General Question Listening

Lolasdaddy

Dec 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I have a real problem with Lola listening. She doesn't listen to me but she will her mom. I try to help with her but she will not do as I ask and I have to repeat tell she listens. I was wondering what I can do to get her to listen to me as well as her mom?

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Hi glad you are there to help and want to learn more, you're a good hubby!! :)

First off if she isn't listening to you as well as your wife, to me that sounds like she sees your wife as the "alpha leader" and you need to establish yourself as her leader as well. Walks are always a good way to put Lola in the follower position behind you as pack leader ... she can not be allowed to walk in front of you or leave the home or enter the home first, the leader is always first! Repeating commands is another way she is pulling the wool over your eyes so to speak, I know with my two (even when my child was young I applied this) what I say goes on the first time around or they get a consequence, say I want them off the sofa ... I will walk up to them stand tall and proud with calm but assertive energy and tell them "Off" and point to the floor ... if they decide to not listen I don't repeat my command I will just calmly remove them from the sofa and the consequence will be that I won't let them back on until I want them there...then I will invite them back up but they can not choose to jump up just because they want to.

I would suggest starting from the basics and just re-establish your relationship with Lola, be firm but gentle and always be consistent in what you expect from her. set clear rules, boundaries and limitations and stick to them always. lots of praise when she has done good, and ignore her when she misbehaves. Training classes are always fun, if that is something you are interested in doing.

Teaching her to focus on you is a good thing to by using the "watch me or look" command ... you hold a treat up to your eyes, once she is focused and looking you in the eye for even a second treat her and praise ... keep doing that and as she does better extend the length of time she has to watch or look at you before you treat ... this is a great tool when you need to be able to pull her attention from something else.

sorry for rambling on but training is something I love so could talk forever about it .... hope things start getting better!

Last edited:

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
It's the exact opposite here in our house. I do all the dirty work-I bathe them, feed them, wipe their butts, clean up after them, and daddy gets all the fun times with them and they only listen to him. ugh

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
At our house like my hubby has posted above Lola listens to me and he can tell you something and she will walk off and come find me then he will tell me to tell Lola the command and she will listen. It has always been me and her because he traveled a lot as a puppy but now he is home more but she for used to me and how I do things. When it comes to snuggling its a 50/50 who she wants some days me some days him but she will not listen to him at all without a treat. He takes her out to potty sometimes, he will put on the leash and then she will sit and whine looking at me tell he pulls her out the door. I feel bad because he tried helping me all he can but he gets frustrated. Im glad he joined so that he can have a close relationship with her.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Ahhh now I'm making the connection :idea: you can help a lot by empowering him ... when she looks to you for that "do I have to mom" assurance you need to turn away and not give in to her plea let him control the situation so Lola understands what he says goes too! Work together with training it will take you really far and make her a happy happy girl because mom and dad speak the same language and have the same rules boundaries and limitations for her ... which makes for a balanced home!!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Some people here, and elsewhere, might not recommend Ceasar Milan's books, but they really helped me (even though I've had dogs all my life and thought I knew as much as one could). You might be able to find enough info just from his website and videos, and see if any of it feels right.

I learned how to handle myself and my tone and attitude when dealing with both my Boston and bully. The big one for me was learning not to show frustration. so difficult, especially with a puppy. I also feel embaraased to say that I never really prioritized The Walk, even just a few blocks a day can really help. Anyway, your girl needs you both. once this gets settled (it will) you will be overwhelmed with how much joy these babies bring, and how easy they are.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ahhh now I'm making the connection :idea: you can help a lot by empowering him ... when she looks to you for that "do I have to mom" assurance you need to turn away and not give in to her plea let him control the situation so Lola understands what he says goes too! Work together with training it will take you really far and make her a happy happy girl because mom and dad speak the same language and have the same rules boundaries and limitations for her ... which makes for a balanced home!!

^^^ what she said!

lewis is lead in our home, but both pups listen to both of us the same cause we trained them together and stayed consistent in what we were training. Now, although lewis is lead -- the pups ALWAYS want to be me with because I feed and they know it. hee hee hee

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
Hi glad you are there to help and want to learn more, you're a good hubby!! :)

First off if she isn't listening to you as well as your wife, to me that sounds like she sees your wife as the "alpha leader" and you need to establish yourself as her leader as well. Walks are always a good way to put Lola in the follower position behind you as pack leader ... she can not be allowed to walk in front of you or leave the home or enter the home first, the leader is always first! Repeating commands is another way she is pulling the wool over your eyes so to speak, I know with my two (even when my child was young I applied this) what I say goes on the first time around or they get a consequence, say I want them off the sofa ... I will walk up to them stand tall and proud with calm but assertive energy and tell them "Off" and point to the floor ... if they decide to not listen I don't repeat my command I will just calmly remove them from the sofa and the consequence will be that I won't let them back on until I want them there...then I will invite them back up but they can not choose to jump up just because they want to.

