Help Needed! Still Nipping

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Port Orange, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
I wrote an earlier post about me being a newbie to the EB world and having a 12 week now going on 13 week old EB. We are having problems with her nipping especially at our 4 yr old son. Lately in the face.

Things I tried:
Folding her upper lips under her teeth-which works for the moment
Sticking our hand inside mouth and holding her bottom jaw to not allow her to bit down
Lastly using the coins in the can- which works but u have to locate the can by the time u do she is done.

While using some of these we follow by replacing with her chew toy.

None seem to work at all. Any help!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We just kept shoving a toy in his mouth, but even with that he still got us from time to time, he was a very nippy puppy. He eventually grew out of it.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
As puppies it is a struggle but they will grow out of it for sure.

Determine who has the most power ofter he dog currently and be sure they correct every single time in the same calm assertive manor. Work on everyone being able to have the same ability so everyone is consistent with the same correction and method using a combination of a sound like "sshhhttt" and a quick finger tip bite just behind the front leg to change there focus.

Another things is as they get tired they get edgy and that is a true sign they just need to go to there kennel for a nap, sometimes it's hard to judge because they will play themselves till they fall over but you will be able to tell when enough is enough and they just need to go to sleep, taking them for a walk to burn off that built up energy is really key here and a tired dog = a good talk at that age for sure.

A combination of consistent correction, replace with something they can chew on as mentioned like a bone, antler etc, and a good much needed walk you should have alot better situation.

At any rate, calm assertive correction and having everyone doing there part you can expand on that and control almost any issues that arise over time.

Meanwhile i'm still batteling the trying to get what's on the kitchen counter and table issue resolved, not sure myself if it will ever go away taking my own advice.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Oh man I forgot about the over tired part, Bacon was a complete nightmare when he was over tired. He would literally throw temper tantrums snapping at anything near him.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I dont think any of those things will instantly stop the nipping. Distracting her with something is probably your best bet for now. She is a very young puppy so it will take her a while to understand what you mean. Does she have a crate or a designated play area? Maybe for you, to protect your son, your response to her rowdiness might be to put her in her play pen/crate when she gets tired with a toy.

She will grow out of it as she gets older, she's just doing what puppies do :)

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I wrote an earlier post about me being a newbie to the EB world and having a 12 week now going on 13 week old EB. We are having problems with her nipping especially at our 4 yr old son. Lately in the face.

Things I tried:
Folding her upper lips under her teeth-which works for the moment
Sticking our hand inside mouth and holding her bottom jaw to not allow her to bit down
Lastly using the coins in the can- which works but u have to locate the can by the time u do she is done.

While using some of these we follow by replacing with her chew toy.

None seem to work at all. Any help!

Mouthwash worked really good for duchess. Anytime she nipped I rubes mouthwash in her mouth and on what she was t suppose to nip at. She is 8 months now and doesn't chew anything she's not suppose to and doesn't nip on anything! I learned that trick in puppy traing class. Let me know if you try this and how it works. It literally took about a week for her to stop! Good luck!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
When you are interacting with the pup and you know he is going to get mouthy, get your can of coins and make sure it's near. Make sure it's close. Think of it like a training session, almost provoking it by being on the floor with him. This really helped us curb it fast by being totally in control when it happened... Thus making correction timely and effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk H

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
They really do outgrow it. Distraction and no..over and over worked for us. It's hard when small children are around..I know, but we also kept the coins in a can very nearby...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.