Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silly bully or showing dominance?

Bulldog Vet in Training LaurenA's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rook
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Silly bully or showing dominance?

Thanks everyone! It's funny to hear other bullies are doing this too.
    I find the whole thing hilarious when it happens, but if it's a dominance thing I probably don't want to let him get away with it.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Bacon does the same thing when we are playing, if I'm sitting he will come up and nuzzle my chin too. With Jen he likes to climb up on her shoulders if she is sitting down.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

It could be a reaction to your posture of laying on your back with belly showing, a submissive pose for dogs. Or playtime could bring out a more dominant character in him like with our guy. He likes to put his paws on other dogs shoulders and backs during play, sometimes going so far as humping. We try to curb his enthusiasm for this kind of dominance play as some dogs take offense to it!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AllisonXX View Post
    We try to curb his enthusiasm for this kind of dominance play as some dogs take offense to it!
    Particularly dogs that are already not very confident. They'll see this as an "attack" and the scrap is on. Good point, @AllisonXX

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I'm in two minds on this. Dominant behavior I've seen usually has the bully standing with his whole body over the other ones head. Maggie used to do it and would puff her tiny little self up so that she looked as big as she could (at 35lb it wasn't that much!!). Linus does the same ... puffs out his chest and stands stiff legged over the other dogs head and shoulders. In both cases the other dog completely ignored them!!! However I've never seen resting their head on the others. .... and that's why Im not sure if its dominance or not. Next time check out the body posture. Is he standing stiff legged and making himself look bigger, or is he relaxed??

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    I'm in two minds on this. Dominant behavior I've seen usually has the bully standing with his whole body over the other ones head. Maggie used to do it and would puff her tiny little self up so that she looked as big as she could (at 35lb it wasn't that much!!). Linus does the same ... puffs out his chest and stands stiff legged over the other dogs head and shoulders. In both cases the other dog completely ignored them!!! However I've never seen resting their head on the others. .... and that's why Im not sure if its dominance or not. Next time check out the body posture. Is he standing stiff legged and making himself look bigger, or is he relaxed??
    Yes I was going to say it really depends on the "stance". If they are using the confidence stance like Karen described above I would think it's dominance. When I lay down on the floor to play with my bullies they usually lay all the way down comfortably or run in circles even when above me. Also the head down butt up in the air stance is only playful.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads