Thread: That's a crate question!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: That's a crate question!

Dogs that soil in the house really do not WANT to do that. I believe that whole heartedly. They can feel the negative energy of a person cleaning up piss for the thousandth time. LOL ( Hey, the neighbors might be able to feel THAT energy! LOL) Dogs are instinctual and it's in their DNA (since living with humans for so many thousands of years) to want to please us.

I had a little rescue once that would not NOT piss in the house. It was maddening. The best I ever got with her was potty pads. She came from rescue and the folks that ultimately dropped her off there, clearly did not potty train her. And while it WAS maddening, it just wasn't her fault. So I came to accept the idea that potty pads were at least acceptable and once she learned to actually accurately HIT the pads, well, that was a hippity hop happy damn day, Lemme tell ya.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I'm glad that things are going well!! And you've started off the right way by making sure they associate the crate with nice things like treats etc!!

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Dogs that soil in the house really do not WANT to do that. I believe that whole heartedly. They can feel the negative energy of a person cleaning up piss for the thousandth time. LOL ( Hey, the neighbors might be able to feel THAT energy! LOL) Dogs are instinctual and it's in their DNA (since living with humans for so many thousands of years) to want to please us.

I had a little rescue once that would not NOT piss in the house. It was maddening. The best I ever got with her was potty pads. She came from rescue and the folks that ultimately dropped her off there, clearly did not potty train her. And while it WAS maddening, it just wasn't her fault. So I came to accept the idea that potty pads were at least acceptable and once she learned to actually accurately HIT the pads, well, that was a hippity hop happy damn day, Lemme tell ya.
    LOL!!!!!!!!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I Just came across a book that could be usefull...
    How to Housebrak your dog in seven days by Shirlee Kalstone

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

As someone that lives in a condo... oh the joy of training them to ride the elevator.

We actually got one of those little play pen type attachments that made the crate larger. This kept the crate for sleeping, the pads for bath room. Eventually he learned to just go in that one spot (all the while we kept taking him outside as well and encouraging regular bathroom visits). Eventually the paper spot in the condo disappeared and he learned that the bathroom was outside only.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by malaviKat View Post
    As someone that lives in a condo... oh the joy of training them to ride the elevator.

We actually got one of those little play pen type attachments that made the crate larger. This kept the crate for sleeping, the pads for bath room. Eventually he learned to just go in that one spot (all the while we kept taking him outside as well and encouraging regular bathroom visits). Eventually the paper spot in the condo disappeared and he learned that the bathroom was outside only.
    Patience and time, right?!

I'm always amazed by the multitude of housebreaking posts. (I don't like that term) If you Google it, it would seem that the nation is gripped -- no, the WORLD -- is gripped by Dog Pee Puddling in the house/casa/tent/abode. Incredible amount of time and money is spent on house training a dog. It is those first few weeks that are crucial -- I think -- and time spent really paying attention to a strict schedule pays off in a life time of hassle free dog bathroom-ing.

Bea has peed indoors exactly twice in her life --- after about 12 weeks old. The first time was at a brand-new girlfriend's house (that is TRULY the way to impress a date!) and the most recent incident was LAST WEEK! She pottied in the doorway to my bedroom. When I reviewed the past seven hours in my head, I saw that I had not taken her out since early morning. TOTALLY MY FAULT. A girl can only hold her cast iron bladder (Bea's special gift) for so long right? hahahahahaha Poor Bea. I know she must have felt desperate to do that..... *sad face*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads