Help Needed! So hard...fighting and hurting each other :(

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
Jim (daddy to the dogs, my fiance) and I are having a MAJOR issue at our home.

This all began when Jim was laid off two weeks ago and is now home all the time with the boys.

The boys. Sherman (4 years old...had been the alpha), Custer (almost 2), Stonewall (10 months old).

All three rescues. All three neutered.

All three got along very well. Cleaning and grooming each other, sleeping in a pile of bulldogs, and then dad got laid off. Their schedule changed. Dad is (3 weeks now) home all day. Custer (2 year old) loves Dad like nothing else on earth. HOWEVER...now that dad is home all day, Custer insists on being near him, and if Sherman goes near them the fight is on.

At first it was posturing and growling. It is now puncture wounds and tears.

We separate them, but as soon as they are together if Dad is in the room...its on. Sometimes for no apparent reason. When Dad is out of the house and it is just me and them...no fights. The puppy is never part of these fights.

As Custer is now 2 years old (or nearly) I understand he is getting more mature and may want to vie for dominance? I've never had t his issue in all the years I've had dogs.

We know Jim is the issue. We know Custer is claiming him or demonstrating dominant behavior in regard to Jim...but how do you stop this.

I'd imagine Jim has to stop it. They do not behave like this with me.

Jim has never been with dogs before, so this is a learning thing for him. They obey me, they think about obeying him. It just makes me sad.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm so sorry. A lot on your plate right now for sure. I'm not the right one to help you..but I will try and get the attention of a few people. Hang in there!

@Sherry...@Davidh...[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm not going to be able to help either just wanted to say good luck

Thank you both. It is breaking our hearts. My fiance actually teared up about it today. I just want our happy house back. I am hoping we can get Custer straightened out, and jim fixed up with the knowledge to make it all alright.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
What if you try something like letting Jim walk Sherman outside and leave Custer inside so he can't go after him. Or separate the rooms with baby gates so Jim can socialize with both of them.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
This may sound amateur, but does the can of change and other super scary noises that break the pattern not helping at all? When my cats are fighting, like really going at it, that always does the trick. Every now and then, I have to put someone in time out, though.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well anytime you see one posture over another stop it immediately, before the fight starts. Sometimes you don't have the chance to stop it though, so you need to look for the signs or the look right before the fight starts and stop it. I would start with having your husband walk them together. You may need to help at first to see how it goes. You take one and Hubby takes the other. If they start to fight or get aggressive you can stop it immediately. If they get on the couch with you or your husband, I would start by making them stay off the couch until they start getting along again. The one starting the fight I will grab by the side and submit them, but if you are not careful and do not know how to do it, you can get bit, so be careful. I think the walks will help and once they walk well together with the both of you, let hubby take both of them together, until they start getting along. This takes time and you need to be consistent with it. Make them earn or work for everything. They sit before eating, they sit before going outside and you go out the door first, they sit before they get affection, this is just some of the things you can try to get started. good luck.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well anytime you see one posture over another stop it immediately, before the fight starts. Sometimes you don't have the chance to stop it though, so you need to look for the signs or the look right before the fight starts and stop it. I would start with having your husband walk them together. You may need to help at first to see how it goes. You take one and Hubby takes the other. If they start to fight or get aggressive you can stop it immediately. If they get on the couch with you or your husband, I would start by making them stay off the couch until they start getting along again. The one starting the fight I will grab by the side and submit them, but if you are not careful and do not know how to do it, you can get bite, so be careful. I think the walks will help and once they walk well together with the both of you, let hubby take both of them together, until they start getting along. This takes time and you need to be consistent with it. Make them earn or work for everything. They sit before eating, they sit before going outside and you go out the door first, they sit before they get affection, this is just some of the things you can try to get started. good luck.

