Help Needed! So Who's having the separation anxiety??

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I think I need my own "Human" trainer. Go ahead guys, give it to me straight- am I being ridiculous about leaving Bogey? I just can't leave him for more than an hour at a time! I left him this morning to run some errands and could not get back fast enough! This probably is not good for him, right?
i am fortunate to be able to be home with him all day, so he naps out of the crate, but occasionally heads in on his own, but the door stays open. I have no problems with him at night going there and closing the door.
Should I be crating him at different times of the day and leaving the house to get him used to being left alone? I think I have more separation anxiety than he does!
can pups get too dependent on their human companions?
set me straight, I can take it!!!:ashamed:
Thanks, Mary

L

Lucy-licious

I can't say much...we get baby sitters in if we are going to be out longer than 3 hrs :eek:
And Daddy takes Billy to work with him just so he doesnt have to say goodbye LOL

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I can't say anything either! I am lucky enough to stay home being a full time student and I don't leave Lola for very long and when I do the whole time im gone I wonder if she is ok!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I'm with you and the others, being a student I'm home most of the time! And when I have to run errands I usually wait till someone gets home or make sure I'm only gone an hour or so. I hate leaving them home alone, although I'm sure they don't mind too much since they just sleep cuddled up together! I think we all might have separation anxiety LOL!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
No advice here! I hate leaving him! Chanel our non bullie doesnt mind at all she actually gets her toys together and goes to her crate when Im getting ready! Brutus he will follow me and keep looking at me like Im comimng right Ma LOL

I think we are more upset than they are!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
^^^^I'm with them^^^^ I worry every single moment I am gone. My weekends revolve around Otis and I bring him to work with me a couple of days a week.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
You can buy a camera and setup in your house to watch him when you are not home. I am asking the webcam as my xmas gift!!! :D You can even get an app on your phone and watch him in there.

It's always hard to leave our babies... I have no social life but going to the dog park. If I could avoid coming to work I would probably do so but I have no option :(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It does do them good to get them used to being left alone for a little while, and I would say for now put him in his crate when you are gone, just to make sure he doesn't get into something that may harm him. Buddy is the only one we can leave out because now that he is older, he doesn't bother anything, the girls on the other hand, can not be trusted, so in their crates they go when we are not home.

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
[MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION] I am sooooooo guilty of this! Penelope is 8 1/2 months old now and rarely alone. Yesterday she was alone for 3 hours, the longest ever and there was much preparation on my part so I wouldn't be anxious about her. We took her to a bulldog meet up and she ran and played for 90 minutes. Then the little baby had a bubble bath, and when she was finally asleep, the family went out to watch The Hobbit in a theatre about 3 minutes from home. I'm quite sure by the state of her crate (our master suite) she was asleep the entire time we were gone. She has been home more than 6 months now and I have a hard time leaving her.

Hee hee - I seem to remember asking you if you were ready for the holidays as you weren't going to be able to leave home. You are so not alone!

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
That's why I have 3 dogs. Bulldog, Corgi and small mixed. I can leave her alone and not worry about her. Of course, if she were the only dog I would be the one having separation issues. . .

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber is home all day long with the cats and run of the front part of the house. My son checks on her and my husband takes her to the office several times a week (the judges just love Amber and would have her in court daily if they could) but mostly she is at home hanging out on the sofa. She is always in the window when we get home waiting on us. We open the door and the race is on; she is jumping around and happy to see us.

KT221

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Muffin (nickname: "pig", "my baked good")
I'm not one to talk either. I've found myself daydreaming about not having to work, just so I could stay home with Miss Muffin.

[MENTION=5404]dalmatina38[/MENTION] - It's so wonderful that Amber can go to work with your husband sometimes...and to the courthouse too! So cute!

I'm contemplating adopting a cat to keep Miss Muffin company during the day...still thinking though...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I hate leaving them and if they can't go with me , other than work... I am back in less than an hour if 'Daddy' is not home

M

mabel lou

Wow all of you sound so sweet about your bully babies. Now I absolutely do leave my girls all the time. I love them dearly but I keep them in their cages when I am gone. I don't want them to get into anything that they could destroy possibly harming them or even just giving them temptation. In the beginning I would hurry home because I was so excited to see Mabel and she just brings such a smile to my face that I wanted to see her. I still smile however I go about my business now always making sure they have played, ate, potty, loved on and that makes me feel that leaving is ok. Thelm Thelm just could care less if I am here cause she just a lazy girl anyways lol. But Mabel always knows that I am just as excited to see her when I come home as Thelm Thelm is in her own old lady way . Go have fun and know your baby will be excited to see you I am sure of it when you return.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
You all need help (says the guy who has two webcams on his Bacon so he can't see him anytime from anywhere) Bacon is alone quite a bit since we both work but all he does is sleep so it's not like he's missing us.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online