.
I was so upset for them.

I have since read tons on how bullies should only be on harness.

Anyway, that is my two cents! Good luck with your little body-builder!!! :)

I would definitely get a harness as well. If Mr. Seamus wants something or wants to play with a puppy he can pull me down, otherwise, like I am pulling him and I felt so bad when I just had a leash and collar on him. I waited until Seamus was a little bit older so I didn't have to buy 3 different sizes but I am sooo glad I got a harness. Not only is it great for walking but I also got the car clip adapter so I can clip him right in the back seat when we are driving. Much easier than pulling out the crate each time we go for a car ride. Plus I know he is safe all buckled in.

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
Hi [MENTION=7262]Kross225[/MENTION] - I sooo agree about getting a harness. Penelope was ok with just a collar when she was wee, up to about 4 months. Once she had all her shots, and was in puppy class and socializing in public a harness was a must. On the collar she would pull until she made herself sick. Was awful. I don't think you'll find a harness that will adjust enough to last until Luca is grown, we have gone through a few. The only other thing I'd add is to make sure the leash attaches at the top of the shoulders and not a the chest. We tried one that attached at the chest and she was constantly getting it wrapped on her neck or tangled in her feet. Good luck harness hunting. There are so many types!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
wow Luca is getting so big! I'm a big big believer in training, teaching a dog to walk properly on a leash is so important for their safety. one just FYI point, the harness was made for pulling so if you have a dog that pulls on their lead it won't stop them from doing it. with that being said, I can use either a flat collar or harness, I started using the harness because I have a terrible time finding a collar that fits Diesel's neck properly and he can slip out of any collar I've tried, it happened twice in a busy parking lot so I changed him over to the harness just because he can't slip out of it.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I prefer a harness over a collar. If your getting pulled around they have the "no pull" harness. I used this before switching to a regular harness.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=7262]Kross225[/MENTION] - I forgot to mention, at the Caroline Pet Pantry, they have a collar or harness called a Dozer's Harness that is made with bulldogs in mind, so they fit great!!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
TRAINING

And NO choke leash. Unlike pit bulls or other thick neck dogs, Bullies has weak neck muscles and you can damage with a choke chain/ collar.
Use a slip over collar for around the house or friends or a place where you KNOW nothing will happen.

Other times get a walking harness that applies pressure around the shoulder/chest and back.
Many good brands out there.

But even with that...your dog is NOT suppose to pull or lunge.
Train at your house first before you attempt to go for walks and stay away from dog parks!

Good Day~
ABEBD

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Luca is beautiful! Love, love, love his coloring and facial markings.

As others have said .... harness are best especially the 'easy walk no pull' and then once you get them fully trained and they walk without pulling you can change to a regular harness or a flat collar.

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Ok.
Luca is 15 weeks now and I swear he must be taking steroids and p90x'ing while I'm at work cause his muscle mass is growing like Jose Conseco. That being said, I'm starting to worry that having a leash on him may be not enough. Especially since he absolutely positively has to meet every person he sees on the street. Even if it means pulling me with all he's got in that direction. I keep having the the fear he's gonna snap this nylon leash on twine. He apparently doesn't mind choking himself to get to these people. Verbal sit commands work now and again but he always wants to go his way. Any tips on getting this ball of muscle to "heel" and

I just wanted to say hello brother from another mother. Dozer is 15 weeks too. They look like they could be twins with their Phantom of the Opera faces. What are you feeding him? He looks good.

20121219_085033.jpg

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I do not like the use of collars on animals specially on bulldogs. I think they do more harm than good. I have always used a harness on mine.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I like harnesses but with puppies growing fast I have went through 3 but she still fits into the 3rd one. I would buy big even if you have to adjust it to the smallest it will go because he will grow so much!

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Holy Christ! You ain't kidding. Same handsome face. The breeder had him on purina 1 lamb and rice but we started him on blue. Buffalo lamb and oatmeal bit his stomach has been very sensitive so we put him back on the purina. Will likely go back to blue buffalo once he gets older

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Replied on the page.. Ooops

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online