General Question Obedience (HA!) Training

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
When did most of you guys start training your bullies and taking them to professional classes? We're thinking about taking some obedience classes turning these terrible 2's Remi is going through right now. He just turned 4 months. In certain environments and times he is starting to flat out ignore me.

On the leash in the yard is the biggest issue I'm having. When people are near. Or sometimes he is a huge clown in the morning and will run up the stairs and not come when I call him.

He used to be such a nice puppy... ha ha ha.

So, is there a particular age I should start? Yesterday??

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We did our first round of training at 3 1/2 months. Now at 11 months we have just started our second level. My boy is generally very well behaved but, like you, will ignore me when he is distracted. He likes to come outside with me off leash and it's very important that he always follow my instructions to keep him safe. I think it is good that you are aware of these little signs now and are considering ways to get your pup back on track. The sooner you start, the easier it will be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
With training, it's the earlier the better, but the only consideration you have to worry about is if they've had all their vaccinations, most places like Petsmart, will ask for proof, they even asked me to show them proof before they would groom them. That's a good thing, because then you know the place they are going doesn't have any dogs that aren't vaccinated. But in your case your little guy is 4 months old, so definetly has all his shots up to date, so should be safe to go to classes. He's at a good age to start. Good Luck,

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
the earlier you starting training the better, and consistency is the golden ticket! plus classes can be so fun, good socialization, for doggies and their parents.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
as long as your puppy has their second round of shots... you can start training classess

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Remi has all shots, thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!

csandvik

Jul 3, 2012
Woodbridge, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
As people have said the earlier the better, but that's not going to help you now. I wish I lived closer I would love to train him for you. Start now! :) Just be consistent and fair. He will be okay, it kinda sound as if he just needs to know his place and have gain a little confidence.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I started with Izzy as early as 3 months, now she is 4 months and has all the shots and we are about to finish our 7 week training class (yes I kept her at the same place where the trainer made some comments about the breed and after politely talking to her she apologized and has been paying some extra attention to us in class!).

Another approach that you might take is to take advantade of the million training videos on youtube. I watched several of them and was able to put in practice at home and teach her a few tricks!

But I still think that the training is a great method for socialization and also help us to correct some of our mistakes as pet owners.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.