Help Needed! Question about crating

Nora Jowls

Nov 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nora Jowls
So I am trying to warm Nora up to crating. I've been feeing her all her meals in her crate and at meal time she now runs in there no problem. I've been doing this for maybe 3 days. Noe I tried putting her in with a toy and closing the door and she is going bonkers. How long should she stay quiet before I let her out. I'm sitting within eyeshot of her as well. I just don't want to let her out while she is whining and barking. How can I keep her from chewing the bars as well? I'm scared she is going to hurt herself! Thanks!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse goes in his crate for bed, but I do not feed him in it when he was a tiny puppie he used to have a whinge when I put him in it and so back I would go let him out for a while then put him back but then he would whinge again but when my hubby put him in he would just get on his bed and go to sleep so I had to be tough and wal away he soon learnt bedtime was bedtime now when Ftse wants to go to bed he sits at his crate. During the day he does not go in it if I go out he goes in the garage with his bed and generally sleeps the whole time.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Try going up to the crate and touching her through the crate. Tell her no ...not now and then walk away. If you keep approaching the crate but not letting her out then she will understand that just because she screams and you acknowledge, it does not mean you going to take her out. This has worked for me on several occasions. If she is real stubborn she will still scream, because she wants your attention regardless if it's just to come up to her crate or not. Hope it works for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Give her something to occupy herself! She doesn't understand what is happening. Give her a stuffed kong or a marrow bone! They take a bit of time. She'll be so busy with her yummy treat, she won't even realize that she's locked up. It will make it less shocking/a bad thing. Hide little treats in the blankets and leave the door open. She'll sniff them out and begin to go to her crate to look for these treats. It really worked for Tilly. She loves her crate now because it's the magic bestower of treaties. :lmao:

Don't just crate her when you leave. Leave her for an hour or so in the crate while you're home, so she won't associate the crate with your leaving and terrible things happening. Let her cry if the distraction doesn't immediately work. Don't give her attention for crying. She'll eventually get bored and discover her special treat. If you're just letting her in for a moment and she's crying, wait until she COMPLETELY stops to let her out. Even if it's only for a minute. If your hand is on the door and she starts whining again, stop and wait. Bullies are very smart, she'll realize quickly that quiet puppies get to come out and play!

Also, do you force her into the crate? If so, that can be a huge reason why she has such a negative association with it. Bribe her. Every single time until she gets used to it. I'd get Tilly's favorite treats/marrow bone/kong and tell her "go to your room", throw the treat in the crate, and watch her race in for it. I'd shut the door while she's enjoying her prize, and we're both happy. If you force her in, she won't have a happy association! Good luck! It just takes persistence. Tilly was 8 wks old when we started crate training, it took about two weeks before she stopped crying, and a month before she NEVER cried at all in the crate.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.