The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Last nerve! Obedience help

Amber gets excited when I come home in the afternoon. I cannot have bags or anything in my hands when I enter the house because she comes running at full speed. I quit trying to handle the bags and her too so now I just go directly in, pet her and calm her down, get my hellos from her for a few minutes and once she calms enough and goes and gets a toy I know I am safe to get the groceries or anything else I needed to bring into the house. She demands attention and will stop at nothing to get it; when she is calm she does not jump up but until she is calm our hands are full. Now, my grandson has trouble the moment he enters the house, he is seven and Amber looks at him as being her size and she takes his shoe everytime. We are working on her but she is a work in progress. lol. Good Luck.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Spunky
    Likes (Received)

Yup that sounds like spunky!! When I get home I'm going to start the hand gesture and see if that settles with her for a few days....I'll have my husband start doing that too, just so she gets the idea. Do you say no or just put your hand out?

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spunkysmom2012 View Post
    Thank you to both of you who replied so far.

I'm frustrated because I don't pet her until she sits, and I try ignoring her when she bites (hurts so dang bad, have bruises all over both legs). I'm actually the one that walks her (and feeds her) so what else am I doing wrong????

I'm thinking about 1:1 training with her (professional) do you think that would help?
    Yes 1 on 1 training will help!!

First tip, she will feel and react to your frustration, dogs can read their humans like a book! You need to set clear and precise rules, boundaries and limitations and never stray from them! when she even begins to jump at you or nip at your feet, take a deep breath control your emotions and correct her ... I use the sound "ATAT" when my dogs do something I disagree with ... when my female (she is my naughty dog so to speak) chooses not to listen I will put her collar and leash on her, even in the house, that way I have a tool to help with control.

Second tip, when walking her, you need to make sure you are in the Pack Leader position (this actually applies to every day and all situations) she should never be allowed to walk ahead of you, leave the house or enter the house ahead of you.

Third tip, when feeding her, make her work for the food! Make her sit and wait until you say its time to eat, that goes for treats to!

She will hold you in higher regard and give you more respect when she views you as her pack leader!! You need to have a firm but gentle touch with her and always remember to breath, hold your head up and shoulders back, a pack leader always stands proud! Once you start showing her YOU are the leader just remember to make her follow the rules, boundaries and limitations you have set for her and always be consistent!!! Calm assertive leadership and consistency are the winning combo all the time!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Spunky
    Likes (Received)

@bulldogs4me thank you!!! I've already started the process and my hands are all beat up from her jumping and biting (those bulldogs don't let go) but I told my husband "I got this" when he tried to step in and EVENTUALLY she sat....I think it may work!!

Thanks everyone I guess I needed reassurance...

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

A lot of really excellent advice here. I also remember being told not to tell your Bully what he/she can' t do unless you also let them know what your expectations are and then reward them with treats or praise. Bullies are so stubborn. And I remember reading once that jumping isn't usually a problem with Bulldogs because they are so lazy. HAHAHA yeah right.

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spunkysmom2012 View Post
    @bulldogs4me thank you!!! I've already started the process and my hands are all beat up from her jumping and biting (those bulldogs don't let go) but I told my husband "I got this" when he tried to step in and EVENTUALLY she sat....I think it may work!!

Thanks everyone I guess I needed reassurance...
    aww you are so welcome, I hope things get better fast! use calm assertive energy when working with her and make sure she understands you are the boss ... a strong attitude and a gentle hand work wonders. Using positive reinforcement for good behavior also helps, she will learn that when she is good, something good happens (i.e. treat) she will be more willing to be good. just remember, patience and consistency!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Spunky
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone ill keep you updated!!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

I too have to begin again with Otis, I need to be the consistent Mommy he needs me to be. He LOVES being trained with treats so thats a great thing to do when that behavior starts.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by elearn View Post
    What's started working for me to get him to calm down is to hold him between my legs on his back. I have to tussle with him a little until he stops squirming then he gets this deer caught headlights look on his face as he is in a state of shock. Then he stops his biting and grabbing. But that's not always practical, of course.
    Passive restraint is what you're talking about, I think. I learned about that from me and Bea's first and second puppy classes. I did it with Bea; she has such a STRONG and WILLFUL personality.

This is a great thread. Good stuff here!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Spunky
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all.

Update:

Spunky is indeed taking me more seriously, I've been workin with myself to try not to scream in pain when she bites, but remove myself and command her to sit instead. There are times I still need to pin her down. She's hanging out with me more, opposed to using me as her chew toy, and she's listening to me more too. And my favorite, she's letting me hug and kiss her face like crazy!!!! (Because I LOVE kissing her cheaks). A work in progress but it's in progress

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads