Help Needed! She eats everything on the ground :(

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Every time I take Izzy to a dog park or play area, instead of playing with other dogs all she wants to do is eat all the crap on the floor such as rocks, sticks, wood chips..... It's annoying!!!! What can I do to make her stop? She became the biggest eater of acorns.... And last night she threw up half of the stuff she ate while we were at the play area. People will even make fun of me that I need to feed my dog :cursing:

help!!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Every time I take Izzy to a dog park or play area, instead of playing with other dogs all she wants to do is eat all the crap on the floor such as rocks, sticks, wood chips..... It's annoying!!!! What can I do to make her stop? She became the biggest eater of acorns.... And last night she threw up half of the stuff she ate while we were at the play area. People will even make fun of me that I need to feed my dog :cursing:

help!!!!

The only thing I can think of in your situation is to teach her the drop it!!! command. It is not a good idea to let her chew on things especially at the dog park you never know what kind of bacteria may be in those sticks and acorns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
drop it is good, leave it is better!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
She knows the command "leave it" but only when I give her a very good treat to exchange what she has in her mouth. The problem is if I walk into a dog park with a bag of treats I will be in trouble!!! Done that before and I had 30 dogs coming on my direction....

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
She knows the command "leave it" but only when I give her a very good treat to exchange what she has in her mouth. The problem is if I walk into a dog park with a bag of treats I will be in trouble!!! Done that before and I had 30 dogs coming on my direction....
Something needs to be more rewarding than the objects she is interested in. Miss T had a big thing for goose poop.:barf: Only a little bit of treat could tear her away. I know exactly what you mean about treats and dog parks. But using the treats is the best way to reinforce the "leave it". I use a sealed bag and pull out a treat quickly. It's not perfect but only the best noses will come over to me - most parents at the park will make sure their dogs are polite.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks was (still is) the same way.... leave it worked great for her, but when out we had to resort to 'stomp foot' very loud next to the object she is goiing after with the words leave it.... now we just say leave it and she drops or walks away --- it takes a LOT of time

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My Dozer does the same thing, I swear he is part Billy Goat, he eats, sticks, rocks, wood chips, piles of newly mown grass over the summer, he would grab mouthfuls, and he loves pinecones, he chews and crunches them. Off works for him, and he will let me take objects out of his mouth, without biting me. You could try carrying a small empty pill bottle filled with pennies, or screws and shake it to divert his attention. I've used this method in the house, and when the two of them are playing to rough, and they immediately stop what they are doing. Good luck, I hope you find something that works, it's scary what these guys will eat. Lol

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Maybe your bullie isn't quite ready for the dog park until she learns leave it better. Mine have never been because I don't feel confident enough yet.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I'm a firm believer in mean mama voice lol I can say she's a good girl but if I use the "tone" she stops whatever she's doing n runs like her butt is on fire to come back to me :) idk if its just cuz she's such a mammas girl that it upsets her when I'm mad or what but she used to eat sticks all the time n one time of telling her leave it in the "voice" now all I have to do is make a noise when she has one and she drops it and walks away :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well Jake is STILL horrible at grabbing and he runs as he is inhaling it. He does respond to DROP! But I have to constantly be on him. He has now decided to grab branches about 2 feet long and run while chomping! When this happens..(almost every morning walk) he gets a big DROP and I put him back on leash. :cursing:

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Well Jake is STILL horrible at grabbing and he runs as he is inhaling it. He does respond to DROP! But I have to constantly be on him. He has now decided to grab branches about 2 feet long and run while chomping! When this happens..(almost every morning walk) he gets a big DROP and I put him back on leash. :cursing:
Izzy takes off running too, the past two nights she threw up because she ate something she wasn't supposed to.

overall she is very well behaved but I'm noticing that when it comes to the dog park now she is not listening to me as much. I think this week I will bring some treats and reinforce her training.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Izzy's just a wee baby girl....takes time to learn all that stuff! Besides, 8 out of 10 Bulldogs prefer their own dog barf over a cookie..... *snork*

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We don't go to dog parks, but that doesn't stop Linus trying to eat the entire back yard!! Drop it doesn't work for me either .... if I yell drop it he will either run away, and/or chew even faster in the hope that he's swallowed it before I can get to him!!! :angry2:

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
On the last bulldog meeting I even gave up on Izzy and the other bulldog owners were taking stuff out of her mouth. The only way I can make her stop is when I play fetch with her OR if she finds a large stick to chew on.

Most Reactions