General Question New Bulldog ??

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Okay hopefully this is the right section of the forum. We just picked up our first bulldog yesterday. She is 7 weeks old. I'm wondering if we got her too young. She is really timid and unsure of her new environment. She seems to be afraid of everyone in the family except my wife. If i sit down on the couch with her she goes to the other end and sits there. Today when my wife left to pick up the kids I got on the floor and tried to let her approach me but she wouldnt and i held some treats in my hand but she backed away from me and growled a bit. Im wondering if I should be very concerned or if she just needs some time to adjust. My wife doesnt think its a big deal and she will come around.

-Scott

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Welcome and congratulations on your new baby. I have tagged a few of the others that I believe will be able to better answer some of your concerns. I don't have much experience with puppies except for our Amber and she was very socialized when we got her. The others should be along to help, good luck, you are in the right place, these folks are great and have years of experience with EBD's.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
7 weeks is a little too soon, at the earliest 8 weeks, I like to wait till 10 weeks. Just give her some time to adjust, keep it quiet around her, find a quiet place to put her bed so she can get plenty of sleep. Some people will put the crate next to their bed so at night when the pup starts whining they put their hand down by the crate so the pup feels them and that seems to help. If you have young kids limit their time with the pup at first until she gets a little older. Feed your pup 3 times a day and have plenty of water for her. We give ours access to water 24/7, do not restrict water even during potty training.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Welcome Scott...I do think 7 weeks is a tad bit young to be taken to their new homes. But..the main thing to focus on is making her feel safe and secure. Everything is new to her. She's a tiny baby and her world is now turned upside down. Just go slow with her, let her explore. I hope you are planning on using a crate. It gives them a feeling of security..den like really. Be gentle in your voice, movements and handling of her. In a few days, she will realize how lucky she is. Proceed with her crate training and overall puppy training..but do so in a relaxed and loving way. Treats are fine...but too many could upset her tummy.

Relax most of all..let her trust you...and congrats! Pictures..pictures..pictures..:D

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
It sounds fairly normal for her to be a bit timid at first. Remember she is adjusting to a new environment and new people. Also puppies may not know what treats are.

:cookie:

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Welcome! She is young! I got Lola at 6 weeks and she was a little shy at first but they do come around. I think its important for you to do all you can to build a relationship with her early so that she feels close to you like she does your wife. Is the breeder you got her from female? If so it may be that she didnt get much male interaction and that could be setting her back.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
All excellent advice. Tallulah came to live with me at 8 weeks. She was so timid. Poor little things - being taken away from littermates and mom really does turn their little world upside down. I moved her crate to my side of the bed at night and if Miss Tallulah whimpered I would drop my hand or lower my head to the opening in the blanket I had over the crate and make quiet soothing sounds to reassure her. I also bought online a snuggle puppy bulldog that had a heartbeat and she really like to snuggle up and sleep with it. I also read somewhere that getting down on all fours and quietly imitating her activities for the first few days was something that helped. So I would get on my hands and knees and as she sniffed around and begun to explore I would quietly parallel her activity a few feet away. When she came over to sniff me I would sniff her -all very slow and gentle. Don't know if it really makes a difference but sure had fun doing it and she seemed to come closer to me more often when I did. 7 weeks is a little early but it is what it is. I wish you all the best. And yes-pictures please:D

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Ooh, that is a wee bit young, but she'll adjust for sure. She's probably very tired, misses her litter mates and is just trying to figure out wtf. Random thing: when we got Lupe at 9 weeks, she was really sensitive to eveeeeeerything, but especially to cold. Took me a day to figure out that's why she was always curled up hiding her head. We kept a steady supply of towels warmed in the dryer and she loooooooved that.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Welcome to EBN and congratulations on your new baby!! You received a lot of great advice already but just wanted to add since she is so very young you might think about getting one of those stuffed animals with the heart beat so she doesn't feel so alone since she should still be with litter mates at this age. good luck!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
The age a puppy can be let go from it's mom depends on the state but I personally would like to see them 10 to 12 weeks old before they are seperated. That rarely happens though, 6 to 8 weeks is way more common. The poor thing is probably totally confused and afraid. Give her her crate, maybe with a blanket over it to keep it dark when she's not interacting with the family. Remember she's a little baby and needs lots of sleep most of all. If she cries give her something to cuddle and put a ticking clock near by. I've read that simulates the sound of a heartbeat for them. You can buy a stuffy with a battery operated heartbeat generator at a pet goods supply store.

Read all the good stuff here about what to feed your baby and start her off with a high quality, healthy food. the higher cost will save you money on vet bills in the long run.

Don't take her to pet supply stores or other public places until she's had ALL her shots. There are some nasty diseases out there.

Oh, make sure you have some canned pumpkin (not pie filling) on hand in case she develops the runs. If she's that scared, she may.

Good luck. She'll settle in within a few days. We want to know her name and see pictures please. this is my EB, Zamboni. He will be 6 montyhs on Christmas and weighed 42 pounds earlier this week. See what you have to look forward to?

zam14.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If a puppy comes from a home where the only socializing they have ever done is with their littermates it can take them a long time to adjust. The only thing they have ever known is the cage they were in with their littermates and (hopefully) their mom. I like to wait until they are at least 8 weeks old to be sure they have had plenty of time with all family members and especially our kids. This makes them very confident and secure when they leave, meet their new family, and they pretty much never miss us :cry: but that is exactly how we want them to be. Plenty of love and pets and long time cuddles (that is how we have broke even the shyest puppies in the past) and she will adjust just find. I recommend watching a movie with her on your lap, nice soft petting the whole time. :up: Watch out tho, you just may become her new favorite!

OP
ScottFree00

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
OK thanks for all the replies. Her name is Lucy. It seems its just me that she is slow to warm up to. She likes my 4 year old daughter fine enough. The breeder was two older women so that may be what thats about. She seems to be getting better adjusted to her new surroundings. I dont have a crate yet because I kinda broke the bank buying her. I will probably get one in the next week but for now she has a box with her favorite blanket in it. My biggest fear was her just ending up a scaredy-dog. We are trying to keep things quiet as we can with two kids in the house. My son is 2 and he's the noisiest. Lucky for us Lucy is fairly well paper trained but we;d like to get her going outside. THe breeder told us it was too cold for short potty trips anytime soon though. I'm open to suggestions. I want to be consistent in training.

6395_10152329315690576_367190901_n.jpg

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Welcome Scott.... she is a baby... a very young baby. treat her like a very young baby and she will soon be a wonderful baby bully for you. Congratulations and we really need pix. ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online