Help Needed! 3 year old bulldog and new puppy problems

Justinss

Mar 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey
Some info first, Petey is a 3 year old English Bulldog and the new member of the family is a 9 week old French Bulldog ( still to be named, Thinking "Gus". Granted, we just got Gus yesterday so he is still new to Petey but there are some issues already. We introduced Gus to Petey at a neutral location. Let Petey sniff Gus first and do his thing. As soon as we got them to the house, Petey would not leave Gus alone. We can't put the puppy down without Petey harassing him. He follows Gus around and is constantly licking his neck to the point where he's soaked. He attempts to mount Gus but with a quick "NO" he will stop. My question is, would Neutering Petey stop this behavior or should we wait it out a bit longer to see if he stops? Any help will be appreciated.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Nuetering will not change him quickly enough for this. The hormones have to get out of his system for the effects of neutering to be noticeable. It doesn't sound like he's trying to hurt the pup but maybe care for it. I'd watch it for awhile before taking any drastic actions.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Puppies are actually pretty sturdy. I'd leash Petey, put Frenchie down and let Petey sniff and lick and hopefully play. If Frenchie yelps, Petey will stop what he's doing. I have never had an adult Bulldog hurt a puppy.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
sounds like a good time for a refresher course of learning the rules, boundaries and limitations of the home ... he sounds like he listens when you tell him no so that is an excellent first step ... so now just set the clear boundaries for him with the new puppy and enforce them, once he understands what is expected of him with the new puppy he will settle into a routine.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Wish I could help you, I'm sure others can offer more suggestions but wanted to say :welcome3: and best of luck to you.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Puppies are actually pretty sturdy. I'd leash Petey, put Frenchie down and let Petey sniff and lick and hopefully play. If Frenchie yelps, Petey will stop what he's doing. I have never had an adult Bulldog hurt a puppy.

This is excellent advice .... I too have never had an adult dog hurt a puppy. If anything it's the other way round until the puppy learns when to stop!!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
When I brought Amber home she had to deal with two large cats and an older Great Dane. They were all very interested in Amber and while I was home I let them all just learn to adapt to Amber which meant lots of sniffing, many growls, swats, licking and staring contests. Eventually, everyone learned to get along on their terms. While I was away, Amber was in a large crate/cage with an enclosed top so everyone could still look and see her but couldn't get to her,they were able to still interact without really physical contact. After about two weeks everyone was getting along. The speed at which Amber grew helped too because within weeks she was bigger than the cats and could stand her own grounds rather well. Our oldest bully will adapt to the new puppy, give it time and just watch the interaction carefully. Good luck.

OP
Justinss

Justinss

Mar 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey
We went to the local pet store to check out their puppy training class. We got to talk to the trainer for awhile and explained the problem we are having. The trainer had some extra time before her next class and asked us to bring them so she can see what's going on. She seemed to think that Petey is just overly excited and what he's doing is typical to what a father would do with his own puppy. She taught us a couple things to keep Petey from bum rushing him every time we set the puppy down. We ask Petey to "sit" and "stay" then attempt to set the puppy down. If Petey doesn't stay we pick the puppy up. His reward if he stayed was to sniff the puppy's behind. We repeated this until he finally learned and now they seem to be getting along a little better. Still have some work to do.

2rwnel2.jpg

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
so very cute. Love Frenchies. I know Petey isn't fixed but you will need to remember that "humping" is also an Alpha thing. So make sure they both know you are Alpha. I don't think he will hurt Gus...He is just excited you brought home a playmate.

OP
Justinss

Justinss

Mar 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey
I was against getting him neutered until the first day we brought the puppy home. It seemed like a dominance issue at first but now it's more of him being excited and trying to play with the puppy. Petey is very strong and the puppy being so small Petey can be a little rough at times. Still on the fence about getting Petey neutered.

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
Petey just loves his new baby! I'll bet they will be inseparable very soon. Does the puppy try to get away from Petey, or does he freeze? Love the pic by the way!!

Sent via Tapatalk on my S3

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I just want to say how handsome they both are. :2thumbs:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We went to the local pet store to check out their puppy training class. We got to talk to the trainer for awhile and explained the problem we are having. The trainer had some extra time before her next class and asked us to bring them so she can see what's going on. She seemed to think that Petey is just overly excited and what he's doing is typical to what a father would do with his own puppy. She taught us a couple things to keep Petey from bum rushing him every time we set the puppy down. We ask Petey to "sit" and "stay" then attempt to set the puppy down. If Petey doesn't stay we pick the puppy up. His reward if he stayed was to sniff the puppy's behind. We repeated this until he finally learned and now they seem to be getting along a little better. Still have some work to do.

2rwnel2.jpg

Oh MY ........... be still my beating heart ...... I'm in :heart:!!! Look at those adorable little faces, but I can't get over those EARS!!! I want a frenchie so bad but the hubby doesn't like them!!! :cry:

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Wow what sweet dogs !!! Just wanted to support what has been said. Lots of good information. Normally dogs will not harm a puppy and will put up with a lot, but you are doing the right thing by keeping an eye on Petey just in case. Soon they will be best buds.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online