General Question The Forbidden Tug-O-War

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Quick question about puppyhood! I know you should not play tug o war with pups as it can propel aggression later on. However, when you think about the litter, each of them tugged on each other, and when a toy was introduced, they grew up 'tugging" at things. So, I have noticed that my pup has the attention span of a fly with most of his toys. He will bite a stuffed animal, then go onto to something else, usually me! But, if I keep putting the stuffie in his mouth, and GENTLY tug on it, he will respond and play like this for sometime. As soon as he starts the violent head shaking and growling, I stop and game is over. I never get into a serious tug o war with him, just gentle tugging to keep him busy. You think this is ok? Seems pretty natural for them to want to tug at things. I have bells hanging on my door with the hope of teaching him to hit them to go out, but he thinks they are just the BEST thing to tug at all by himself and it keeps him busy for at least 20 minutes when he finds them.
What do you think??

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I think you have the right idea in playing the fun tug with him and when he gets over stimulated to end the game ... I would add a simple command like "enough" so he understands that his behavior is what ended the game. At least that's how I do it in my home, I allow my dogs to play tug, I just monitor the play and when things get too rough I say "enough" and they know to stop.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber is a rough houser and always has been since we brought her home. She is tough and we play with her tough but she learned the command "stop" so when she is told to stop she does. She will still see if you are willing to play but unless you initiate more playing she is content to go find something else to do, usually looks for the cat. We work within the dynamics of the family and try to find a balance between play and acceptable behavior. Good luck.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I was told by a trainer, tug of war is ok to play as long as you always win. It's the whole pack leader dominance that you want to control. I always tell my kids don't start tug of war if your not going to finish.. meaning dont just play then let go and be done. You need to end it when you have the rope or toy.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I havent played tug a war with Lola yet but when she is chewing things she will tug on them herself.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have said... tug is fine as long as you "win" or determine when it is time to stop. Teach Bogie leave it and drop it so when you use those commands he knows time is up.

Banks tends to play very rough, always has, we taught her these two commands early on and whenever we say those -- she will stop what ever she was doing -- and tug is her ALL TIME favorite game

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
We trained Liz to go out with the bells on the door knob. We didn't make a big deal out of them, just rang them every time we let her out to do her business. When Amy came she watched Liz and picked up the bell thing. We've always played tug of war with Liz. Never Amy. Amy is the aggressive one. Grrrrr!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I play tug with ours and stop it if they get too excited, and I have never had a problem.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I played tug with Bacon from day 1 it's all a matter of keeping it under control like everyone else said.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.