Other Lola and other dogs

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Yesterday I took Lola to her vets office for a picture with Santa, to say the least it was a big bust! The whole waiting room was full of people and their dogs. Lola has never been around a big group of people Or any other dog besides my aunts dog. A lady had a young boxer under a year but not a baby and she bend over to pet Lola and her boxer went crazy and went for Lola and bit her! Lola in turn attacked back, she was fine once they were in total different area's of the room. Then the breeder I got Lola from called and said she had Santa coming to her house to take pictures with her dogs and if I wanted pictures of Lola then bring her over. I took Lola over there thinking things would be different and they weren't! She only got along with her male dog. Her female who is Lola's sister didnt like her at all and they would attack eat other so we put them both on a leash and let them just close enough to smell. They would do fine that far apart and Lola's sister would act like she wanted to play and we would let them a little closer and Lola would get mad and start to bark then bite. My girls were petting the Lola's sister and Lola got very upset and tried running towards the kids put the leash caught her and she just barked and barked, she did the same when I tried petting her too. What the heck is going on besides Lola being a PITA!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I should add she is very friendly with people and loves everyone! She will lick you half to death so I had no idea she wouldnt like other dogs!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
sounds like she needs more socialization, maybe signing up for a training class where she can interact with other dogs in a controlled situation so she can gain the confidence to be around other dogs.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
They have puppy classes at her vet and she needs to go but im afraid to take her now! The training classes start the middle of January but she needs socialization I think more than that!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Puppy class is a good start. If you've never attended one yourself, then I highly recommend you do. Is Lola your first doggy? I know when my bf and I started classes with Stiggy when we first got him, we learned tremendously on what to look for, how to act, and how not to act.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Look at it from Lola's point of view. She met a strange dog and it bit her. Then going to the breeders home, although she grew up there she is living in the 'now'. I do think she probably has a fear to overcome now. I agree that training classes would be very good, not just for her but for both of you. She will understand and learn you are her leader -- and protector.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Lola isn't a PITA. She's a normal pup. Her humans THRUST her into a strange situation which, no doubt, overwhelmed her and she reacted. She simply REACTED. My own pups would barely manage through the carnage described here. It takes a very well balanced dog with LOTS of training and or exposure to stress and or exposure to different and strange situations -- along with very strong human leadership ---- to manage effortlessly through all of this.

I love Lisa's suggestion; think through the situation through your pup's eyes. When Bea gets over-stimulated, she will react to other dogs by being snippy. When Bo gets over stimulated he likes to hump the humans who are giving him all the attention that's popping his brain cells. "No Touch. No Talk. No Eye Contact." would have saved the day here....difficult in that situation I'm sure though..

...and think about all the nervous energy in the room! All those dogs who probably RARELY get that kind of exposure and their anxious owners, waiting for a chance with Santa. Jesus.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Ya I think it was a lot to deal with for her! She has never been around other dogs besides my aunts lab Bella and she is very submissive so Lola and her get along great but I think females have a hard time together sometimes. Im going to take her to the puppy socialization on saturday and see how that goes but Im nervous whats going to happen now. I dont know if taking her is going to scare her worse or if its the right thing to do? I grew up with pugs but they are different than bullies! I am still in shock because she is so good with my girls and NEVER is rough with them or me so I thought she would just go with the flow and handle it alright. She was really excited though and jumping all over barking trying to play with the other dogs when we first got there and they had a hard time getting her picture because she was so wound up. SO what you guys think should I take her to socialization classes or wait for the training to start?

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I would take her to training first, it's a controlled environment with a trainer to help you during the process. We did this with Bacon one he was a puppy and it's paid off 10 fold now that he is older.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Ok i will look into that then thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with the others.... socialization in a controlled environment and since you mention being 'scared' to take her to class -- you need it as much as she does. She will reacted to your nervousness making it appear that she is being aggressive to the other dog because she is acting off of your nerves. make sense?

M

mabel lou

Well she sounds adorable lol. I agree I mean think of it like your first time being around a dog and bam your bit and then you go to someone elses house omg more dogs so I would wonder wow whats up am I going to be bit again??? All she has seen this far is dog who want to fight other than your aunts dog which you said was submissive to her. So I would be kind of freaked out if I were a dog. Hope all turns out well for Lola and she learns to enjoy being around others.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think she really needs to be around other dogs! She did well with my breeders male dog but not her female. I also think some of the problem is that she gets so excited and just spazes out! My breeder told me she was very high strung and she hadnt seen that before and that she was skinny. She didnt even get along with her sibling! I hope things get better Im a little set back now. They have professional santa pictures on the 22nd and I really want to take her but Im not sure if I should.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
I think everyone hit on it with socialization. Lola has been pretty isolated as a puppy, controlled socialization will probably be great for you both. Gunny is an absolute idiot at home but since he was a puppy he has been out and about, he is the local golf course's mascot. He meanders in a few days a week. Meets and greets then lays down in the middle of the bar and naps. Now, if those same people arrived at the house? Pure mayhem. That is our fault for not working with him at home like we did in public with our expectation of his behaviour.

Don't stress, take him to puppy class and go do your professional pictures I am sure she will be fine.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.