Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 15

Thread: Food makes Remi go ballistic

  1. #1
    Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    882
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Food makes Remi go ballistic

    Recently got the the Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost Bites in beef flavor as a healthier snack alternative for Remi, but there is one small issue...

    He can't handle them. He goes ballistic!!!!!!!!!! All of his training just goes right out the window. He will sit, lay down, come, etc, but he'll also bite the crap out of your hand to get to them, and jump all over you.

    Has anyone ever faced this issue? I certainly don't want to take away a food he loves, but he is acting crazy pants and the behavior is totally not something I want to reward. I mean, if it was a kids hand, it could have been bad.



  2. #2
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    LynnA's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,370
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Food makes Remi go ballistic

    He is a real character that Remi....Otis does that while playing, he just gets overly excited and wants what he wants when he wants it. I'd say a little time out may do him some good when he's in that mood. Although I as I say that because I'm a push over with Otis......
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

  3. #3
    Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bulldogs4me's Avatar
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,928
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    17
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Food makes Remi go ballistic

    @ModernFemme - I would suggest using a little dog psychology and command training with him ... dog psychology = make him work for the treat, he has to show complete calm submission to earn this much valued reward and command training = put him in a sit stay before he is given his treat ... if his mind in working he won't have time to be all bonkers ... so step by step ... Remi sit, stay then wait for complete calm submission then reward with this treat he loves so much - if he breaks his sit stay hold the reward until he is sitting staying and completely calm before you reward, this may take a few attempts but let him figure it out its best to work their little minds, they understand that much better when they have to work for it.
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

  4. #4
    .........
    Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    2,981
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Re: Food makes Remi go ballistic

    We are going through the same thing with Bacon right now, trying to break the I'm a psycho and I'm going to jump all over you thing. We are doing exactly what @bulldogs4me suggested. It's been slow going but it's getting better. I was the one that created the issue by playing with him and it didn't dawn on me that it would become a problem, until I realized we are going to the in-laws with him next week for day next week and my mother in law just had knee replacement surgery. 55lbs of bully slamming into her knee running full speed would NOT be good. Repetition has been the key so far with us.

  5. #5
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Food makes Remi go ballistic

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs4me View Post
    @ModernFemme - I would suggest using a little dog psychology and command training with him ... dog psychology = make him work for the treat, he has to show complete calm submission to earn this much valued reward and command training = put him in a sit stay before he is given his treat ... if his mind in working he won't have time to be all bonkers ... so step by step ... Remi sit, stay then wait for complete calm submission then reward with this treat he loves so much - if he breaks his sit stay hold the reward until he is sitting staying and completely calm before you reward, this may take a few attempts but let him figure it out its best to work their little minds, they understand that much better when they have to work for it.

    Good advice above!!!

  6. #6
    Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    882
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Food makes Remi go ballistic

    Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    Good advice above!!!
    DUH! @bulldogs4me. Remi used to do this exact same thing with this food, and I would tell him to sit. The first 20 times, he would sit, but he would be so antsy that his butt was barely touching the floor. Staying? Yeah right!!! He couldn't handle it. Now, it's evolved to the point where I hold the bowl, he sits, stares at me as still as if he were snoozing on the couch, and then makes a mad dash as soon as I put the bowl to the floor.

    I don't see why I can't do the same thing with his treat - he has just never been this head over heels for his treats before, which we typically use for training. I'm like OMG, he is listening, but it's sloppy and sporatic, and super fast!!!! Stay? He hasn't quite worked on that yet.

    I've heard stay isn't always used as a command because animals should sit, lay down, etc, until you tell them otherwise. Any tips for bulldogs?

    Training wise, he is great indoors, but he's starting to decide, when we're outside, to not listen. It's amazing because when I had these new treats, he did everything but ask me how high he should jump to snatch them out of my hand. He's not stupid. He's just stubborn as hell!!!

    AND OMG. My cat got a taste of the crumbs I left on the entry table and she is going crazy over the box of treats!!!!!! This stuff is like crack for animals!!



  7. #7
    Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bulldogs4me's Avatar
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,928
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    17
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Food makes Remi go ballistic

    Quote Originally Posted by ModernFemme View Post
    DUH! @bulldogs4me. Remi used to do this exact same thing with this food, and I would tell him to sit. The first 20 times, he would sit, but he would be so antsy that his butt was barely touching the floor. Staying? Yeah right!!! He couldn't handle it. Now, it's evolved to the point where I hold the bowl, he sits, stares at me as still as if he were snoozing on the couch, and then makes a mad dash as soon as I put the bowl to the floor.

    I don't see why I can't do the same thing with his treat - he has just never been this head over heels for his treats before, which we typically use for training. I'm like OMG, he is listening, but it's sloppy and sporatic, and super fast!!!! Stay? He hasn't quite worked on that yet.

    I've heard stay isn't always used as a command because animals should sit, lay down, etc, until you tell them otherwise. Any tips for bulldogs?

    Training wise, he is great indoors, but he's starting to decide, when we're outside, to not listen. It's amazing because when I had these new treats, he did everything but ask me how high he should jump to snatch them out of my hand. He's not stupid. He's just stubborn as hell!!!

    AND OMG. My cat got a taste of the crumbs I left on the entry table and she is going crazy over the box of treats!!!!!! This stuff is like crack for animals!!
    I tend to you the command "Wait" more then "Stay" mainly because if I put them in a stay like you said, they are NOT to move until I release them, so when I do treats, food or anything I plan to release right away I use "Wait" so for the treat with my own dogs I say .... Sit, Wait, once they are calm and submissive I give them the treat.

    For outside ... recall is so important, what I do is use a extra long recall lead so once they are farther away and choose to not listen to me, I can still have control and can make them come back with the recall lead.

    With all training it all about Consistency!! Show them what you expect of them, give the word command and stick with it!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

  8. #8
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,638
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2118

    Default Re: Food makes Remi go ballistic

    So this stuff is like dog nip.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

  9. #9
    Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    882
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Food makes Remi go ballistic

    I just realized this food is also for cats... this explains why Mika is going just as crazy as Remi is!



  10. #10
    "Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington State
    Posts
    5,794
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Food makes Remi go ballistic

    I love what @bulldogs4me has suggested.

    Can I suggest taking it one step further? Since you are trying to inspire CALM in a dog that's going bonkers for a treat, try using NO SOUND. All that "Sit Remi, Sit Remi, Remi, Remi, Remi, Sit Remi" can also be "exciting" to a young mind. Call upon your inner CALM AND ASSERTIVE self and show him the treat. Stand completely still and calm. The SECOND he sits still and looks you in the eyes; REWARD. Lightening fast. He will quickly put two and two together, I can assure you. I taught Bo this little bit for the same reason and he still remembers it. He will sit like a friggin STATUE and LOOK RIGHT INTO MY EYES to get that cookie/cheese/whatever.

    Another thing this reinforces is that YOU control treats. I used to also pretend to eat them (and their meals too) first when he and Bea were both pups. Because the pack leader eats first.

  11. #11
    .........
    Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    2,981
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Re: Food makes Remi go ballistic

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Another thing this reinforces is that YOU control treats. I used to also pretend to eat them (and their meals too) first when he and Bea were both pups. Because the pack leader eats first.
    Hahaha I do this to Bacon some times just to get him all riled up, like wait Dad is eating my food what is up with that?????????

  12. #12
    "Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington State
    Posts
    5,794
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Food makes Remi go ballistic

    Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    Hahaha I do this to Bacon some times just to get him all riled up, like wait Dad is eating my food what is up with that?????????
    OMGoodness! Why in the world would you want to get him riled up? It's cute when they're little but riled up looks decidedly different when they're 75 lbs and tromping right over their sister......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •