URGENT!!! English Bulldog out of control?!

Cheyx0x

Oct 5, 2011
Hello, I have an English Bulldog and he is 2 years old. He is peeing everywhere and is starting to attack everyone in the house. He gets everything love, the best food, walks, playtime, toys, pretty much everything! Idk why is he acting this way. Can someone please give some info on why is he doing this. =/:blink::eek::excited::cursing::pray:

p.s. thank you desertskybulldogs for telling me how to post this!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well... sounds like you have hit the terrible twos --- back to basic training for you and your bully.

He needs leadership and to know you are his boss. Did you do obedience classes with him?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
is he fixed? sounds like he has reached "puberty" and is marking and showing his Alpha dominance. I have only girls, but this is my guess.

OP
C

Cheyx0x

Oct 5, 2011
No I didn't do classes with him my family and I trained him myself and he was good for awhile but now he is way out of hand.

OP
C

Cheyx0x

Oct 5, 2011
No I never gotten him fixed..yet lol. I guess that could be the problem, I heard that calms them down a lot?

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We went through the rotten 2s starting at around 15 months old. Ours turned 2 Oct. 16th and hes justnow starting to tamper off but he is still a butt at times lol. Ours would mark anything we wore or used a lot ie coats shoes clothes beds. He also would charge at us and stop right at our feet like he was trying to scare us when he was unhappy with us. Ended up being him exerting dominance and claiming alpha. We would correct him when we caught him marking and when hed charge us. A spray bottle was very handy. We got real strict with his training again and reclaimed our status as alpha. A lot of people on this forum gave me great advice on how to handle it. Other than his child like attitude he is a lot better now so it does get better. I feel for you its not fun.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Our Otis would pee on anything cloth before he was fixed. I agree he probably needs to be fixed.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
@ Cheyx0x - I want to try and help but can I get a little more information before I try ... 1. when you say he "attacks" everyone in the house, do you mean attack with vicious intent? is he making bite contact and drawing blood? or does he play rough and that's what you mean by attack. 2. you said he gets walks, how far and how long do the walks last and how many times a week do you take him on a "structured walk"? 3. you said your family has done all the training, which training method are you using?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think it would be a huge step in the right direction to get him neutered. It may certainly help ... but you also have hit the terrible 2's!!! That can surface anytime between 18 - 24 months (give or take a couple of months). WE've just been experiencing the same thing with Daddy who was 2 years old in August even though he was neutered as a puppy. He became very aggressive towards a couple of the other dogs, and it continued to escalate until we were even discussing having to find him a new home with no other dogs.

After talking to an animal trainer and behaviourist, we realised a few key things that we had let slip ... such as basic commands and training so we went back to the beginning. Started to make him sit, give us his paw and wait in front of his bowl of food. We didn't let him eat until we gave our command. Something so simple seems to have put balance and order back in our home when we thought it was totally gone. I'm not saying that he doesn't have relapses but going back to basics seems to have helped in a HUGE way.

So I suggest you try the same thing immediately. Return to that basic training and get your alpha position back again. And whilst you are doing that I would get that vet visit booked for his neuter!!

OP
C

Cheyx0x

Oct 5, 2011
[MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] for me: He is very vicious he has not drawn any blood yet but comes very close to it. When we walk we normally walk about 7 blocks last about and an hour or so then back and when we get back home he is really tired and recently with the storm that has hit NYC he has not really been on a walk. But I have a backyard and he has been out there to run around. We normally just teach them how to behave and when they act up we do instruct them on what they did wrong. He trued 2 this May and from the Summer till now he has really gotten out of hand.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I agree with the others, 1. Neutering him, if he is not a breeding dog it's better for him to be neutered & 2. Back to basics for training ... to start, since he is vicious with intent to bite, I would strongly suggest going to the dollar store and buying a short leash that you can leave on him all the time so when someone comes to visit or anything that tends to set him off you have a leash on him and can correct him immediately ...you need to pay attention to his "triggers" and give an immediate correction to break his focus and redirect his behavior. to redirect his focus, you can give the leash a slight pull to the side, don't pull back on the leash that just makes him feel held back and adds to the testosterone led dominance/aggression. the correction should NEVER be done in a way that could hurt him, its just a slight pull/tug to the side to snap him out of it and then you can redirect his behavior. If you have a crate, put it out of the main gathering place in your home, so that you can remove him when he is showing signs of aggression and/or dominance ... when he acts up, you can also use sound aversion to snap him out of it, a stern "ATAT" then remove him from the room, wait in the other room until he has relaxed and calmed down completely, then you can lead him back into the main room, if he repeats the behavior do the "ATAT" and remove him from the room again ... it could take 1 time or 99 times, but consistency is the key, same correction each and every single time he misbehaves and everyone in the house needs to be patient and follow the same steps once he understands everyone disagrees with his behavior you can change it permanently. I would also suggest taking him to a training class, it does a lot of good to work with a trainer. Once you have put yourself in the Pack Leader position, you can teach him anything and he will give you the respect you deserve and he won't act out the way he is now. good luck

[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] - hope you can help and give some training tips

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] - hope you can help and give some training tips

I don't have anything else to add! You guys covered it!

Caution is required before labeling a dog "vicious". Like most here, I would guess that this dog does not know his place in his pack. (Providing you've ruled out anything medical. Being in pain will make a dog act defensive and snappy! Have him looked at by your vet.) Google "NILIF" or "Nothing In Life is Free" with regard to dogs and practice those leadership activities; and I mean: TO THE LETTER. Rules, boundaries and limitations are what he needs -- and WANTS! I imagine since this "charging" thing has started, the trust has gone out the window too. Dogs will not follow an unstable leader you know and mutual trust is a big part of the balanced human/dog relationship. Good luck. Take your angel for a long walk. It will do you both good. :2thumbs:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm with [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] here. First thing that came to my mind is get him checked by the vet for any medical problems that can cause this kind of behaviour.

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
No help here, but a question do all bullies go thru, this stage... Philly is turning 2 next year, need to prepare!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
No help here, but a question do all bullies go thru, this stage... Philly is turning 2 next year, need to prepare!

No, they don't. My Usko just turned two and has always behaved himself. He can be a stubborn little bugger sometimes, but he has never been bad.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.