Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Bulldog ??

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Bulldog ??

I am certain she can handle housebreaking in the great outdoors. When they are little, they go right away. It's eat or play and outside. Go potty..sleep, repeat. Just never ever leave her out alone. And honestly, if you start paper training, it's another process in a couple monts to retrain her.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Hello and welcome. Lucy is a real sweet looking girl. I have two bullies that I got when they were 8 weeks old and each came from a different breeder. Seven weeks is a bit young to head out to the big world. My two are quite different.

When I first got Wilson I noticed pretty much from the beginning that he was a bit anti social. He wanted to be near you but did not want to be touched or held. If you touched him he'd get up and leave. I gotta say I was a bit heartbroken over this. He always wanted to near but just didn't want to be petted until it was on his terms. He absolutely to this day hates to be held. He'll tolerate it but only if I insist which I do all the time. He'll be two soon and over the last 2 months he's finally become quite a bit more lovable. He still doesn't like to be held but he loves to be scratched and played with. I'm pretty sure Wilson wasn't properly socialized with humans right from the get go. He's very healthy though and I'm thankful for that.

Now Emma, she's my shy one. She sounds more like Lucy in the beginnig. She was the shy one of her litter too but had LOTS of cuddle time and lots of attention, as did her littermates. I know the breeder I got her from too, Wilson I did not. Emma would do a nervous pee every time she met someone and she would cower down when she first met them. After that she's turn over to be petted. She was also a snuggle bun and loved to be held. She's still pretty good about that and loves to sleep on my pillow at the top of my head at night. She's still a "scardity cat" and probably also will be, but on the flip side, she's the one that's more protective of the house.

Give Lucy lots of love. Shy may always be shy but then she may grow out of it. Dogs are just like people though, some are more outgoing and some are more shy.

Congrats on your first bully and I'm so glad you found us.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

to EBN, I agree 7 weeks is a bit early, we got our bully at 8 weeks but he was brought up in a house with kids so he wasn't timid AT ALL, just give her time. One thing we did with ours was wrapped an old clock that ticked in a tshirt of mine so that he got the heartbeat sensation along with something that smelled like me.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all of the advice. Its amazing how much she has come around in just the last 24 hours. She is jumping around and playing and much more social. We got her a crate today so we are on track! She seems to be nervous about going outside. When I took her out she just sat beside me and looked at me the whole time. I thought she would be curious and sniff around a little at least....but that didnt happen. I guess I will just keep being persistent. Im sure she will come around.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear she is making herself at home so quickly! You are doing all the right things to make her feel secure. Your patience is really paying off. I remember the first time I took my little puppy outside. Miss Tallulah shook like a little leaf the first time, then a little less the next time and finally she got curious and started sniffing around. I took little bits of treats the size of my baby fingernail and gave them to her at intervals ( jackpot treating) to associate something good with being outside. When she would finally potty I would say "go potty " and then when she was done I would give her a tiny treat and say "good potty". Now when we go out if I say go potty she squats right away and has a pee or a poop. But only at home. Enjoy! They grow so quickly. I would wake up in the morning and swear my fur baby had grown 2 inches overnight

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Ok so a little update. Lucy will be 8 weeks Wednesday. She's totally out of her shell now. I have a small pen for her at night and i block her off in a hallway that had linoleum when we're at work. She loves her crate and sleeps in it no problem. She uses pads at night and has some accidents on the floor when we are gone but she goes potty on command when we take her out. We're getting that routine down. She knows the commands sit, potty, and come. Also listens when i say no but not so much to the other members of the family. I think she's doing great for her age

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

This is her setup. I want her to have a little room while we are gone but i wonder if having too much space is why she has some accidents

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -uploadfromtaptalk1355756689458-jpg  

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

First of all you are doing an amazing job! Only 8 weeks old and you have accomplished so much! Looking at the pen I would say that is why if she has to go she will-because she can get far enough away from her crate. But it is a bit of a trade off. If you are gone for a long time and she is in her crate she might have an accident. I kept Miss T in her crate with a divider so she only had enough room to turn around , and moved the divider as she grew. But I never left her for more than 2 hours and she always pottied outside before I put her in her crate. Puppies don't really understand the difference between inside and outside at such a young age I don't think. When she was about 12 weeks old I let her have what you have, a crate in a pen area. She had a few accidents but they were my fault- I left her a bit too long or she had diarrhea. Their little bodies can only hold it for so long when they are that young. But I could tell she wasn't happy about it and I would put her in another room after taking her outside and quietly clean up and not make it an issue. The great thing is as they get older and can hold more and they have a routine this doesn't happen. It has been 6 months since Miss T had an "accident' in the house. But I always accepted the responsibility if there was an accident and never scolded her or made it an issue. Bully puppies are just so adorable and potty training is a process. Make sure you use an enzyme cleaner on the potty area though or they will always go back to the same area to potty cause it smells just right.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads