Help Needed! Matilda needs some patience!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda is 100% potty trained when we're at other people's homes, public areas, etc. but at home, she is just so impatient!

We have a Pet Loo on the balcony, and if I leave the balcony door open, she'll take herself out no problem. However, if she has to go, she'll walk around the corner up until she sees that the balcony door is closed. Then she'll pee there! She won't even bother walking up to the door and scratching/barking making some kind of noise to alert me that she needs out! She literally just decides that the door is closed, so there is no point in making the huge trek (3 ft) over there, so she might as well pee right where she is.

What can I do so that she understands that she needs to WAIT until we open the door to potty outside?

She is crate-trained and not allowed alone in the house yet (so it hasn't been a huge issue), and never pees in her crate, so I KNOW she can hold it. She just doesn't feel like it when it comes to my rug. :angry:

And it never happens at anyone else's homes! She waits patiently by the door until we let her out then!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I don't really have an answer, but I'm thinking she doesn't differentiate between the outside potty place and inside " looking at the outside potty place". Maybe instead of letting her wander out on her own to use it...you should take her out each time..make a big deal out of her success and watch her like a hawk until she catches on.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I don't really have an answer, but I'm thinking she doesn't differentiate between the outside potty place and inside " looking at the outside potty place". Maybe instead of letting her wander out on her own to use it...you should take her out each time..make a big deal out of her success and watch her like a hawk until she catches on.

Well she always gets on the potty patch! She never misses or goes on the balcony... So she definitely gets that it's the correct spot.. I will try this. Back to square 1. Thank you!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well she always gets on the potty patch! She never misses or goes on the balcony... So she definitely gets that it's the correct spot.. I will try this. Back to square 1. Thank you!

I'm not sure how old she is..but it is very common for them to slide backwards at about 6 months or so. Jake was the easiest pup ever to housebreak and at that age..he actually pooped in the house..same spot TWICE!! I stepped right back to full on puppy training and it worked. I hope she is just testing you too! Good Luck!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I'm not sure how old she is..but it is very common for them to slide backwards at about 6 months or so. Jake was the easiest pup ever to housebreak and at that age..he actually pooped in the house..same spot TWICE!! I stepped right back to full on puppy training and it worked. I hope she is just testing you too! Good Luck!

Ooh... She's almost 6 months old.. thanks for the tip! ARGH! Just when you think things are going so well... hahaha

M

mabel lou

My Mabel just did that two days ago and floored me because she never does this ever. But I showed her and said no potty in the house and then it made sense that she actually has no idea of how to let me know because I have never taught her how to let me know. If I am busy doing something I just automatically have like a timer in my head to know that they should be taken out so they have been trained to go when I say lets go but on this day I was busy with something and she peed on the floor and kept on going. I stepped in it and went and got Mabel and showed her and said no potty. I cleaned it up but it just made me realize that I need to teach my girls how to speak when they need to go or ring a bell to alert me or something. So maybe my training needs to change somewhat in the area of potty training. It is so funny how we teach them so many things and then when they have accidents we realize that wow they are also teaching us some things lol. Good luck and I hope it works out for you

Mickey3696

Sep 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
I have been sick with Pneumonia and hubby has been looking after Layla, so he came to me the other day and asked me if after I got to feeling better if I would teach Layla to ring a bell or something cause she will go to the door wait a few min and if you don't open the door she will go right there. She knows she has to go out but its like she can't hold it any longer.Good luck!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have been sick with Pneumonia and hubby has been looking after Layla, so he came to me the other day and asked me if after I got to feeling better if I would teach Layla to ring a bell or something cause she will go to the door wait a few min and if you don't open the door she will go right there. She knows she has to go out but its like she can't hold it any longer.Good luck!!

Ooooo..I sure hope you feel better! It's all truly training....US!!! You All Know that right?? Jake would just stand with his nose actually touching the door. He STILL does this today! First trip out in the morning..he heads for the door and I find him standing still as can be..with his nose firmly planted on the door!

Mickey3696

Sep 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
Thanks Im starting to feel better, they said it may take a month to fully recover so I get to take it easy for a while. It's not like I do much anyways as Im a stay at home mom to two grown kids that done moved out and have their own life. lol

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

Becky is right. Dogs will not purposefully soil in their den. Matilda thinks she's doing it right. I think it's the human that needs the patience here....LOL She's just a pup....it's your job to make it crystal clear for her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] has you covered.... good luck and keep us posted.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.