Help Needed! My eyes are bugging out of my head!!s Help!!!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Our little pups continue to challenge us to see what the rules are. Every thing you write I have been through with Miss Tallulah at some point. Some days I worried my fur baby would become a monster if i did the wrong things. She turns 1 on Friday and is mellowing right out, not that she was ever really bad or aggressive. I would always imagine the worst, that she would turn out mean or aggressive because I missed a cue or did something wrong in her training. When Miss T was 4 months old I enrolled her in Puppy Manners 1 and then Puppy Manners 2 when she passed PM1. I was taught to manage, distract and reward. A lot of the domination stuff doesn' t seem to work with Bullies because they were a fighting breed and will never give up, so rolls stares etc to show dominance often will not work as it does with other breeds. Cesar Millan actually just said that today about Bulies on DW. So if she growled I would turn my back or leave the room for a few minutes and she would be bewildered. If she was getting aggressive or mouthy/bitey I would put her in her pen to chill out and then let her out after she was relaxed. I would also walk by the pen if she was relaxed and give her a treat to rewards her for behaviour I wanted. My trainer encouraged me not stare her down or shout maybe because she is a Bully - again the fighting breed thing. By distracting and managing unwanted behaviour and rewarding good behaviour I was taught to shape the things you want and the distract/ manage allowed me time to regroup, let go of the frustration we all feel sometimes and restore my inner balance. If any of this I learned makes sense for you please know I am happy to be able to share what helped me get through the puppy tests. I know one thing for sure and that is your heart is in the right place and you love Remi and want to do what is right for him to be a loving gentle Bully.

Thanks so much for sharing your story. Being a perfectionist sucks, doesn't it?? We all just want to do the right thing and it makes us a little batty. All so we can say we're good bully moms :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Can you possibley tire his little butt out, a tired dog is a good dog. He sounds high energy puppy stage, just before the hormones set in.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have no idea what to tell you because I have a real PITA on my hands so I just wanted to say good luck and let me know what works so I can try it!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Can you possibley tire his little butt out, a tired dog is a good dog. He sounds high energy puppy stage, just before the hormones set in.

We actually tried at one point to take him on 3 walks in one day, for about a week, 2 in the late afternoon/evening. Getting more and more tired seems to make him act even more crazyyyyy. Isn't that nuts??

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
We actually tried at one point to take him on 3 walks in one day, for about a week, 2 in the late afternoon/evening. Getting more and more tired seems to make him act even more crazyyyyy. Isn't that nuts??

Well maybe not so nuts. My kids act much worse when they are worn out so that does make sense. Lol dang kids!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.