General Question Silly bully or showing dominance?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
We try to curb his enthusiasm for this kind of dominance play as some dogs take offense to it!

Particularly dogs that are already not very confident. They'll see this as an "attack" and the scrap is on. Good point, [MENTION=6861]AllisonXX[/MENTION]

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm in two minds on this. Dominant behavior I've seen usually has the bully standing with his whole body over the other ones head. Maggie used to do it and would puff her tiny little self up so that she looked as big as she could (at 35lb it wasn't that much!!). Linus does the same ... puffs out his chest and stands stiff legged over the other dogs head and shoulders. In both cases the other dog completely ignored them!!! However I've never seen resting their head on the others. .... and that's why Im not sure if its dominance or not. Next time check out the body posture. Is he standing stiff legged and making himself look bigger, or is he relaxed??

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm in two minds on this. Dominant behavior I've seen usually has the bully standing with his whole body over the other ones head. Maggie used to do it and would puff her tiny little self up so that she looked as big as she could (at 35lb it wasn't that much!!). Linus does the same ... puffs out his chest and stands stiff legged over the other dogs head and shoulders. In both cases the other dog completely ignored them!!! However I've never seen resting their head on the others. .... and that's why Im not sure if its dominance or not. Next time check out the body posture. Is he standing stiff legged and making himself look bigger, or is he relaxed??

Yes I was going to say it really depends on the "stance". If they are using the confidence stance like Karen described above I would think it's dominance. When I lay down on the floor to play with my bullies they usually lay all the way down comfortably or run in circles even when above me. Also the head down butt up in the air stance is only playful.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.