Help Needed! Bully mama needs help, terrible two's in FULL EFFECT... :(

Trixie

Nov 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bixby
Well maybe I shouldn't blame everything on his age. I got Bixby about 2 weeks ago. His previous owner didn't socialize him with other dogs and he was usually in his crate for long periods of time, so now I am having one hell of a time with him. Whenever I walk him, he tunes me out because he's so distracted by EVERYTHING!! I keep him on a short leash and I make sure that he walks right beside me and never in front of me. But once he sees a dog or certain people I have a hard time controlling my 50lb bully. He lunges, he growls and he's totally fixated and there's no way to get his attention short of spanking his butt, waving his treats in front of him doesnt work either. I've been reading about the NILIF method, does that really work? Bixby knows his basic commands like sit and stay, trying to work on down, but that's a whole different thing. Would neutering him really calm him down? He's also starting to become territorial. My fiancé ordered take out today and when the door was opened, he lunged at the delivery guy and tried to attack. He'd never done that before. When I talk to people on the streets, he'll get in between me and the other person and start with a low growl and if the other person doesn't leave, he gets more agitated.

Help... Open to all suggestions... Sorry, it's a long post, I'm just frustrated and scared that I won't be able to take care of my bully...

On a brighter note, he's completely house broken. He's never gone potty in the apartment and he doesn't jump on the furniture. So I would have to say that his previous owners did a good job with that aspect...

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I neutered my male bully at 3 years old. He was both marking in the house and male dog aggressive. It has helped a lot. It took a while for the hormones to get out of his system but he is much calmer and doesn't mark at home. I do have to watch him at the pet store though.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bixby is just adorable, but he sounds like he is exhibiting some aggressive behavior, assuredly from his lack of socialization, over crating, and fear. You have a lot going on here. I would invest in a good trainer that will come to the house and teach you AND your fiancé how to become the Alfa. It will be time and money well spent. Sounds like Bixby needs boundaries, and you need to be the one who sets them, not him! My daughter rescued a boxer/ bulldog mix. She had almost the same exact scenario- lunging, aggression towards strangers, and the worse was his protectiveness towards her! He would not let anyone even near her if she was on the couch ( except me because I gained his trust FIRST, then set some boundaries). It took a lot of work and patience, and with the help of a behaviorist who specialized in rescue dogs, Elliot is really coming around! But it is a work in progress that will have to continue- always! You don't want to let this go, as the aggression my get worse as he realizes HE's the boss. Good luck and get some professional help with this. less you for rescuing this handsome devil!!! There are also ALOT of people here who will give you some great advice!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I would strongly advise to stop the "spanking his butt"; it will only exacerbate the issues you're having and potentially, create more fear stuff with him. Sounds like he has enough already! hee hee

NILF is a GREAT way to get going with this one. Walk him BEFORE meals and keep a high value treat on hand to reward the behaviors you want to see.

On walks, I would suggest you stay between him and whatever the "target" is of his lunging. The closer he gets to the target, the less control you have over his behavior. Too, if you are between him and the target, it takes the pressure off his little brain to be afraid/lash out and whatever it is, right? Practice leadership activities with him CONSTANTLY. He will catch on ---- and BONUS; he'll be relieved that he doesn't have to be the leader!

Neutering Bixby should be a top priority. Not only will neutering remove the frustrations of not being able to breed but you won't have to worry about testicular cancers or other medical problems associated with un-neutered pups.

He is ADORABLE. Thank you for choosing adoption. I am excited to see you work your leadership magic with this marvelous boy!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I would enroll him in a training class for sure! The class will address all those issues plus create a bond between you and your baby.

OP
Trixie

Trixie

Nov 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bixby
Anybody know of a great trainer in the downtown Los Angeles area?

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I was in a puppy manners class with Miss T and there was a Boxer 2 years old that was allowed there because he had all the issues you have with your Bully. The trainer did some privates at his home and then he was in class with us after he has had be taught to settle and had stopped being aggressive to other dogs. After 6 weeks he had calmed down considerably was very attentive to the woman who brought him to class. The trainer taught her uses positive reinforcement training and we all learned about how to prevent, distract etc. undesirable behaviours without any physical discipline. Bullies and physical discipline are a risky combo because of their "never give up" nature. Please be gentle with him, and bless you for not giving up. Bixby is so handsome!

OP
Trixie

Trixie

Nov 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bixby
Let me also clarify, he's not always lunging and growling at other people. There are times when we are totally incident free and he is just a happy lil bully walking down the street. And yes, I should not be spanking his bottom for his bad behavior. Thanks everyone .. :)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
you have been given some good advice already I just wanted to add, when you are walking, if you walk with calm assertive energy, standing tall and proud he won't feel the need to "protect" because he will know you have it all under control! That also applies to opening the door ... claim the space and by doing that he will again feel secure in knowing you have control of the situation at hand and he will be able to relax and be the happy go lucky puppy you love so much!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would strongly advise to stop the "spanking his butt"; it will only exacerbate the issues you're having and potentially, create more fear stuff with him. Sounds like he has enough already! hee hee

NILF is a GREAT way to get going with this one. Walk him BEFORE meals and keep a high value treat on hand to reward the behaviors you want to see.

On walks, I would suggest you stay between him and whatever the "target" is of his lunging. The closer he gets to the target, the less control you have over his behavior. Too, if you are between him and the target, it takes the pressure off his little brain to be afraid/lash out and whatever it is, right? Practice leadership activities with him CONSTANTLY. He will catch on ---- and BONUS; he'll be relieved that he doesn't have to be the leader!

Neutering Bixby should be a top priority. Not only will neutering remove the frustrations of not being able to breed but you won't have to worry about testicular cancers or other medical problems associated with un-neutered pups.

He is ADORABLE. Thank you for choosing adoption. I am excited to see you work your leadership magic with this marvelous boy!

^^^^ great advice!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.