General Question Food makes Remi go ballistic

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Recently got the the Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost Bites in beef flavor as a healthier snack alternative for Remi, but there is one small issue...

He can't handle them. He goes ballistic!!!!!!!!!! All of his training just goes right out the window. He will sit, lay down, come, etc, but he'll also bite the crap out of your hand to get to them, and jump all over you. :eek::eek:

Has anyone ever faced this issue? I certainly don't want to take away a food he loves, but he is acting crazy pants and the behavior is totally not something I want to reward. I mean, if it was a kids hand, it could have been bad.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
He is a real character that Remi....Otis does that while playing, he just gets overly excited and wants what he wants when he wants it. I'd say a little time out may do him some good when he's in that mood. Although I :blush2: as I say that because I'm a push over with Otis......

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION] - I would suggest using a little dog psychology and command training with him ... dog psychology = make him work for the treat, he has to show complete calm submission to earn this much valued reward and command training = put him in a sit stay before he is given his treat ... if his mind in working he won't have time to be all bonkers ... so step by step ... Remi sit, stay then wait for complete calm submission then reward with this treat he loves so much - if he breaks his sit stay hold the reward until he is sitting staying and completely calm before you reward, this may take a few attempts but let him figure it out its best to work their little minds, they understand that much better when they have to work for it.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We are going through the same thing with Bacon right now, trying to break the I'm a psycho and I'm going to jump all over you thing. We are doing exactly what [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] suggested. It's been slow going but it's getting better. I was the one that created the issue by playing with him and it didn't dawn on me that it would become a problem, until I realized we are going to the in-laws with him next week for :thanks6:day next week and my mother in law just had knee replacement surgery. 55lbs of bully slamming into her knee running full speed would NOT be good. Repetition has been the key so far with us.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@ModernFemme - I would suggest using a little dog psychology and command training with him ... dog psychology = make him work for the treat, he has to show complete calm submission to earn this much valued reward and command training = put him in a sit stay before he is given his treat ... if his mind in working he won't have time to be all bonkers ... so step by step ... Remi sit, stay then wait for complete calm submission then reward with this treat he loves so much - if he breaks his sit stay hold the reward until he is sitting staying and completely calm before you reward, this may take a few attempts but let him figure it out its best to work their little minds, they understand that much better when they have to work for it.

Good advice above!!! :goodpost:

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Good advice above!!! :goodpost:

DUH! [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION]. Remi used to do this exact same thing with this food, and I would tell him to sit. The first 20 times, he would sit, but he would be so antsy that his butt was barely touching the floor. Staying? Yeah right!!! He couldn't handle it. Now, it's evolved to the point where I hold the bowl, he sits, stares at me as still as if he were snoozing on the couch, and then makes a mad dash as soon as I put the bowl to the floor.

I don't see why I can't do the same thing with his treat - he has just never been this head over heels for his treats before, which we typically use for training. I'm like OMG, he is listening, but it's sloppy and sporatic, and super fast!!!! Stay? He hasn't quite worked on that yet.

I've heard stay isn't always used as a command because animals should sit, lay down, etc, until you tell them otherwise. Any tips for bulldogs?

Training wise, he is great indoors, but he's starting to decide, when we're outside, to not listen. It's amazing because when I had these new treats, he did everything but ask me how high he should jump to snatch them out of my hand. He's not stupid. He's just stubborn as hell!!!

AND OMG. My cat got a taste of the crumbs I left on the entry table and she is going crazy over the box of treats!!!!!! This stuff is like crack for animals!!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
DUH! @bulldogs4me. Remi used to do this exact same thing with this food, and I would tell him to sit. The first 20 times, he would sit, but he would be so antsy that his butt was barely touching the floor. Staying? Yeah right!!! He couldn't handle it. Now, it's evolved to the point where I hold the bowl, he sits, stares at me as still as if he were snoozing on the couch, and then makes a mad dash as soon as I put the bowl to the floor.

I don't see why I can't do the same thing with his treat - he has just never been this head over heels for his treats before, which we typically use for training. I'm like OMG, he is listening, but it's sloppy and sporatic, and super fast!!!! Stay? He hasn't quite worked on that yet.

I've heard stay isn't always used as a command because animals should sit, lay down, etc, until you tell them otherwise. Any tips for bulldogs?

Training wise, he is great indoors, but he's starting to decide, when we're outside, to not listen. It's amazing because when I had these new treats, he did everything but ask me how high he should jump to snatch them out of my hand. He's not stupid. He's just stubborn as hell!!!

AND OMG. My cat got a taste of the crumbs I left on the entry table and she is going crazy over the box of treats!!!!!! This stuff is like crack for animals!!

I tend to you the command "Wait" more then "Stay" mainly because if I put them in a stay like you said, they are NOT to move until I release them, so when I do treats, food or anything I plan to release right away I use "Wait" so for the treat with my own dogs I say .... Sit, Wait, once they are calm and submissive I give them the treat.

For outside ... recall is so important, what I do is use a extra long recall lead so once they are farther away and choose to not listen to me, I can still have control and can make them come back with the recall lead.

With all training it all about Consistency!! Show them what you expect of them, give the word command and stick with it!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I just realized this food is also for cats... this explains why Mika is going just as crazy as Remi is!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I love what [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] has suggested.

Can I suggest taking it one step further? Since you are trying to inspire CALM in a dog that's going bonkers for a treat, try using NO SOUND. All that "Sit Remi, Sit Remi, Remi, Remi, Remi, Sit Remi" can also be "exciting" to a young mind. Call upon your inner CALM AND ASSERTIVE self and show him the treat. Stand completely still and calm. The SECOND he sits still and looks you in the eyes; REWARD. Lightening fast. He will quickly put two and two together, I can assure you. I taught Bo this little bit for the same reason and he still remembers it. He will sit like a friggin STATUE and LOOK RIGHT INTO MY EYES to get that cookie/cheese/whatever.

Another thing this reinforces is that YOU control treats. I used to also pretend to eat them (and their meals too) first when he and Bea were both pups. Because the pack leader eats first.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Another thing this reinforces is that YOU control treats. I used to also pretend to eat them (and their meals too) first when he and Bea were both pups. Because the pack leader eats first.

Hahaha I do this to Bacon some times just to get him all riled up, like wait Dad is eating my food what is up with that?????????

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Hahaha I do this to Bacon some times just to get him all riled up, like wait Dad is eating my food what is up with that?????????

OMGoodness! Why in the world would you want to get him riled up? It's cute when they're little but riled up looks decidedly different when they're 75 lbs and tromping right over their sister......:D

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
OMGoodness! Why in the world would you want to get him riled up? It's cute when they're little but riled up looks decidedly different when they're 75 lbs and tromping right over their sister......:D

Because he talks in Ewok language when I do it and it cracks me up

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
When Usko was a baby I use to keep the treat tightly in my fingers and let him have it only if he didn't try to get it and looked me in to my eyes. OK, if Remy really bites that can make your fingers bleed...Usko was really just nibbling.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.