Excellent advice ^^^^

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Ouch. that hurts.
I have 5 in the house, and sometimes my husband is alone with them too. I notice a big difference in their behavior when he enters the picture. this is just my opinion on my situation and what I believe although I don't have the huge fights you are dealing with. They do scrap a little around him only.
Anyone of them will claim dominance because he doesn't know how too. It's the way a leader carry's themselves and has control of the situation, relaxed, calm and assertive. It might sound corny, but Cesar Milan is right on with this attitude, the posture say's it all. The quick response when necessary, The way he walks them, talks to them and gives attention to them. He needs to let them know he's boss not them. No baby talk. My husband is no better at this than your fiance. He want's to please the dog and make them happy, not to hurt there feelings. By letting the dog in charge adds a lot of pressure to the relationship between the dog and human. too much stress on the dog. The dog can relax when he knows he doesn't have to make choices or decisions. Given in to the pack leader will bring peace, and eventually he can occasionally baby talk them. :babysleep:
I talk and talk and talk to my husband and then I get mad with him. :whew:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Ok, my bit of advice would be to have your husband make all the pups stay down off the furniture.maybe even have him give each a set place in the room away from eachother. Then have your husband tell them which one he wants at which time. I would think that having the one who is demanding his time to sit and stay while he gives his attentions to the next. I am far from an expert but it seems like he is claiming daddy and so he doesn't get him at all until he learns the rules. Same idea I did when miila was tryi to claim all the toys. I gave the toys to the other pups while she just sat watching and waiting. He should handle all feelings and this one should eat last until he steps back in line where he should be. Ad perhaps daddy should try hand feeding slowly and demanding sit, paw etc for each little bite. Sounds like he is not a pack leader and the pups know this. Will only get worse if it isn't handled I am sure. Hang in there we have MANY who know much about behavior and training so better advice will come. Much has already been given as well. Good luck to you, this is a tough situation for sure.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Ihave never had this problem with the EBD but I have had this problem with the Great Danes. The females would fight for Alpha dominance and it could get ugly. Working with them as previously advised is a good method and I also used a super soaker water gun filled with vinegar and lemon juice just in case they started battling. I squirted it right in their face and sometimes it got in their eyes but it stopped them. Not the preferred method but Danes are so large, you don't want to be in the middle when they start to fight. They would see me coming at them with the super soaker and run which normally stopped all fighting. High powered super soakers work pretty good. Good Luck!

M

mabel lou

If it were me, I would actually have him do this inside the house first just by simply placing the leash on the both of them and just standing there, now if one should show any kind of sign may it be posture or hair standing up or even a growl then I would place that one back in the cage for a few minutes and then do it yet again and repeat it over and over. As tiring as it may be or possibly frustrating it will be the whole point is that in order for him to learn how to be a pack leader he must take steps in a direction of showing them he is the pack leader and this is done merely by letting them know that bad behavior will not be accepted and they will go in their cage and this will continue until they understand that he is not playing. I think baby steps in the home is where it should begin because this is were he is and they are. I hope it all works out for you, I am interested to hear how it all works out.

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Our boys are not allowed on the furniture, that isn't an issue at our home.

I've had bulldogs for years, and have NEVER had this problem. It is so frustrating and scary, actually.

The boys walk well leashed and one person walking them. There is no fighting on walks, there is no fighting in the yard when they are out alone.

The fights are only when they are in the house with Jim. I like the leash idea in the house and the idea about giving permission before each thing is given. For me they must wait at the door for permission to enter the house or exit it...dad opens the door and it is a free for all as they scramble in.

They do not listen to him or to his commands as they are said in a loving voice. Now for myself, no one brooks anything I say. If I say STAY, they by golly stay. If I say wait, they wait. I think this is because they know I mean it. We'll use leashes tonight and the crate.

We are to go away for Thanksgiving, leaving them with our 18 year old house sitter...because of this behavior, our older boy is going with us so she will not have to try to work out this behavior. My personal belief is that with Jim out of the house they will be angels for her, they are for me...but I can't risk that.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well anytime you see one posture over another stop it immediately, before the fight starts. Sometimes you don't have the chance to stop it though, so you need to look for the signs or the look right before the fight starts and stop it. I would start with having your husband walk them together. You may need to help at first to see how it goes. You take one and Hubby takes the other. If they start to fight or get aggressive you can stop it immediately. If they get on the couch with you or your husband, I would start by making them stay off the couch until they start getting along again. The one starting the fight I will grab by the side and submit them, but if you are not careful and do not know how to do it, you can get bite, so be careful. I think the walks will help and once they walk well together with the both of you, let hubby take both of them together, until they start getting along. This takes time and you need to be consistent with it. Make them earn or work for everything. They sit before eating, they sit before going outside and you go out the door first, they sit before they get affection, this is just some of the things you can try to get started. good luck.

Perfect advice ^^^^ and you can read up on NILF.. nothing in life is free - make the bullies work for everything

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.