Help Needed! Last nerve! Obedience help

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
[MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] thank you!!! I've already started the process and my hands are all beat up from her jumping and biting (those bulldogs don't let go) but I told my husband "I got this" when he tried to step in and EVENTUALLY she sat....I think it may work!!

Thanks everyone I guess I needed reassurance... :)

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
A lot of really excellent advice here. I also remember being told not to tell your Bully what he/she can' t do unless you also let them know what your expectations are and then reward them with treats or praise. Bullies are so stubborn. And I remember reading once that jumping isn't usually a problem with Bulldogs because they are so lazy. HAHAHA yeah right.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
@bulldogs4me thank you!!! I've already started the process and my hands are all beat up from her jumping and biting (those bulldogs don't let go) but I told my husband "I got this" when he tried to step in and EVENTUALLY she sat....I think it may work!!

Thanks everyone I guess I needed reassurance... :)

aww you are so welcome, I hope things get better fast! use calm assertive energy when working with her and make sure she understands you are the boss ... a strong attitude and a gentle hand work wonders. Using positive reinforcement for good behavior also helps, she will learn that when she is good, something good happens (i.e. treat) she will be more willing to be good. just remember, patience and consistency!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I too have to begin again with Otis, I need to be the consistent Mommy he needs me to be. He LOVES being trained with treats so thats a great thing to do when that behavior starts.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
What's started working for me to get him to calm down is to hold him between my legs on his back. I have to tussle with him a little until he stops squirming then he gets this deer caught headlights look on his face as he is in a state of shock. Then he stops his biting and grabbing. But that's not always practical, of course.

Passive restraint is what you're talking about, I think. I learned about that from me and Bea's first and second puppy classes. I did it with Bea; she has such a STRONG and WILLFUL personality.

This is a great thread. Good stuff here!

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Thank you all.

Update:

Spunky is indeed taking me more seriously, I've been workin with myself to try not to scream in pain when she bites, but remove myself and command her to sit instead. There are times I still need to pin her down. She's hanging out with me more, opposed to using me as her chew toy, and she's listening to me more too. And my favorite, she's letting me hug and kiss her face like crazy!!!! (Because I LOVE kissing her cheaks). A work in progress but it's in progress :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.