General Question New Bulldog ??

M

mabel lou

How pretty she is and I am sure time will make her feel very comfortable. You basically are strangers to her and although you mean well to her she has to see it and feel it that you are their only to love her so the feeding her and watering her and just sitting and or laying beside her letting her know you are not going to harm her will make her see that it is going to be ok. She is little so little people are more comforting to her so the next time your daughter has her maybe you could have your daughter sit next to you or you two both just gently together place your hand on her as your daugter takes her away leaving yours. Simple things like that are certainly worth a try. It would be the same way as if you took your daughter to someones house for day care and left her, it would be very upsetting to her and they would have to find what works for them going slow to not make her afraid. Good luck and god bless

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Welcome to "parenthood of bullies!" You will learn so much from this site! I too have a young pup (9 weeks) and feel like I am a fish out of water at times! But, I feel so confident with the advice given here! You are in good hands!!! As for your little one: 7 weeks IS young, but with lots of patience she will be ok. I am a former mommy to bullmastiffs ( last pup was 8 years ago) and he was 7 weeks when we took him home. He too was VERY timid; my husband could not walk in the room without the pup cowering and hiding. Same with any strangers or change in his surroundings. I kept visitors at complete bay for over 2 weeks. I made my husband only whisper around him, and made him wait until the puppy decided it was safe to sniff him out. Sure enough, he came around. I socialized him very slowly. good advice from Davidh about keeping her environment quiet, and absolutely keep the kids time with her limited and well supervised. She will grow confident with each day, but let her move at her pace. Any sign of fear or anxiety, remove her from the situation but don't make a big deal of it. This will all take time and patience but it will be so worth it in the long run. My very shy, timid and fearful pup grew up to be a great dog because we took everything very slow! Good luck, and use the wealth of experience younhave here at your fingertips! Despite my long history with dogs, this is my first bulldog and I have almost a question a day!! Keep us posted and WE NEED PICS!!!!!!:pray:

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
She is so cute but just to make sure post as many pictures as you can!:tongue:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Oops! After I posted I saw your pics! She is beautiful! Just 2. Remarks about your last post. As long as the time outside is short and sweet, I see no reason to not start her going potty outside! As long as she is warm when she comes in!! Also, the crate will be a much needed refuge/ den for her as well as you, especially when she starts her nipping at anything in her path! Do you have a Home Goods store near you? I got my crate there for $40- it's great! Or, maybe check online for some deals!! Best investment you will ever make! The longer you wait to get her in one, the harder it will be! Good luck!

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Zeus was barely 7 weeks when I brought him home. He had been very well socialized with children and men and women. He loved everyone. I have a fence yard and started him to go outside to potty immediately. He learned to go in and out the doggie door quickly and was house trained early. A crate is a must. I bought a big one with a divider and this worked great. He still loves his crate and sleeps in it for naps with the door open and at night I close the door. Be patient and your baby will warm up to all of you very soon. Welcome to EBN!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you rec'd some great advice.... welcome to you and Lucy --- she is precious

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It sounds as if she hasn't had too much male human contact which would explain her being timid around you. Also, I agree that she is a little young too. I can't add much more to what has already been said - lots of petting, human contact, ...and I do like the idea of sitting quietly watching TV and just stroking her.

The only thing I might add is that take something that you have worn, something your wife has worn and something your kids have worn ... unwashed ... and make that her bedding for the first week or so. That way she will get used to the smell of you all and associate it with comfort and snuggliness!!!

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
We got our EBD home at 7 weeks and one day. Our breeder had them all in a wash tub right in their living room and she played with them a lot. Our little guy hasn't been scared of noises, people, or new environments at all so far. He didn't even cry at night the first night unless he was alone. I would say within a week she will be running the show and acting like she owns the place. She just needs to get used to you all. I would do as suggested above, go slow and gentle and she will be licking your face and sleeping on your head in no time.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am certain she can handle housebreaking in the great outdoors. When they are little, they go right away. It's eat or play and outside. Go potty..sleep, repeat. Just never ever leave her out alone. And honestly, if you start paper training, it's another process in a couple monts to retrain her.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hello and welcome. Lucy is a real sweet looking girl. I have two bullies that I got when they were 8 weeks old and each came from a different breeder. Seven weeks is a bit young to head out to the big world. My two are quite different.

When I first got Wilson I noticed pretty much from the beginning that he was a bit anti social. He wanted to be near you but did not want to be touched or held. If you touched him he'd get up and leave. I gotta say I was a bit heartbroken over this. He always wanted to near but just didn't want to be petted until it was on his terms. He absolutely to this day hates to be held. He'll tolerate it but only if I insist which I do all the time. He'll be two soon and over the last 2 months he's finally become quite a bit more lovable. He still doesn't like to be held but he loves to be scratched and played with. I'm pretty sure Wilson wasn't properly socialized with humans right from the get go. He's very healthy though and I'm thankful for that.

Now Emma, she's my shy one. She sounds more like Lucy in the beginnig. She was the shy one of her litter too but had LOTS of cuddle time and lots of attention, as did her littermates. I know the breeder I got her from too, Wilson I did not. Emma would do a nervous pee every time she met someone and she would cower down when she first met them. After that she's turn over to be petted. She was also a snuggle bun and loved to be held. She's still pretty good about that and loves to sleep on my pillow at the top of my head at night. She's still a "scardity cat" and probably also will be, but on the flip side, she's the one that's more protective of the house.

Give Lucy lots of love. Shy may always be shy but then she may grow out of it. Dogs are just like people though, some are more outgoing and some are more shy.

Congrats on your first bully and I'm so glad you found us. :)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
:smileywelcome: to EBN, I agree 7 weeks is a bit early, we got our bully at 8 weeks but he was brought up in a house with kids so he wasn't timid AT ALL, just give her time. One thing we did with ours was wrapped an old clock that ticked in a tshirt of mine so that he got the heartbeat sensation along with something that smelled like me.

OP
ScottFree00

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Thanks for all of the advice. Its amazing how much she has come around in just the last 24 hours. She is jumping around and playing and much more social. We got her a crate today so we are on track! She seems to be nervous about going outside. When I took her out she just sat beside me and looked at me the whole time. I thought she would be curious and sniff around a little at least....but that didnt happen. I guess I will just keep being persistent. Im sure she will come around.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Glad to hear she is making herself at home so quickly! You are doing all the right things to make her feel secure. Your patience is really paying off. I remember the first time I took my little puppy outside. Miss Tallulah shook like a little leaf the first time, then a little less the next time and finally she got curious and started sniffing around. I took little bits of treats the size of my baby fingernail and gave them to her at intervals ( jackpot treating) to associate something good with being outside. When she would finally potty I would say "go potty " and then when she was done I would give her a tiny treat and say "good potty". Now when we go out if I say go potty she squats right away and has a pee or a poop. But only at home. Enjoy! They grow so quickly. I would wake up in the morning and swear my fur baby had grown 2 inches overnight :yes:

OP
ScottFree00

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Ok so a little update. Lucy will be 8 weeks Wednesday. She's totally out of her shell now. I have a small pen for her at night and i block her off in a hallway that had linoleum when we're at work. She loves her crate and sleeps in it no problem. She uses pads at night and has some accidents on the floor when we are gone but she goes potty on command when we take her out. We're getting that routine down. She knows the commands sit, potty, and come. Also listens when i say no but not so much to the other members of the family. I think she's doing great for her age

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.