I would suggest starting from the basics and just re-establish your relationship with Lola, be firm but gentle and always be consistent in what you expect from her. set clear rules, boundaries and limitations and stick to them always. lots of praise when she has done good, and ignore her when she misbehaves. Training classes are always fun, if that is something you are interested in doing.

Teaching her to focus on you is a good thing to by using the "watch me or look" command ... you hold a treat up to your eyes, once she is focused and looking you in the eye for even a second treat her and praise ... keep doing that and as she does better extend the length of time she has to watch or look at you before you treat ... this is a great tool when you need to be able to pull her attention from something else.

sorry for rambling on but training is something I love so could talk forever about it .... hope things start getting better!

Such great advice [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION]! You offer up any hubby-training advice?? Tee hee hee..

L

Lucy-licious

At our house like my hubby has posted above Lola listens to me and he can tell you something and she will walk off and come find me then he will tell me to tell Lola the command and she will listen. It has always been me and her because he traveled a lot as a puppy but now he is home more but she for used to me and how I do things. When it comes to snuggling its a 50/50 who she wants some days me some days him but she will not listen to him at all without a treat. He takes her out to potty sometimes, he will put on the leash and then she will sit and whine looking at me tell he pulls her out the door. I feel bad because he tried helping me all he can but he gets frustrated. Im glad he joined so that he can have a close relationship with her.

Another hubby and wife team :dancing:

I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere but :welcome: to EBN [MENTION=7223]Lolasdaddy[/MENTION] x

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Remember, dogs perceive their world in this order: Nose, Eyes, THEN Ears. Forget "listening" for now. Seek, gain and RETAIN her attention via a high value treat for now. (hide it in your palm and let her nose get a whiff of it before the "exercise") Tiny cheese cubes worked great for my dogs. Get her into the habit of being rewarded for "Come Come Come" (the most important thing you can teach a dog, in my opinion) and other behaviors you want. Go easy. Be patient. Set her up for success. Lola will get in the "habit" of "listening" (or more accurately, doing what you want her to do). Remember that energy and body language is JUST AS IMPORTANT (if not more so, really) than SOUND.

Nose, eyes, ears!!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Maybe we should try cheese although she really loves the fruitables we use. We will have to work together with her and I hope since hubby doesnt travel for his job anymore she will keep getting more used to him being around and know he isnt just a play buddy but a pack leader. Maybe she picks up on my husband being submissive in our home:p.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Such great advice @bulldogs4me! You offer up any hubby-training advice?? Tee hee hee..

At first I was going to say "oh heck no" and laugh it off because yeah I'm single and can't seem to keep a man around long enough to call him "husband" LOL but then I actually thought about it and this is what I've come up with and it applies to both women and men .... can you imagine the type of relationships we could all have if we treated our partners as good as we treat our bulldogs!?! Bring them their meals, make sure they have anything and everything they could ever want and some things they didn't even know they wanted just because we love them and want them happy that's how we treat our bulldogs, they get the best of everything we can give them topped off with a hug and kiss .... if we did just half of that for our partners there would be some fantastic and loving relationships ... hmmmm next guy I date maybe I will treat him like a bulldog ;)

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
At first I was going to say "oh heck no" and laugh it off because yeah I'm single and can't seem to keep a man around long enough to call him "husband" LOL but then I actually thought about it and this is what I've come up with and it applies to both women and men .... can you imagine the type of relationships we could all have if we treated our partners as good as we treat our bulldogs!?! Bring them their meals, make sure they have anything and everything they could ever want and some things they didn't even know they wanted just because we love them and want them happy that's how we treat our bulldogs, they get the best of everything we can give them topped off with a hug and kiss .... if we did just half of that for our partners there would be some fantastic and loving relationships ... hmmmm next guy I date maybe I will treat him like a bulldog ;)

Maybe we could if they would act more like our bulldogs! Dogs are so cool I wish more people would act like dogs. That unconditional love, & always happy to see you, & so loyal!

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

OP
Lolasdaddy

Lolasdaddy

Dec 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Well ladies my wife treats me like Lola. She brings me my food and even gives me treats when I sit and stay.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.