Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: So hard...fighting and hurting each other :(

Real Name
    Barbara Davis, CPDT-KA, CDBC
    Bulldog(s) Names
    none of my own
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: So hard...fighting and hurting each other :(

It would be worth the money to have a qualified behaviorist come in to evaluate your situation. Then you'd know exactly what was going on and the best way to address it. These situations can escalate rapidly if they're not addressed quickly, so the sooner you get someone in for an intervention, the better.
    Last edited by kazzy220; 04-11-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Removed link to outside website

Real Name
    Brian
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Brandi (RIP), Jackson (RIP),Ca$h (RIP), Miss Daisey, Sir Winford, Charlee, Darla, and Stuart
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraDavis View Post
    It would be worth the money to have a qualified behaviorist come in to evaluate your situation. Then you'd know exactly what was going on and the best way to address it. These situations can escalate rapidly if they're not addressed quickly, so the sooner you get someone in for an intervention, the better. You can find great canine behavior consultants at www.iaabc.org.
    I agree with Barbara 100%. See I am going through a similar situation with 2 females that weI have. The first 2 weeks that they were together, they got along with no problems at all. Now my oldest female wants to attack our newest when she is out on the couch. We contacted a behaviorist and are working through the problems via positive reinforcement rather than trying to make the older one submit (Cesar Milan type mentality). I am completely on board with the behaviorist and in the first week of doing this have seen nothing but major improvements. In our first meeting we learned that you have only 3 seconds to resolve an issue before it can occur and that it takes 36 hours for the dog to forget that the incident ever happened (adrenaline to go back to normal). We went from having several occurances every day to one every few days.

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like Stonewall has a great new home and you have peace of mind. Sometimes that is all we can ask for at the end of the day.
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Wahlen View Post
    I agree with Barbara 100%. See I am going through a similar situation with 2 females that weI have. The first 2 weeks that they were together, they got along with no problems at all. Now my oldest female wants to attack our newest when she is out on the couch. We contacted a behaviorist and are working through the problems via positive reinforcement rather than trying to make the older one submit (Cesar Milan type mentality). I am completely on board with the behaviorist and in the first week of doing this have seen nothing but major improvements. In our first meeting we learned that you have only 3 seconds to resolve an issue before it can occur and that it takes 36 hours for the dog to forget that the incident ever happened (adrenaline to go back to normal). We went from having several occurances every day to one every few days.
    I'm a confident dog handler and a follower of Mr. Millan and I rather doubt that he would "make the older one submit" in this situation. I think he'd say this: your dogs need exercise, discipline and then affection. In that order. I also think he'd say you need to disagree with the attacking behavior and reward cooperative behaviors.

Positive reinforcement is THE way to go, I agree!

Real Name
    Brian
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Brandi (RIP), Jackson (RIP),Ca$h (RIP), Miss Daisey, Sir Winford, Charlee, Darla, and Stuart
    Likes (Received)

This is just my opinion.

There are some positive aspects of Mr. Milan's training, but I also believe that there are many negative aspects. I do not believe in the aversive training techniques that he teaches such as: Flooding, finger pokes, leash jerks and alpha rolls. My opinion is that all of these create unpleasant sensations which can sometimes cause unwanted stress and fear within dogs. This fear may be why a dog may avoid the behavior in the future, but what if it doesn't? I believe that this could all lead to additional behavioral problems. A better approach is that of Ian Dunbar, which is a positive- reinforcement/rewards based approach, and is not physical in anyway like Mr. Milan's.
    Last edited by BrianW; 04-12-2013 at 04:01 PM.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Wahlen View Post
    This is just my opinion.

There are some positive aspects of Mr. Milan's training, but I also believe that there are many negative aspects. I do not believe in the aversive training techniques that he teaches such as: Flooding, finger pokes, leash jerks and alpha rolls. My opinion is that all of these create unpleasant sensations which can sometimes cause unwanted stress and fear within dogs. This fear may be why a dog may avoid the behavior in the future, but what if it doesn't? I believe that this could all lead to additional behavioral problems. A better approach is that of Ian Dunbar, which is a positive- reinforcement/rewards based approach, and is not physical in anyway like Mr. Milan's.
    I am also a big fan of Ian Dunbar. I have two pretty amazing dogs that are so thanks to the teachings of Cesar Millan. I think they key with any method is to take the parts you are capable of properly executing and leave the rest.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove Ads