General Question Leash or harness???

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We use a decorative bacon pattern collar with Bacon's tags and hook him up to a harness. [MENTION=5712]Annie1991[/MENTION] be careful with leaving your bully in a harness all the time, there have been a few people on here that ran into skin issues from the harness rubbing against their skin all the time

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Okay - thanks much ! I think I'll just get it for when we go out. It will probably not be good to keep one on Lilly (corgi) either.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think harness's should only be used for Bullys. They have mesh harness's now that are so light they can hardly feel them but they are super strong. We had a Frenchie who liked to go after old folks when I would walk him and he was wearing a collar. He once lurched so hard and I pulled back on the leash that he passed out **bloop** right over on his side, off the curb and into the gutter from loss of air. He came back right away but it absolutely scared me out of my skin and I carried him the rest of the way back home. That was the last time I ever used a collar to walk any dog. Buster has the same harness he has had since he was 6 months and it's adjustable and he wears a black leather spiked collar because we have such a Pit Bull problem here in L.A. and they love to go after the English whenever they get a chance. That collar has actually prevented 2 dogs from biting down on him. People think we use it for looks but it is for his protection. He sure looks sharp in it thought in my humble opinion. :christmas6:

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
We use a Kong harness, too. We bought such a pretty collar for Winston when he was little, but as he grew he started to slip out of the collar. Bully necks are just so huge! We never go outside without being on his leash and harness, and we attached the ID and rabies tags to the harness itself.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
You know, I was told not to use a harness with a bully because they will drag you! Instead, we do VERY strict heeling and loose leash walking practice. Matilda still pulls sometimes - but not to the point of choking or anything like that. She'll just pull the leash until it's taut and then stops.

I definitely think a harness is better if you have no way of controlling the dog, but I agree with training being the best option. It does take a lot of time, though.

I've tried using a harness on Tilly before (her car seatbelt is a harness, sometimes I just attach it to the leash if we're about to get back in the car), and she doesn't like walking on it. I've been told it is also confusing to the dog sometimes, because they are pulled from their entire upper body, instead of a very clear direction (like on a collar). But again, this is assuming they're well trained and not pulling back. I think it just depends on the personality of your dog.

Also, something really cool I saw recently is a leash that is made out of a spring - like a bungee cord. You would definitely want it on a harness just for neck safety, but basically, the dog pulls, and the cord pulls them back - without extra effort on your part. Could be a great option as opposed to a slip collar! The more they pull. the quicker they come back to you!

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
What type of harness is better for an EB, the ones where the leash attaches to the front across the chest or the ones that attach across the back?

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
What type of harness is better for an EB, the ones where the leash attaches to the front across the chest or the ones that attach across the back?

We love and have no problems with the EzyDog Convert Harness. For us it seems to have the best fit for that stubborn bully shape! You an google it, or there are some harness posts around here somewhere with pictures! My iPad does not have any right now :(

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
We are using both, we are trying to get Ike to be used to either one.
Of course may not be the best thing, just what we are trying.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.