Help Needed! Is this an issue?

FaddieMaddie

Oct 11, 2012
Dubuque, Iowa, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Madison
We got Maddie from a home where she did not get along with the owner's 2 rotts, she did get along with the other EBs in the home. She was then adopted into a home where again she did not get along with the dogs and then taken back in with the original owners where we got her. We took her 2xs to the in laws who have a few month old toy poodle. Maddie had no interest in the dog, totally unfazed by another dog in the room, but when the dog wanted to play with Maddie, Maddie snapped at her and we did not let it go any further than that. So the question is with Maddie being 2 yrs old and not even liking trips in the car, do we need to worry about socializing her and her problems with other dogs. We plan on her being the only pet in our home.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I don't know the answer to this one but I am glad she found a home where she can just be happy with no other pups. ;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Perhaps joining a training class (tell the trainer about her behavior issues first) will give you a chance to bond, teach, as well as socialize?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Perhaps joining a training class (tell the trainer about her behavior issues first) will give you a chance to bond, teach, as well as socialize?

^^^ exactly. You need to do some traininig to be sure she does not get dog aggressive down the road... basic class at the local pet store should be a good start

M

mabel lou

Well from my own experiences because I do have a rescue girl who is 6yrs old and she took a little bit to finally allow Mabel to love her and much more time to show Mabel she loved her as well. But it does happen. I of course don't allow her to be the selfish girl she would love to be to Mabel and so it is not accepted in my home. Both are loved equally and Mabel I have had since a puppy but I will not tolerate any kind of aggression from either one. Thelma tries to let Mabel know through loud purring or soft growl that it is hers or she is not getting it and that as well is not tolerated. My nephew brought his very friendly dog over the other day and Mabel loves him to death so they played but when he came near Thelma she charged at him to tell him to back off and she did this twice. My nephews dog is so cute he just went right back and was trying to sniff her and she just sat down. As time went on with our visit Thelma lost interest in Benji and also I kept telling her in a very firm voice NO and then I would tell her you are alright or it's ok. I mean the whole point is that we have many dogs in my family and they love their dogs just as much as I love mine and their dogs are not allowed to be aggressive towards mine and visa versa. I think once the rules have been established and the dog feels safe and this can only be done by you that the dog will be much more calm.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I saw a dog at Petsmart who didn't like other dogs, and the owners had him in the training class to socialize him with other dogs

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I think once the rules have been established and the dog feels safe and this can only be done by you that the dog will be much more calm.

What she's talking about here is precisely this: Pack leadership. If Maddie doesn't "like" other dogs, then she should, at the very least, learn to ignore them. Having snarly, unsocialized dog creates anxiety for the humans which then leads to more negative behaviors in the dog in question. Vicious circle and it gets worse and worse. Maddie shouldn't be forced to play with other dogs if she's not into it, but she MUST learn to ignore them at the very least and that's very attainable. Best of all, it is going to be the best thing for Maddie. She doesn't WANT the responsibility of having to tell every dog she meets that she doesn't want to deal with them. Take that role away from her and she'll be a much happier dog!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.