Help Needed! Last nerve! Obedience help

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Spunky (1yr.) still jumps like she's in a circus! When we get home, when she wants attention, and even when I have food (she will jump and grab whatever it is out of my hand). This has got to stop!!!! I feel like she's a lost cause (and I know I'm being dramatic). She also still runs around biting my ankles, legs, thighs, feet, any part of me she can get ahold of. My husband is the pack leader and I'm her play toy ahhhh! What do I do?!

I've tried everything I know for the biting and jumping...

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Daddy was the same and didn't really stop the jumping til 18 months. Linus too but since he turned 1 year old Ive noticed a definite improvement.

Just keep calm and assertive and ignore him totally when he jumps. With Linus it has helped to make him sit and wait for EVERYTHING. I think he's finally worked out that he gets nothing unless his butt is attached to the floor!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I am a newbie to EBD but have raised bullmastiffs (same bully mentality) and my daughter just rescued a boxer/bulldog mix. He had terrible issues with jumping and play biting anyone but me or my daughter! I established myself as his leader from DAY ONE. He had to earn everything from me and my daughter took my cues. However, my son ( her roommate) did not follow any of our advice and became his " playmate", never establishing boundaries. Even though he thought the occasional " sharp no" should be enough to stop unwanted behavior, it didn't mean a hill of beans to the dog. He always has that look of " he's not the boss of me" when my son would try to occasionally correct him! So, enter a professional trainer- and guess what! Mom's advice was EXACTLY what the trainer demonstrated. From day one, SHE was in control. And bad behavior was not tolerated. Turning her back on the dog when he jumped up on her because she had a treat in her hand, he realized he had to sit quietly before the treat was given. And lastly, she had my son walk him once a day- never leading, and had him feed him once a day. Didn't take long for Todd ( my son) TO BE TRAINED to handle Elliot and establish himself as a leader. Could have saved them $$$, but if you are really frustrated, it is money well spent. I would find someone who has experience in " bully mentality" Good luck! Hang in there- a good dog is under that fur!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
have you tried keeping her on a lead and when she starts to jump you take the lead place it under your foot and prevent her from jumping? It will take time but she will get it. we had to do it with Banks whenever my nieces/nephews came to the house (she LOVES children) she would turn into a jumpin bean so out of control. Talked to a trainer and she suggested the lead with positive reinforcement (treats / petting) when she does not jump

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Thank you to both of you who replied so far.

I'm frustrated because I don't pet her until she sits, and I try ignoring her when she bites (hurts so dang bad, have bruises all over both legs). I'm actually the one that walks her (and feeds her) so what else am I doing wrong????

I'm thinking about 1:1 training with her (professional) do you think that would help?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I'm frustrated because I don't pet her until she sits, and I try ignoring her when she bites (hurts so dang bad, have bruises all over both legs). I'm actually the one that walks her (and feeds her) so what else am I doing wrong????

I'm thinking about 1:1 training with her (professional) do you think that would help?

TOTALLY.... spunk is sensing your frustration and taking advantage of it... the trainer will help you to gain the control you need and lessen your frustration which will get Spunk to obey. It is a vicious circle

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Since I'm the one having the problem, do you think it should just be ME or should my husband come to be there also?

M

mabel lou

A trainer sounds like a wonderful direction, until then just sit down and and take a breather. She will sense your frustration and that is not good for them. I have two girls and one is a rescue and the other is one I have had since a puppy so she is very very playful, stubborn, and believes that the terrible two stage gives her permission to do what she wants. WRONG! I am the alpha around here and nothing gets to them unless it is through me. Now my rescue girl jumps jumps jumps with excitement for food and each and every time I go to place her bowl down for her she dance as though she has ants in her pants lol but she cannot have the food until she sits. Now when I tell her to sit and she appears as though she is going to do this I then will bend over to place the bowl down and she gets all excited and begins to jump again from excitement and when she does this I simply stand up with the bowl in my hand and repeat that she must sit and we do the same thing over again.She is a smart girl who wants to eat so she either sits or she goes without until she sits. She does the same thing before coming into our home. The rules are there for a reason. Possibly you could try little things first such as placing a leash on her while in the house and begin your training this way. That way she begins to understand that it starts in the home and you establish your rules that would like for her. But trying to change everything all at once will be frustrating so pick one thing and take baby steps. Since she listens to your husband then you should work with her so she realizes your the alpha as well. I have never been to a trainer and I am sure they are fab but I am one who believes that any positive advice should always be implemented with repetitive acts. Think of this as though she just arrived at your home and take it from their. Just breathe and start fresh. Have a great day and "you" can do this!
example- my brother calls his girl wild, she won't do this and she won't do that and she is always into things that she shouldn't be into ect. He brings her over here and says "what am I to do because she sure won't listen to me"
I said "what do you want her to do? He said I want her to listen to me. I said ok! So what do you want her to do? Again he said I want her to listen to me.ok! And then Ii said to him that he is asking for a very big order for something that she has absolutely no idea what he means. So I said lets start with one word and he looked at me like I was crazy lol but that one word that we started with has now turned into many words and he is no longer believing that she can understand full sentences. One word goes a long way. Good luck

