General Question Silly bully or showing dominance?

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I would love to get all the behavior guru's take on this...

When I am playing with Rook on the floor, if I lay down he will stand perpendicular to me and rest is entire face over my face. I literally get covered in a blanket of soft bully neck wrinkles. He isn't aggressive about, just very serious about resting his head there. If I try to wiggle away (so I can breathe) he moves closer so he can continue suffocating me. He remains standing, so it doesn't seem like he is trying to get snuggled up to me either... although sometimes he does make a snoring noise. When I sit up, he goes right back to being playful.

Do any other bullies do this? I am just curious if he is being goofy like always, or maybe somehow trying to show dominance or ownership of me. Any ideas?

ps I'd love to get a picture of this, because I am sure it looks hilarious... but it's kind of hard when your buried under a bully. :)

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Yes! Layla does this exact thing! What is this? When I lay on the floor or on my knees, she becomes a statue and puts her neck/ chin over my mouth/ neck...it is so funny. We always thought this was "just Layla" (as opposed to her brother, who tries to hump me anytime I am in range...gah!).....

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
Philly is doin the same thing to my wife and daughter but never on me, he just usually put his head on my chest or feet.

OP
LaurenA

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Yes! Layla does this exact thing! What is this? When I lay on the floor or on my knees, she becomes a statue and puts her neck/ chin over my mouth/ neck...it is so funny. We always thought this was "just Layla" (as opposed to her brother, who tries to hump me anytime I am in range...gah!).....

Lol! I'm glad Rook is in good company! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hmm: ... I am thinking this is some form of dominance/ownership due to you being on your back under him and he is standing OVER you. He is not showing aggressive dominance but he is letting you know he is alpha, which you probably do not want.

Gotta say, it must be pretty darn funny though.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I would also say a form of dominance. It's hard cause they work it so well and you just melt but even leaning on you is dominance and testing you.

Kain will come to bed and lean on my wife but not me, I say come on bud and have to lay him down myself but in the day he steam rolls my wife and knows when I speak he listens so be careful every inch adds up and you will have to clamp down to re-earn it at a later date.

Working on my wife and kids to take roll again as he doesn't respect the way I want him too for them and is clearly different for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I say it's a form of dominance too, but it really depends on the bully. For example, Punkin doesn't have a dominant bone in his body (except for the humping when he's playing, so it's more a form of excitement), so when and if he rests his chin on someone or somebully, it's only because he needs help holding his big ol' heavy head up.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
:hmm: ... I am thinking this is some form of dominance/ownership due to you being on your back under him and he is standing OVER you. He is not showing aggressive dominance but he is letting you know he is alpha, which you probably do not want.

Gotta say, it must be pretty darn funny though.

I agree with this. Although most of the time I'm laughing when Remi attempts this, it's definitely him bullying you. We just shake the can at him to show it's not acceptable behavior, and Remi goes to do something else. I may also stand over him as well depending how severe he's being. I'm kind of a jerk that way.

OP
LaurenA

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Thanks everyone! It's funny to hear other bullies are doing this too.
I find the whole thing hilarious when it happens, but if it's a dominance thing I probably don't want to let him get away with it.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon does the same thing when we are playing, if I'm sitting he will come up and nuzzle my chin too. With Jen he likes to climb up on her shoulders if she is sitting down.

AllisonXX

Nov 8, 2012
Northwest Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Monty
It could be a reaction to your posture of laying on your back with belly showing, a submissive pose for dogs. Or playtime could bring out a more dominant character in him like with our guy. He likes to put his paws on other dogs shoulders and backs during play, sometimes going so far as humping. We try to curb his enthusiasm for this kind of dominance play as some dogs take offense to it!

Most Reactions