Other Never Underestimate the Power of Tweaties

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I thought I'd share this, as it was pretty interesting! As you all know, Tilly is going through QUITE intense training. We use LOTS of treats when we learn new things to keep her motivated.

This past weekend I hungout at the Bf's family's home, and they have a 1 yr old Great Dane who is a nightmare! He's the size of a pony and JUMPS on guests when they come over!

A while ago, I was talking to the dad about the pup's behavior and asked him what he did, etc. He mentioned that they never used treats in his house.

I brought Tilly this time, and of course, had treaties in hand. I brought them out to the pony and within about 15 minutes, he learned how to sit, on command, every time, AND using the hand signals I taught Matilda with. He also had an issue with trying to snatch the treat out of my hand. I did the same thing I did with Tilly - say NO, sternly, and refuse to let him have his prize until he lets me place it on his tongue.

When guests came over (they had a party), the Great Dane was sitting politely and waiting for the TWEATIE I had in hand.

BOOM.

(and I looked pretty dang cool in front of my Bf's family!)

When in doubt with bad behavior, get some treaties!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Wonderful story.

And shame on those folks who aren't letting The Pony live up to his full potential.....terrible. It's these dogs that end up in shelters.....

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
lol; Great Danes are like having ponies in the house, and some of the ones I rescued would even take things off the top of the refrigerator. Treats are an absolute must, once you have their attention they learn so fast. A couple of times with a new command and they have it down with a quickness. I believe Amber learned her commands fast because she watched our oldest Dane in action.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
EXCELLENT work.... great story of food motivation :clap2:

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
The bf's family must love you! Even if it didn't work out, they will think about you everytime they remember how poorly behaved he used to be

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
The bf's family must love you! Even if it didn't work out, they will think about you everytime they remember how poorly behaved he used to be

Sounds meaner than I meant it...I just man that they will ALWAYS be thankful to you no matter what

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.