Last edited:
OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
[MENTION=6198]mabel lou[/MENTION] thank you, I do need to calm down and start fresh. Thanks everyone for your support! I love this forum :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I'm Hermans favorite play toy!

What's started working for me to get him to calm down is to hold him between my legs on his back. I have to tussle with him a little until he stops squirming then he gets this deer caught headlights look on his face as he is in a state of shock. Then he stops his biting and grabbing. But that's not always practical, of course.

Can you just lead her to her crate or room when she gets rambunctious? All I have to do is threaten him now with the words "wanna go to your room?" and he'll usually retreat. Or try to change her mode of thinking by working on her tricks and commands. You just have to get her out of that frame of mind so she'll calm down and listen to you. Others have given you some helpful tips above!!!

Good luck!!!!!!

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Thanks! I actually do the exact same lol I need to do that Whenever i put her collar or jacket on...she's a great dog deep down, I just see it as much as my husband does ha.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We are working on Bacon's jumping habit at the moment too. One thing we started with was when he would come running or we saw the little hunker down prior to jumping we would put our hand in front of his face with our palm side facing him. This prevented him from jumping also he could not bite you because it's a flat surface. We did that for a few days and he started to get the idea, now if he comes barreling down the hall to play we just need to put a finger out and he will stop and sit in front of us.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber gets excited when I come home in the afternoon. I cannot have bags or anything in my hands when I enter the house because she comes running at full speed. I quit trying to handle the bags and her too so now I just go directly in, pet her and calm her down, get my hellos from her for a few minutes and once she calms enough and goes and gets a toy I know I am safe to get the groceries or anything else I needed to bring into the house. She demands attention and will stop at nothing to get it; when she is calm she does not jump up but until she is calm our hands are full. Now, my grandson has trouble the moment he enters the house, he is seven and Amber looks at him as being her size and she takes his shoe everytime. We are working on her but she is a work in progress. lol. Good Luck.

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Yup that sounds like spunky!! When I get home I'm going to start the hand gesture and see if that settles with her for a few days....I'll have my husband start doing that too, just so she gets the idea. Do you say no or just put your hand out?

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava

Yes 1 on 1 training will help!!

First tip, she will feel and react to your frustration, dogs can read their humans like a book! You need to set clear and precise rules, boundaries and limitations and never stray from them! when she even begins to jump at you or nip at your feet, take a deep breath control your emotions and correct her ... I use the sound "ATAT" when my dogs do something I disagree with ... when my female (she is my naughty dog so to speak) chooses not to listen I will put her collar and leash on her, even in the house, that way I have a tool to help with control.

Second tip, when walking her, you need to make sure you are in the Pack Leader position (this actually applies to every day and all situations) she should never be allowed to walk ahead of you, leave the house or enter the house ahead of you.

Third tip, when feeding her, make her work for the food! Make her sit and wait until you say its time to eat, that goes for treats to!

She will hold you in higher regard and give you more respect when she views you as her pack leader!! You need to have a firm but gentle touch with her and always remember to breath, hold your head up and shoulders back, a pack leader always stands proud! Once you start showing her YOU are the leader just remember to make her follow the rules, boundaries and limitations you have set for her and always be consistent!!! Calm assertive leadership and consistency are the winning combo all the time!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.